Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChameleonVXV

Changing level names & intermission text

Hope this isn't asked too often but I couldn't find threads where I could find a clear answer. I'm making an Ultimate Doom megawad and I would love to be able to change the names of the levels and episodes, as well as the text at the end of each episode. In the future I'd love to be able to do so with a Doom II megawad as well. What's the best way to do this? Most answers I've seen suggest editing the MAPINFO lump using SLADE or XWE or a program like that, but I can't find anything called that in my pwad.

You need to make the MAPINFO lump. If you're just making a Vanilla or Boom capable level, you can also edit the dehacked name by making a DEHACKED lump in your wad and adding this as an example.

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

[STRINGS]
HUSTR_E1M1 = Crate Village (Doom1)
HUSTR_1 = Demons at my Burritos (Doom2)

ChameleonVXV said:

Hope this isn't asked too often but I couldn't find threads where I could find a clear answer. I'm making an Ultimate Doom megawad and I would love to be able to change the names of the levels and episodes, as well as the text at the end of each episode. In the future I'd love to be able to do so with a Doom II megawad as well. What's the best way to do this? Most answers I've seen suggest editing the MAPINFO lump using SLADE or XWE or a program like that, but I can't find anything called that in my pwad.

MAPINFO is a text file you include there yourself and it only works with Zdoom.
If you're in for a boom/limit-removing megawad you include a DEHACKED.txt.
For what to write there you can find on the wiki page : http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAPINFO
DEHACKED.txt works on all source ports and works like this :
[STRINGS]
HUSTR_1 = level 1: arenas
C1TEXT = You're on your last mission!\nHere, have this worthless pistol.\nYou can kick our asses once you're back.\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n-UAC-\n
BGFLAT06 = FLAT19

as they've said, if it's for a ZDoom-based port (ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum), you can use MAPINFO. if it's not, however, yeah, you have to use dehacked. I think there are only two components (if we're talking about not using MAPINFO) to the level names: the CWVIL** or whatever graphics inside the wad (the white levelname text that displays in the intermission) and the text to appear on the automap (edited with dehacked). so if you aren't using ZDoom, then:

1) download Whacked4 (http://teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/) which is the most modern dehacked editor
2) make a new deh or bex (bex is for Boom-supporting ports only, which is basically everything except Chocolate Doom, Doom95 etc) and go to the strings table
3) scroll down until you find the entires joe mentioned, and change them to whatever you're naming the maps. you should be able to find editable map names for all UDoom maps, and all Doom 2/Final Doom maps
4) change the titles, save the deh or bex file, and using Slade, import the deh file into your wad and name it DEHACKED once inside your wad

MAPINFO is supported by more than ZDoom and derivatives (if you use the old, Hexen-derived format). Eternity parses it too (though it'll prefer its own EMAPINFO if available) and I think Risen3D supports it too. As well as ZDaemon and Odamex.

But yes it's not supported by Chocolate Doom or PrBoom+. A DEHACKED lump is the lowest common compatibility set, though it is quite limited compared to MAPINFO.

If all you want to do is change the map title and the intermission text then there is really no good reason to use MAPINFO. Using a DEHACKED patch will mean your mod will work in pretty much every commonly used source port.

BTW: As of version 1.15 Doomsday will also support the Hexen dialect of MAPINFO in all games (ZDoom extensions are ignored for now).

Ah okay I see.

From looking at the files of megaWADs that have unique level names, it looks like even with a mapinfo lump, you still need to make the graphic files of the level names themselves on the intermission screen. Is there a fairly simple way to make the text image files that id need for level names? Or am I completely out of my league in hoping I can fairly simply change the level names? :P

There may exist somewhere a program somebody has written which generates BMPs of level names for you. Failing that, you'll have to piece them together manually, copying/pasting letters from existing level names and such. (Or will you? Any faster alternative will make my life easier too!) I don't think that method's out of anyone's league, so to speak, though it sounds pretty tedious depending on how many levels you have.

Not really.

You'll have to use advanced features to get that. If you want to use the normal intermission system, you can start with a fake map that is scripted to end immediately. With MAPINFO, you can make it so that it doesn't display the kills/items/secret/time screen. Then this can lead to the intermission text screen directly.

With more advanced features, you can have a script displaying the information at the start of the first map. This might be preferable.

With less advanced features, replace the F1/Read This! screen and hope that people will look at it before starting a game (fat chance, haha).

I'm surprised ZDoom can't display a text screen before Map01?

Doomsday's Infine allows one to do such.

ChameleonVXV said:

Ah okay I see.

From looking at the files of megaWADs that have unique level names, it looks like even with a mapinfo lump, you still need to make the graphic files of the level names themselves on the intermission screen. Is there a fairly simple way to make the text image files that id need for level names? Or am I completely out of my league in hoping I can fairly simply change the level names? :P

look up doom writer on the zandronum forums. on mobile right now otherwise I'd post a link, but it's easy to find. also quite easy to use!

Omegalore said:

There's also the LANGUAGE Lump. Kind of the same thing as DEHACKED unless it's not supported for PRBoom or related.

I use that mostly.

Yeah, I forgot about that (ooops), late nights do that to me ^_^

Gez said:

Not really.

You'll have to use advanced features to get that. If you want to use the normal intermission system, you can start with a fake map that is scripted to end immediately. With MAPINFO, you can make it so that it doesn't display the kills/items/secret/time screen. Then this can lead to the intermission text screen directly.

With more advanced features, you can have a script displaying the information at the start of the first map. This might be preferable.

With less advanced features, replace the F1/Read This! screen and hope that people will look at it before starting a game (fat chance, haha).

Thanks for your replies guys. And sorry for the lat answer but I didn't get any email notifications of your replies although I ticked the box... :(

Gez, I like your first idea of a fake map. Do you know the command line to skip the kills/items/secret/time screen on MAPINFO?

tomatoKetchup said:

Gez, I like your first idea of a fake map. Do you know the command line to skip the kills/items/secret/time screen on MAPINFO?

In ZMAPINFO, it's NoIntermission.

Gez said:
If you want to use the normal intermission system, you can start with a fake map that is scripted to end immediately.

I'm coming back about this idea of a fake first map. I thought I could easily do the trick but I realised after several attempts that it doesn't seem possible without an ACS script.

But I just wanted to check with you guys first: do you think there is a trick so that a map can be built to end immediately without the use of a script?

tomatoKetchup said:

do you think there is a trick so that a map can be built to end immediately without the use of a script?

Yes, there is: Put a decorative thing on a moving conveyor belt, and let it cross a linedef with a monster-walkover-activated exit action.

scifista42 said:

Yes, there is: Put a decorative thing on a moving conveyor belt, and let it cross a linedef with a monster-walkover-activated exit action.

Thanks for the tip, I actually thought of it too 2 minutes ago (I moved the player though).

Ayway, another thing. Just tested the NoIntermission in the MAPINFO but it doesn't seem to work. My maps are "ZDoom in Doom format" in Doom Builder, so I thought maybe it doesn't work in that format. Any help?

tomatoKetchup said:

Ayway, another thing. Just tested the NoIntermission in the MAPINFO but it doesn't seem to work. My maps are "ZDoom in Doom format" in Doom Builder, so I thought maybe it doesn't work in that format.

No, the cause is most probably a wrong usage of NoIntermission inside the MAPINFO. Where did you put the keyword in? It should be in the first map's definition or defaultmap, but either way, you must redeclare the first map (map MAP01 "name" {}), I believe.

scifista42 said:

No, the cause is most probably a wrong usage of NoIntermission inside the MAPINFO. Where did you put the keyword in? It should be in the first map's definition or defaultmap, but either way, you must redeclare the first map (map MAP01 "name" {}), I believe.

Ok, but what if I want just one particular map to skip the intermission text, not all oof them?

tomatoKetchup said:

Ok, but what if I want just one particular map to skip the intermission text, not all oof them?

Then, as I said, put "NoIntermission" just into the first map's definition and not into defaultmap. Doesn't that work? Is your lump named MAPINFO or ZMAPINFO? Gez's post somewhat implies that you might need ZMAPINFO.

Since you're asking,is it possible to change Music for levels ?,for instance using "D_RUNNIN" Song for MAP02 ?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Since you're asking,is it possible to change Music for levels ?,for instance using "D_RUNNIN" Song for MAP02 ?

Yes, of course. If you're mapping for a ZDoom-based engine, use MAPINFO to redefine MAP02 and set Music = "D_RUNNIN":

map MAP02 "Map Name Goes Here" {
  bla bla bla code - be careful, you need to define everything again, including sky, next map, par time etc etc.
  music = "D_RUNNIN"
}
But if you're not mapping for a ZDoom-based port, then you shouldn't use MAPINFO, because non-advanced ports cannot read it. In that case, your only option is to simply reinclude D_RUNNIN into your wad and rename it to D_STALKS (hardcoded MAP02 music). Or wait, as another option, you can possibly use DEHACKED to change music lump name "STALKS" to "RUNNIN", I think.

scifista42 said:

Or wait, as another option, you can possibly use DEHACKED to change music lump name "STALKS" to "RUNNIN", I think.

That's what i'm asking about,not sure if it's possible with DEHACKED ...

DMGUYDZ64 said:

That's what i'm asking about,not sure if it's possible with DEHACKED ...

The DEHACKED music lump names are in "Strings" section (#775 to #841), and you can change them of course.

On 11/20/2014 at 9:54 AM, Stupid Bunny said:

There may exist somewhere a program somebody has written which generates BMPs of level names for you. Failing that, you'll have to piece them together manually, copying/pasting letters from existing level names and such. (Or will you? Any faster alternative will make my life easier too!) I don't think that method's out of anyone's league, so to speak, though it sounds pretty tedious depending on how many levels you have.

so does such program exist?