Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andrea Rovenski

What's the general opinion on uploading non-record demos?

Reason I ask is because right after Zero Master beat Looper's Doom 2 time, Elimzke also beat Looper's time, but not Zero Master's, and he refuses to show anyone because it's not the record. So, I thought I'd ask the rest of the doomers here what they think on uploading demos that aren't the best for that particular category/run.

Thoughts, in the order of importance (most important above):

It is up to the player what he wants to do with their demo.
   |
   V
   |
Use the following criterion "are people going to watch it?"
   |
   V
   |
Don't upload a non-record unless you're asking for advice or you're showing some unknown strategy

I personally don't upload non-records, but if I had beaten Looper's D2All, of course I would do! Same with a nochance.wad successful max, etc.

I don't think a demo of an iwad movie run becomes any less impressive simply because it was a few days late to be the record, except for a small time difference.

I don't think Elimzke does the glide on map 19, and if he had a time less than 10 seconds from mine it would be even faster overall if I didn't do the glide. Most likely it will have other mistakes that are different from mine and instead done correctly where I made mistakes, so it would be nice to watch it.

I don't upload them, and I usually don't watch them, either, unless I want to see how this particular player handled this particular map, no matter how long it took for him. The spirit of competition, though unseen, is actually there, and I like it, overcoming challenges is more interesting than simply recording something for the sake of recording.
Of course some speedrunners - like that cute everdrunk fella that posted a couple positions above me - set the bars so high that it becomes really, really hard to top them, but hey, it's survival of the fittest.

I wouldn't upload a non-record single map demo unless there was something interesting going on, but episodes and movies are special I feel. They're an achievement and people treated them as such long before Steam and whatnot. That's why there were the honorific titles back in the 90's.

Yeah, I think you have to ask yourself are people going to watch it, and without any doubt there will be some in this case.

Some weeks ago I made a run for a map in Perdition's Gate which wasn't a record but I put it on YouTube as a sort of demonstration of the WAD, since I thought it might still be entertaining to watch for casual viewers. But I wouldn't post it here unless somebody specifically asks for it or if I wanted to demonstrate something interesting like a bug.