Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Rage map recreated in UE4

Technician said:

It's like puking on a pile of shit.

What exactly do people have against the Unreal engine? I think it looks fine. If something looks bad, I usually blame the artist more than the engine itself.

Sodaholic said:

What exactly do people have against the Unreal engine? I think it looks fine. If something looks bad, I usually blame the artist more than the engine itself.

Personally I don't like Unreal 4's need for a quad core. Dual core barely cuts it. No matter how high the gHz is.

Sodaholic said:

From my experience with UE3:
No fluid water or hair
Pop-in galore
Lighting both ugly and undynamic
Scales like shit

Idtech blows it away by miles, and even Cryengine is a solid alternative.

Mr. Freeze said:

From my experience with UE3:
No fluid water or hair
Pop-in galore
Scales like shit

Idtech blows it away by miles, and even Cryengine is a solid alternative.

Is that post a joke or?

From my experience with Idtech5:
No fluid water or hair
Pop-in galore
Scales like shit

Idtech5 isn't a contender for anything other than least applicable AAA engine or worst launch ever. The version seen in Wolf is way better, but it probably has very little in common with the approach they made with RAGE. I'm not the biggest fan of UE3 either, but the physical based shading seen in UE4 provides some of the best and most gorgeous surfaces I've ever seen in video games. Cryengine is also MILES ahead of idtech5 (as seen in RAGE). Then we have Frostbyte and the very smart Snowdrop which are also way ahead. The common denominator for these engines is their bend towards smart, practical and dynamic solutions whereas idtech5 (as seen in RAGE) is stuck back in the 90s with extremely rigid and archaic solutions. Most modern AAA engines today are OLED displays whereas idtech is first generation LCD that will break illusion if you look at it from an off angle of 5 degrees.

Hopefully the fact they hired the lead graphics programmer of Crytek is a hint at a new and modern direction for idtech.

I dont like games that my computer can not run well.
Give me $2500 and I will buy better computer.
And who cares about graphics when the game is fun? The only thing I do not want is an engine which do some stupid immersion breaking things, like objects and characters, who are 5 meters away from you, sudenly pop up on the screen, like in World of Warcraft pffff.
Lot of maps for old games like unreal tournament 2004 or even doom 2 look much better and more interesting than something like generic shinny middle east desert in linear CoD map.

hardcore_gamer said:

If unreal is such a shitty engine, then why do so many use it for their games?

Because even a person without a brain can use its editor.

StevieCybernetik said:

Because even a person without a brain can use its editor.

Because that is *not* true about id tech 1 ? Which many people said is good because it allowed the community to last so long.

I love both doom and unreal :) Also ID is not ID anymore, or is it? I thought that all original people are gone and they are just puppet of bethesda now, are they not? How is it with Epic? I did not really read their recent history.

I still did not get my gift of $2500. I have more than that but I do not really want to spend that much money on a computer, but if some filthy rich person on the forums gives me such money I wont feel much regret by spending it on a pc. Obviously people should love me and give me free gifts, I am the best person on the forums, am I not?

Why spend $2500 on a computer when ~$800 will let you run most UE3 games just fine (60 FPS, 1680x1050/1920x1080)? Besides, you'll have to take down GreyGhost and scifista42 if you want to be forum top dog.

I don't really understand why there's so much hate surrounding the unreal engine. I thought Unreal Engine 4 looked nice.

Not exactly the game's most memorable location. It would be more interesting to look at Wellspring or some of the wasteland vistas. But they're probably too hard to recreate.

Shaviro said:

I thought baked lighting's ugliness depends mostly on the artist.

The lighting model of an engine is 99% of the result you see on the screen (I'm not saying that the assets have no say in the visuals, but that lighting isn't constricted to placing a few lights. The lighting model is pretty much everything going on in the pixel shaders, save for a few post process effects). The more information you bake into the environment, the less realtime reaction you will get. This would be fine (and probably an excellent choice) for a good old static camera angle adventure game, but for a shooter with free movement you lose so much in a scene. The current trend in game rendering engines is physically based materials where the lighting is calculated per pixel according to the properties of the material. Engines are slowly moving away from having the lighting response of the environment be determined by a preset of textures and instead react based on actual physical properties. This is how you move away from plastic NPCs.

RAGE is by no means an ugly game (not counting the horrible texture res of most things), but this is more due to great artists than a great engine.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I've never been a fan of the Unreal Engine. It's had its own share of problems since UE1 that aren't necessarily specific to UE and don't necessarily make it a bad engine lineage, but I maintain that my primary reason for disliking modern variants of UE is the fact that mapping is based around instantiating static meshes and less about BSP/CSG-based operations, which I'm just not a fan of the process involved. That's still entirely a personal gripe though.

I admit I have a strange fetish with virtual textures. If the tech was a bit more mature, I'd like to think it'll catch on, though RAGE isn't exactly the greatest product that shows off the power of the technology. It's a shame, really, because the game looks quite nice when shit isn't popping in.