Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

What kind of Shotgun is the one in DOOM?

I know it's a Tootsie Toys plastic, but what kind of shotgun is it based on? I would like to find info on the real-life gun :)

Similarly, what about the Super Shotgun?

The Tootsie Toy Dakota is based on a pump-action shotgun. :P The receiver and magazine cap suggest Remington, though it doesn't seem to resemble any specific model, so it's likely a coincidence.

The super shotgun is clearly not based on any real weapon.

I remember people saying it was Winchester related, I wouldn't know myself how accurate that would be though.

Foxpup said:

The receiver and magazine cap suggest Remington, though it doesn't seem to resemble any specific model, so it's likely a coincidence.

Probably a low gravity combat model that's yet to go into production. ;)

Foxpup said:

ORLY?

I always wondered why the Doom (II) and Final Doom manuals never called it with its proper name, like Lupara or Sawed-Off shotgun, rather than resorting to names like "Super Shotgun" or even "Combat Shotgun" in some translations. They didn't want Doomguy to be associated with mafiosi or something?

The super shotgun looks like it's based on the shotgun sprites. I think it's called super, so that people know it's the better one.

I mean, it's not based on any specific real world shotgun. Those generally have a lever to open the action and extractors to remove the shells, instead of demonic magic or whatever Doomguy uses to reload.

Foxpup said:

I mean, it's not based on any specific real world shotgun. Those generally have a lever to open the action and extractors to remove the shells, instead of demonic magic or whatever Doomguy uses to reload.

Muscles.

Not... "demonic magic"........

Maes said:

I always wondered why the Doom (II) and Final Doom manuals never called it with its proper name, like Lupara or Sawed-Off shotgun, rather than resorting to names like "Super Shotgun" or even "Combat Shotgun" in some translations. They didn't want Doomguy to be associated with mafiosi or something?

Or because it quite literally is a super shotgun; almost 3x the damage for only 2x the ammo? Definitely something super going on there.

Really though, more likely because it rolls off the tongue easily and you only have to read it to know that it's obviously a more powerful weapon. 'Double-Barrelled' is a comparable mouthful and the text would probably extend beyond the screen. 'Sawed-off/sawn-off' or 'combat' doesn't really give any clue as to the weapon's purpose or function. Larger spread? Faster RoF? Easier to conceal in a game where that can't be done and wouldn't even matter?

"Sod it, let's just call it a Super Shotgun and avoid confusing even the simplest of people!"

Edit:
To answer the OP, I eventually just assumed it was supposed to be a Remington 870. But that was because I was playing a lot of Resident Evil by that point and I couldn't be bothered to check otherwise.

Whats also weird is that the chain gun the Doomguy uses isn't actually a chain gun (It's not belt fed), however the heavy weapon dudes seem to use a chain gun that IS belt fed, wtf!?

Doominator2 said:

Whats also weird is that the chain gun the Doomguy uses isn't actually a chain gun (It's not belt fed), however the heavy weapon dudes seem to use a chain gun that IS belt fed, wtf!?

And it has only 4 barrels. And it doesn't disappear from the sprite when the wielder is killed.

Apparently, heavy weapon dudes have 6-barrelled clip-fed spares somewhere in their pockets.

Speaking of the SSG and toy guns...I always thought this one would make a wicked RL SSG mockup/prop, if repainted.

They even have miniature "cartridges" and automatic extractors, while the butt has a compartment which can be used to store cartridges!

I once got one for fun (it was only 5 euros) and was quite fun until the crappy mechanisms gave way...

Doominator2 said:

isn't actually a chain gun (It's not belt fed),

It isn't a chain gun, but not for the reason you think. A chain gun has an external motor connected to the bolt via a chain and cam, as opposed to a self-powered machine gun which uses either the recoil force or gas pressure of each fired round to drive the bolt. No Gatling guns are chain guns, despite most but not all being powered by an external motor (there's no chain). It makes no difference whether the gun is belt-fed or magazine-fed.

Da Werecat said:

clip-fed

*twitch*

Doominator2 said:

I remember that toy, it was also very cool that when you opened up the gun, the shells would go flying out.

Yeah I had that too, only mine was blue and yellow instead of the orange/green/yellow one pictured by Maes. I think it was called the "Double Shot" and was manufactured by Buzzbee instead of Nerf, which is probably why it broke so damn fast. Repainted it would make a killer movie prop though.

EDIT: Found a killer movie prop repaint: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/365/9/c/buzz_bee_double_shot_nerf_by_tave32-d364a4o.jpg

The Street Fighter series has a habit of naming their sequels in a series with a SUPER prefix, so there was SUPER Street Fighter II and SUPER Street Fighter IV - their latest installment has been titled ULTRA Street Fighter IV.

So; perhaps we could adopt an ULTRA Shotgun in DOOM?

Also, in response to the toy gun images, I actually own one myself - it's more of a decorative item than a toy, though, mind you:

I absolutely love holding it and toying with it :D

I forgot for a moment, but it's actually a lighter, but unfortunately it doesn't work.. :/

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'd like to take this moment in time to redirect discussion of this thread to that of the Rottweil 72 Over/Under:

Satyr000 said:

Why settle for three barrels when you can have four like they did in the later Phantasm movies?

I wonder what would happen if the SSG would consume three shells instead of two. Would people continue using it despite the slight ammo waste, just because it kills faster?

printz said:

I wonder what would happen if the SSG would consume three shells instead of two. Would people continue using it despite the slight ammo waste, just because it kills faster?

Russian Overkill exists, therefore yes.

Maes said:

Considering that Doom and Mortal Kombat basically started the hullaballoo about "violence in video games" it wouldn't surprise me that they decided calling it a "sawed-off" shotgun was a bit too real-world.

Anyone here got Tootsie Toy Dakota shotgun? I have been trying to find one for my collection semiseriously for quite some time but those are hard to find. Does anyone know name for that machinegun toy plasmarifles barrel is based on?

Magnusblitz said:

Considering that Doom and Mortal Kombat basically started the hullaballoo about "violence in video games" it wouldn't surprise me that they decided calling it a "sawed-off" shotgun was a bit too real-world.

I doubt they had much interest in actual guns, to honor them by their real-world names.

In fact, no ID games do, come to think of it.

gemini09 said:

The Street Fighter series has a habit of naming their sequels in a series with a SUPER prefix, so there was SUPER Street Fighter II and SUPER Street Fighter IV - their latest installment has been titled ULTRA Street Fighter IV.

So; perhaps we could adopt an ULTRA Shotgun in DOOM?

I think the main reason why it was called Super Shotgun in Doom 2 was because Double Barrel Shotgun is too big for the string limit I would guess, they probably wanted to keep things simple.

SYS said:

Doomguy needs triple barrel

Heh, that shotgun is really neat. Very clean and catchy design, and it's the first time I see a full-powered 12 gauge shotgun in that configuration. No compromises like smaller calibers, or inability to use magnum ammo: this baby shoots full-powered 12 gauge shells, and all models shoot at least Magnum ammo (3" chamber) while there's even a Super Magnum model (3.5" chambers).

I knew that combination/drilling shotguns existed, but those combined at most two smoothbore barrels with one or two rifled barrels:

There's also 4-barreled smoothbore shotgun, the FAMARS Rombo, but that's just produced in 28 gauge and .410 bore, not really as powerful as 4 regular 12 gauge barrels.

I always figured the primary angle of the Super Shotgun was actually a screencap from Evil Dead 2, and then the reload animations was a mock up. That or the gun was just a good ol' double-barreled that had some detail removed while digitizing.

Foxpup said:

Uhh, the super shotgun is based on a standard double barreled shotgun. Have you never seen a double barreled shotgun before? They do exist.