Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

[DM Project] - Z-Match 2015: The Final Fight

joe-ilya said:

That's a little better than the previous map you submitted. Though it needs a lot more work done to it. For one thing, you got the tech concept right, though the scrolling computer screen textures just have to go. They don't look good at all. Also, there needs more routes. It just can't be a square map with 8 DM players running around. I would rather see this map improved than the other map Molten Core.

Captain Toenail said:

Just a quick edit of Joe's latest map to see what's possible. http://www.mediafire.com/download/069wz4z77jes07j/wards_edit.wad

Those POBLO maps are nice, very surprised to see such clean maps from 95.

Wow, that looks much better. I think more can be done to spice up the map a little bit, bit it's a good base to work with.

Some textures I don't like:

http://i.imgur.com/gB4SQo8.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/Sv6bobe.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/UsMHxm7.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/hb4vCaX.png?1

Captain Toenail said:

Yes I was just experimenting with the layout. No thought went into the texturing or item placement at all. :P

Yet Miano likes it.

joe-ilya said:

Yet Miano likes it.

I like it because the layout somewhat resembles the POBLA maps, which is the central theme of this project. Though, as I stated before, it needs more work done to it.

EDIT: I'm considering titling this PWAD as POBLA DM 2015. So I'm really going to be nit picky on making sure that each map resembles that theme.

Guest Unregistered account

Oh, I guess I'll have to pull out my maps, then - the indev one doesn't look very ninety/POBLA-ish, and the previously submitted one (PLI1996) just doesn't look POBLAesque. :/

Joe667 said:

Oh, I guess I'll have to pull out my maps, then - the indev one doesn't look very ninety/POBLA-ish, and the previously submitted one (PLI1996) just doesn't look POBLAesque. :/

Maybe the part like it's 1996 map could be edited to look like a POBLA map? That's just a thought...

Joe667 said:

It would be a shame for good DM maps not to be included - Surely a simple retexture would be good enough? Of course, it's up to you!

sincity2100 said:

hope you like it :)

Looks damn good if you ask me!

Here's an idea: Maybe the rejected/pulled submissions to this project (Like Joe-ilya's and Getsu Fune's) could be compiled into another WAD? I'd be happy to manage/compile all the unused submissions so they can still get play time online. I think with most of them, the_miano isn't saying he hates the maps, just that they don't properly fit the theme he's aiming for.

Anyone interested in that idea?

With a little bit of editing and retexturing, I think that Backstabber map looks like it can be used.

EDIT:

Doomkid said:

Here's an idea: Maybe the rejected/pulled submissions to this project (Like Joe-ilya's and Getsu Fune's) could be compiled into another WAD? I'd be happy to manage/compile all the unused submissions so they can still get play time online. I think with most of them, the_miano isn't saying he hates the maps, just that they don't properly fit the theme he's aiming for.

Anyone interested in that idea?

Exactly DK, I don't hate them, they just don't go with the central theme I'm looking for. I think they can be used for other projects. So don't consider them to be totally rejected

EDIT: @Captain Toenail, I tried doing some edits to your map, but I feel like I'm not really going anywhere with it. Here is the updated version of Tech4: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lm682c12xut2o43/tech4_miano+edits.wad

Ok so here is what we have so far:

MAP01: Storage Depot: I need to add more detail in this.
MAP02: Killzone
MAP03: Get Pumped
MAP04: ????: DK is currently in the process of editing this.
MAP05: ????: DK is currently in the process of editing this.
MAP06: Cadaver Factory
MAP07: This is either going to be Molten Core or Wards: I believe Captain Toenail is currently editing this.

Miano I like what you've done to the map. It will probably need stretched out a bit now though to make it roomier.

If Joe wants me to complete Wards then I can do so, but it won't be till next week probably. If not I'm sure someone else can polish it off.

Captain Toenail said:

Miano I like what you've done to the map. It will probably need stretched out a bit now though to make it roomier.

If Joe wants me to complete Wards then I can do so, but it won't be till next week probably. If not I'm sure someone else can polish it off.

Thanks Captain Toenail. I'm glad you liked it, though I feel like it does not to be stretched out a bit more. I didn't really finish the retexturing process and it needs more items/decoration and all that swell stuff.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do for my map? I'm kinda distraught on the circular area (which I call the doughnut zone).

Captain Toenail said:

Damn that's really good. Since DK requested that he wants his MAP04 cut, I think I will replace it with your edited version of WARDS. I'm going to check on DK's edits for MAP05. Hopefully it is close to finished by now. Joe Pallai is also going to start working in his map (or maps). Joe-ilya's MAP07, I'm still not sure what to do with this one. Can this be edited further or is the layout just not suitable with the central theme? Those buildings in the map just have to go to be honest. If this map gets cut, hopefully it can be replaced with the tech4 map base you started.

We should also look into sincity2100's map. I think it has potential, it just needs more editing done to it.

Captain Toenail said:

Here is Wards updated

Looks great!

So, the_miano has been losered (let's hope temporarily). Any messages you need me to pass on, just let me know. We're in contact regularly.

Also I gotta say again, I hope to see some of you idle in #dmstuff at irc.quakenet.org - I'm usually online from about 7PM east coast time onward (10 AM Aussie Time). We've got a test server up for this, I'd love to see some of you come and frag with us just to get a feel for how these play.

EDIT: Uh, turns out that 'losers' can't PM other forum users? That's kinda retarded as all fuck. Okay, either way, if you need to send a message, I'll get it through to him. If he has anything to report, I'll also be posting on his behalf.

Oh God, whatever for? He's like... and then... what!? How?

Maybe it was for something like backseat modding...? But I've never seen him do that. :/

...I'll... um... try to work on... a map... for... this project...

Don't be discouraged, Joe. I'm chatting with him right this moment - This will cause no troubles whatsoever for the wad development itself, assuming you all don't mind me being your messenger.

EDIT: Oh, and the_miano is almost always in #dmstuff too. Worst case scenario, you can leave mrcrispy a message, and he'll pass it on to us. :)

joe-ilya said:

Also looks like I cannot be good unless I get a partner that details the map for me.

I could try to teach you a few detailing tips! I'm still learning myself. But I can at least distinguish ugly stuff from non-ugly stuff. Unless it involves FIREBLU, because I actually like that texture. ;)

Also, your recent shot in the Post your Doom Picture! 2 thread actually looks pretty good. You're getting better, even if you don't know it!

Reminder that FIREBLU is a god tier texture and I try to use it at least once in every map I make.

@joe-ilya: I actually thought your version of Wards looked good apart from the scrolling COMPSTA1 and a couple unpegging errors, and I can see a continuous improvement in the texturing, and detailing of your maps. The most major changes that needed making were in the layout of the map which was admittedly uninspired for DM play (which isn't to say that I know anything about building a good DM map.) Keep trying, your prolific efforts at improving your mapping are definitely admirable.

EDIT: Oh yes, and FIREBLU ftw (in moderation of course)

DoomRenegade said:

No room for my stuff? I just released a new wad

Miano, MrCrispy and myself will put it on the server (grandpachuck.org:10655 on odamex) and play through and look for maps that fit the theme :) Do you mind if some textures are changed around to fit into the pointblank style, if I find some maps that miano really likes?

joe-ilya said:

Also looks like I cannot be good unless I get a partner that details the map for me.

I actually really enjoyed retexturing that line.wad map, it was a basic DM arena, but I like basic DM maps (which seems to be a pretty uncommon these days.) I definitely think you're improving in terms of texturing - Just make sure you keep it up!

I also think seeking some help from Joe667 might be a good idea. I haven't actually seen his map yet (and damn, I want to, the screenshots looked cool) but I get the impression that he's damn good!

@Everyone: Remember not to be discouraged if your map isn't in the 'main' WAD. There have been quite a few excellent submissions that aren't being included simply because they don't really match the theme that the_miano is looking for. The 'secondary' wad I mentioned previously - which will be released as an independant product, mind you, not some "reject" wad bullshit - seems like it's going to turn out really nicely as well. Assuming you're all keen on this idea, of course.

Glad to see a decent amount of interest in this. Let's get a playtesting session happening soon, shall we?

I withdraw from this, I can't seem to make the style you want for this project and I can't make a decent enough DM map to save my life at this point.

Hey guys, I just got paroled from the Losers forum (woohoo!)

Okay, so lets get down to business shall we? So far, I have compiled a 4th beta PWAD of 7 maps:

MAP01: Storage Facility made by the_miano
MAP02: Killzone made by Captain Toenail
MAP03: Get Pumped made by Captain Toenail
MAP04: Wards made by joe-ilya & edited by Captain Toenail
MAP05: "????" made by Doomkid
MAP06: Cadaver Factory Captain Toenail
MAP07: Torsion made by Captain Toenail and briefly edited by the_miano

Shogun, Inkie, Joe667, & sincity2100, you guys are still welcome to participate in this project although your maps aren't in the current PWAD.

I temporarily cut joe-ilya's Molten Core map (which was originally in MAP07) and replaced it with Captain Toenail's Torsion. I also switched the midi in that map slot too. DK or Captain Toenail, you guys are more than welcome to edit joe-ilya's Molten Core. The buildings just have to go or at least try to replace them with better looking buildings that are more than just pointless cubes. The pools of water should also be removed. Other than those two complaints, the map can be detailed up just to look consistent with the other maps.

Doomkid is still working on his map. What is the name of it again? I can't remember....

My MAP01 Storage Facility is still in progress. I'm thinking about making this one a bit less symmetrical.

A link to beta 4 will be up soon.

EDIT: here's beta 4: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f61c2ogh0x8qv2u/point_blank_2015_v4.zip