Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

What are some good UDK + Unreal 4 FPS

I'm playing a FPS (Legendary) made with UDK. It feels like I'm playing Duke Nukem Forever. It also feels like another UDK FPS. I'm starting to think its UDK + Unreal 4 FPS that people don't like. I don't hate them. I just think wow they feel the same. Just different enemies. What are the good FPS out there?

I don't know of any UDK fps I really like. Tower of guns is decent though. But the UDK feel is still very much there.

StevieCybernetik said:

Heh, nice one.

I didn't understand it.

BlackFish said:

The only Unreal 4 game I'm waiting for is UT4.

Let's hope it won't suck as hard as UT3.

To be honest though, I am highly sceptical that UT4 would be a pure arena shooter like the older games. Even if they keep the basic gameplay premise the same there will probably still be some modern influences like unlocks and level progression.

I would recommend Hard Reset Extended Edition, which is an old school hardcore shooter with an amazing gfx engine and Ziggurat, a roguelike procedurally-generated projectile-based dodge-heavy shooter with delicious colorful gfx.

VGA said:

I would recommend Hard Reset Extended Edition, which is an old school hardcore shooter with an amazing gfx engine and Ziggurat, a roguelike procedurally-generated projectile-based dodge-heavy shooter with delicious colorful gfx.

None of those are built with Unreal Engine.

Oh, ok but they're just good shooters!

The best uses of Unreal engine are IMO:

Mass Effect 2+3
the three Batman:Arkham games
Dishonored
Mirror's Edge
the new Mortal Kombat games
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 1+2
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within

Most of them aren't FPSes though.

These games really used the engine to create their own universe/atmosphere.

Yep all good games. Any FPS in that list? Spec Ops was great too.

Aliens Colonial Marines is another UDK game. So I guess Borderlands 1/2 are the best UDK FPS?

geo said:

Aliens Colonial Marines is another UDK game. So I guess Borderlands 1/2 are the best UDK FPS?

A:CM has atrocious gunplay. The Borderlands games aren't anything special either. Dishonored is promarily a stealth game, but it has meaty/gory combat.

I actually found the second Borderlands disappointing, the way both the character leveling and loot levels in certain areas works now is that you're even moreso forced to move to the newest area to get the higher levels of experience and loot after only few levelups it seems. Also the fact that DLC doesn't level beyond the end of the first playthrough of the main game, I learnt that the hard way at least with the crimson pirates DLC, haven't yet tried the others.

I really wouldn't recommend Dishonoured, after just trying it a few months ago I found it to be very mediocre, it seemed to be very overrated at least to me.

Bulletstorm. I can't say it loudly enough, Bulletstorm is fucking awesome. It does not take itself the least bit seriously and is hugely over the top dumb fun. And it's pretty too. It still has GFWL though so your milage may vary in getting it to work right.

E: Also so far as I can tell there are no currently released FPSees using Unreal engine 4. Wikipedia shows a couple of games with a 2014 release but none of them are actually out yet.

Avoozl said:

I actually found the second Borderlands disappointing, the way both the character leveling and loot levels in certain areas works now is that you're even moreso forced to move to the newest area to get the higher levels of experience and loot after only few levelups it seems. Also the fact that DLC doesn't level beyond the end of the first playthrough of the main game, I learnt that the hard way at least with the crimson pirates DLC, haven't yet tried the others.

That's a known bug with the Captain Scarlett DLC, the first couple of quests don't auto level properly, after that it should sort itself out. The others don't have that issue, and all scale to your level properly beyond their start points (lvl15 for scarlett/torgue, lvl30 for hammerlock/dragon keep).

They changed the level scaling math for BL2 which created a much larger gap in the effectiveness of weapons between levels. You should be fine as you move through the main quests anyway though.

If that really bugged you, it's something they moved back towards how it was in BL1 in the Pre Sequel.

It does not take itself the least bit seriously

You know, I've heard that a lot and so it was a bit disappointing to play through it and see the game definitely take its silly story way too seriously most of the time. Spoilers ahead, if anyone cares... The main character is a drunk, and there's a lot of supposedly imaginative expletives thrown around. Beyond those superficial changes, it's a straight AAA we're rebels but we're good guys at heart now let's chase and kill the big bad military guy who has betrayed us because he's high ranking so he's evil also that hot chick who totally isn't a damsel in distress had a tragic past and add some copious amounts of oh so heterosexual bro love in between.

Remove the "I'm going to shoot your cock"s and switch the setting to something with sand dunes and american flags, and you have just another average big shooter story. Unless it's supposed to be two layered, super clever satire stacked on top of more obvious silliness. Too deep for me. ;)

Thankfully, it *is* pretty fun to play, and it's gorgeous to look at. The marketing focusing solely on potty humor and combo system did it a disservice, IMHO. It has interesting weapons, fun enemies, cool environmental traps, good pacing, great environmental variety. It's a rail shooter through and through but it's possibly the best ride you can have.