Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ishtar's Gate

On the topic of Demon Language

Making my way through the Unholy Cathedral, I noticed several examples of some form of runic languages.

This is the best example I could find, and I wanted to point it out.

I'd like to say it does actually say something but there's only so much words you can make out of sectors. Can't even spell UAC. So I'm pretty sure its mostly gibberish.

40oz said:

I'd like to say it does actually say something but there's only so much words you can make out of sectors. Can't even spell UAC. So I'm pretty sure its mostly gibberish.

It is plausible, though. I've never seen runic symbols like those myself, but with enough research, you could find out if it says anything.

Typical movie alien language. Random lines. Here they're also limited by the engine (sectors etc.). But it's enough to give an impression of a strange hellish sign. I like that particular detail in E3M5.

40oz said:

there's only so much words you can make out of sectors. Can't even spell UAC.

Fo' shame! Never heard of UAC_DEAD.WAD?!

Of course you can spell anything you want with sectors, you just might need to use multiple "layers":

I ought to try that method. I experimented with adding text in a map, but using the floor, since obviously it's easier to spell stuff out.

Demon language cannot be written sector over sector or else it's slang and you'll get an F on your test. Jeez, didn't you guys pay attention in class?

I don't know about that sign. Only Sandy Petersen knows what he meant when he drew that.

Be aware on the other hand that the three teleportation signs are taken directly or indirectly from HP Lovecraft's writings (info).

There are a lot more "demonic" signs in Doom 3. I wonder what's their origin, if it's some book like above.

Personally, I like the topic of Demons being intelligent like humans, but only due to gameplay constraints being reduced to simpletons. Otherwise, being intelligent enough to build new castles as they conquer, inscribe magic symbols, command hell troops…

printz said:

I don't know about that sign. Only Sandy Petersen knows what he meant when he drew that.

Be aware on the other hand that the three teleportation signs are taken directly or indirectly from HP Lovecraft's writings (info).

There are a lot more "demonic" signs in Doom 3. I wonder what's their origin, if it's some book like above.

Personally, I like the topic of Demons being intelligent like humans, but only due to gameplay constraints being reduced to simpletons. Otherwise, being intelligent enough to build new castles as they conquer, inscribe magic symbols, command hell troops…

Evil can be intelligent, they might growl at you a lot but they know what they are doing!

I always loved that detail also...really brought the "cathedral" aspect to life. I had a friend who was convinced it said something in Hebrew but I'm not sure I buy that.

I once devised an alphabet that could be 'carved' into walls in Doom without using layers of 1 unit wide sectors, but I never got a chance to use it. I should see if I still have it written down somewhere (or just recreate it, since the shape of each letter was vaguely based upon the shape made by the human mouth when pronouncing that letter)...

StupidBunny said:

I always loved that detail also...really brought the "cathedral" aspect to life. I had a friend who was convinced it said something in Hebrew but I'm not sure I buy that.

Maybe it's Korean instead?

CODOR said:

...the shape of each letter was vaguely based upon the shape made by the human mouth when pronouncing that letter...

Featural alphabet

I once tried the mutliple sectors trick but only for making coloured lighting gradients rather than text.

Avoozl said:

I once tried the mutliple sectors trick but only for making coloured lighting gradients rather than text.

You mean, so the colored light gradually fades to 0% opacity?

I've never really put much thought into it. Id never seemed like the company to create a language.

I'm pretty sure Id wouldn't have taken the time just to create a demonic alphabet. They just added random symbols there just to say "you are in hell, remember?"