Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

How do I display a Git diff for a WAD?

I have a PWAD in Git version control, I didn't commit the latest changes and now I don't know what exactly I changed. "git diff wadname.wad" doesn't show me anything. Is there a utility or filter that can help Git show me the differences, probably lump by lump?

I don't think there is.

Besides, most lumps are in binary format (especially if you're not modding for an advanced port), making diffs basically useless.

printz said:

Is there a utility or filter that can help Git show me the differences,

No, I don't think Git can do binary diffs. You'll have to check out both versions and use something like vbindiff.

printz said:

probably lump by lump?

No, that's not probable.

Yeah a visual binary diff is the way to go. I used such to find all the places where Strife 1.2 and 1.31 differed (all 5 or so of them, outside the changes to the menu system, which were also smaller than I thought they'd be).

Omegalore said:

What's a Git diff?

Git is a version control system - it keeps track of all changes you've made since the beginning, meaning that you can easily back everything up or go back in time to older versions. A diff (difference) is a comparison between two versions, showing what is different between a file at version X and the same file at version Y. More generally, 'diff' is usually the name of a utility which compares two files or pieces of data, showing the differences.