Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Thanksgiving Dinner

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/18/dining/thanksgiving-recipes-across-the-united-states.html?_r=0

I know there's already a thanksgiving related thread about games. But what about the food itself? I stumbled upon this article that showcases dishes that are popular by each state, with recipes as well.

Discuss particular dishes that your family makes that are not as common as turkey, stuffing, etc.

I typically make a beef wellington for Thanksgiving and save the typical turkey or ham dinner for Christmas.

I can't say I really do anything that stands out. Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole... Actually I guess the green bean casserole itself is at least somewhat unique, in that I know a lot of people don't do it. Oh, and regarding stuffing, I like to add a bunch of vegetables and bake it, when usually all I ever see is people doing it on the stovetop (and I don't think anyone actually cooks the stuffing in the turkey anymore, because of concerns over food poisoning).

We sometimes take a London broil cut, marinate it overnight in Italian dressing, then broil it for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I've never seen stuffing (which we call "dressing" for some reason) done on the stovetop before. We always do some in the turkey itself, then the rest baked in another pan alongside the turkey. Either way, we make the dressing ourselves rather than use one of the boxed versions.

As a lifelong minnesota resident, I have never eaten, seen or heard of 'grape salad' in any context be it thanksiving, christmas or otherwise.

yukib1t said:

We sometimes take a London broil cut, marinate it overnight in Italian dressing, then broil it for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Skip the Italian dressing and make up a beef brine.
Here is the brine I use.

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup water
6 cloves of garlic
5 fresh rosemary stocks

Removes the rosemary leafs from three of the stocks. Toss both the stock and leafs in while leaving the other rosemary whole. Toss everything into a sauce pan, bring it up to a boil and stir tell the sugar is dissolved. Take it off the heat and add three cups of cold water. Once the brine is cold, dump it into a container large enough to submerge your cut of meat. DO NOT add the meat in tell the brine is cold. You don't want to precook the meat.

Refrigerate for 24 hours and do not exceed 24 hours. Remove the meat from the brine and dump the brine. Sear the outside of the meat than broil it. Ideally you want to broil it to a medium rare. Any longer and you start cooking out the brine and juices. After cooking pull it out at let it rest at room temp for a minimum of 5 min. The longer you let it rest the more time the meat has to reabsorb the juices, I typically let mine rest for 10 min.

If you really want to go all out, get some more fresh rosemary, quickly saute them in a bit of butter and brush the meat with them, than take the leafs off and sprinkle the leafs onto your meat.Do this right before you start carving your meat.

I used to make banana cream pudding every year, until I realized I was the only person who ever ate it.