Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Strife: Veteran Edition

Yes, yes and yes. I want this to be real. I wonder about the engine. I honestly think Strife could do with its own advanced engine for an accessible, user-friendly and polished experience. Stuff like proper Xinput (and other joystick) support, good perspective, etc.

I'm hoping for some kind of badass Strife EX from Kaiser.

I hope the engine is open, if only partially so it wouldn't get lost again. But it'll be cool either way :)

chungy said:

I hope the engine is open, if only partially so it wouldn't get lost again. But it'll be cool either way :)

Well Quasar is apparently involved in the Mysterious Strife Project too. I think we can trust him to do everything possible to have the supposed Enhanced Strife Engine opened... Starting by pointing out it's most probably derived from a previous Kaiser+Quasar Strife project that happens to be under the GPL.

Well shit. If it's a new engine, I might have some map porting to do. Looking forward to hearing more about it. :)

Guest Unregistered account

Oh, dear god.
/me wants.

FireFish said:

https://doom64ex.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/publicpreview3.png

Literraly the first things that came to mind where ;
- orange crystal wand
- flying red things
- temple with swimming pool

And i am probably going to regret thinking that... but strife would be worthy to.

As I've said on the ZDoom forum, this is the Programmer's Keep in the Castle (MAP09), with the red sky. The flying red thing is probably just a laser projectile from a sentinel (those little flying drones that bob up and down constantly) as there are plenty of those pests in that area. And the orange crystal wand is probably the minimissile launcher. Here are two screenshots of the area in ZDoom, before the sky changes to red.

Quasar said:

ORDER FRAGMENTARY FILE "edmdn"
------------------------------
The root of forever.

Eternity Engine.

Quasar said:

Order Encrypted File Intercepted!
Filename : znaphohf.arg
Hexdump  : 4C 4A FC 58

No clue on this one. Looking for a word gets:
L J (not ASCII) X
and I don't see any significance to possible number values either.

It really looks like there are lightmaps in those screenshots. If this has Eternity as some kind of basis, does that mean Eternity (or at least this particular version) will be getting EX's renderer?

In any case, I am excited and hope the reveal is sooner than later (no, I cannot wait until 31 Dec. :P).

After looking at the clues, I have determined that "the root of forever" is where Eternity Engine development is hosted, at http://eternity.mancubus.net/. So I looked in the root directory of that website for an interesting file. Lo and behold:

Tease.png, uploaded at December 6th, 2014

This must be the intercepted file, and that text in the second hint looks like 'snapshot.png'

Make of it what you will :P

Holy shit that picture. I can't contain myself, this looks thoroughly awesome and is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Great work, you two!

Kaiser said:

That looks like a symbol of a birthday cake.

Are you hinting that there may be further information on the 10th, as in Doom's original release date?

i hope that comes with an in-game gausian blur filter to mimic the original teaser images their quality... (joke)

FireFish said:

i hope that comes with an in-game gausian blur filter to mimic the original teaser images their quality... (joke)

How about mimicking this teaser's quality?

Pure 1990s VIRTUAL INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA CDROM cheese.

MP2E said:

After looking at the clues, I have determined that "the root of forever" is where Eternity Engine development is hosted, at http://eternity.mancubus.net/. So I looked in the root directory of that website for an interesting file. Lo and behold:

Tease.png, uploaded at December 6th, 2014

This must be the intercepted file, and that text in the second hint looks like 'snapshot.png'

Make of it what you will :P

Since you got it (congrats):

• First message: "edmdn" => eternity.mancubus.net
  • Root of forever => eternity, check the root directory (you got this one)
  • Second message: "znaphohf.arg" is ROT13 for mancubus.net
  • Second message: The hex #'s are mancubus.net's IP address
  • Third message: It's the Mayan glyph for 13, a hint to try ROT13.