Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wvlfy

Brutal Doom 2 In Name Only

Heyo!

I'm playing D2INO with the Brutal Doom mod to see how each level performs with a little bit of unstructured reviewing at the end.

These maps are harder than D2INO, moreso with the Brutal Doom mod. Some maps feature little to no cover, making it difficult to survive attacks when they come from all angles (Dead Simple). Others have trap rooms with hit-scan enemies (Entryway, The Crusher) all around you and no chance to take cover.

Here is the first episode with 3 others after it at the time of this post: http://youtu.be/2bmJUobcoSg

Why are you so surprised about the difficulty? It's BD and it's unbalanced, try playing it without it, it may be better off with playing D2INO with Beautiful Doom or Smooth Doom instead.

I'm not that well-versed in the Doom mods, but I started with the Brutal Doom mod and intend to continue with it since it was my objective for this series. It's mostly the love for the blood, gore, and carnage.

I do want to know the trouble behind Brutal Doom, though. The only things I've heard have been about SGTMKIV and even those were vague.
I can agree with the balancing. I started with BD and continued to play it through Doom 1 & 2 because it was the only one I knew that was fast-paced enough to satisfy me. The moment I hit that trap exit in D2INO Entryway and died in a second from all those bullets, I knew I was going to have problems. Dead Simple was especially terrible with its mancubi in the early game (I never expected that much fire).

There are mutators you can download where the project is in Mod DB. One of them gives you regeneration that slowly go's up to 30 health that should be helpful for you. The zombies pissed me of a lot on my first run with BD.

Smooth Doom does look pretty good. No verdict on the gore yet, though. What I saw from the trailers looked like stock death animations.

Any recommended map packs or other elements to add? I don't think I'll go through D2INO again after doing some research about it.

Wvlfy said:

Smooth Doom does look pretty good. No verdict on the gore yet, though. What I saw from the trailers looked like stock death animations.

The mod includes XGIB animations for monsters that don't have them in vanilla, such as the Cacodemon and the Baron. Combining it with Droplets and you'll have a decent gore experience. It's not Rambo up to 11 like BD is but it's close. If you want vanilla gameplay with Brutal blood, Ketchup is a close second.

I can attest the mod I am working on incorporates many of the death animations as well as some Smooth Doom animations for the monsters as well. However, it has no weapons modifications so you can run anything that edits the weapons with it.

Think of it as a vanniliafied (kind of) Brutal Doom without all the extra junk that slows it down.

Thanks for the suggestions, though I can't switch mods so easily since I labeled this as a Brutal Doom playthrough.

Using the Sperglord edition for the rest of my recordings. Whether this means less deaths or time spent per level, I can only hope.

Glaice said:

I can attest the mod I am working on incorporates many of the death animations as well as some Smooth Doom animations for the monsters as well. However, it has no weapons modifications so you can run anything that edits the weapons with it.

Think of it as a vanniliafied (kind of) Brutal Doom without all the extra junk that slows it down.

thank you. as i see, your mod and smooth doom do pretty much the same. that's exactly what i'm looking for too: doom with smoother, more varied and gorier animations, but vanilla gameplay, which i like more than that of brutal doom. i've used the ketchup mod for this since it came out.

edit: just berserked a bit with ketchup and found the splatter sound annoyingly loud... you barely hear anyone else in the game when you splatter someone :(

I avoid Ketchup because it gibs with the shotgun or pistol. Makes no sense to me!