Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
franckFRAG

muskadet.wad - a big vanilla map [Now on /idgames]

Hello!

Muska is a pretty big classic vanilla map (I recommend to play on Chocolate). It mixes two style "Interception" and "Bellatrix" if you remember there...
The map contains many secondary zone, it's very centred on the discovery, a lot of secret to discover.

There are no difficulty include. (Difficulty equivalent to Doom2).

/idgames link => Muskadet.wad

Enjoy!

I think I like the music choice. It does feel similar to E1M4 with its mostly weak monsters, many paths, a tempting secret soulsphere and so on. Here is a FDA but I guess it can be frustrating to see people getting lost on your map. btw I hate how blue is so unnoticeable on prboom-plus' automap, I can never find any blue doors\switches while I'm looking at it. http://i.imgur.com/xPJw5Nm.png - try finding a yellow object and then try finding a blue one.

This map was an absolutely delightful experience. There's everything for what I like playing Doom wads. Smooth fast-paced gameplay allowing for aggressive playstyle, beautiful visuals and varied environment pleasant to explore, overall classic-like feel, tons of fun. No other game than Doom has ever managed to give me exactly that. 5/5, and highly recommended to everyone! :)

Thanks for your feedbacks :)

I send the wad in the idgames archive, it's the first time when I upload a wad in the idgames hehe x) It will be called " muskadet.wad "

Is this by any chance inspired by DTWID? Somehow a lot of the room layouts reminded me of several maps in that wad.

played it blindly on HMP without a HUD: finishing time was 26:11 after a bit of wandering.

really rough beginning that forces toes. a lot of routes allows a lot of combat scenarios so that's good. I went around the outer circle and went inwards afterwards. a bit confusing, and some areas where quite difficult. I managed to find many secrets doing this and it was quite fun. last fight wasn't too much though. other than the beginning I like it a lot.

I remember playing a similliar map that combines all of DOOM 2 maps in 1 map,yours is better because it's not based on previous maps (100% Yours),which is what i enjoy ... =D

This is a big, highly detailed map. Good combat and lots of secrets. I managed 90% kills, but did not find the rocket launcher or plasma rifle if there is one. Will play again.

Hello, good to see some more stuff from you (especially some larger stuff). One more FDA for you if you wish, about 25 minutes long.

Felt a lot more like Doom than Doom II, I think (the music track certainly helps in this regard), with lots of mixed zombie/imp/pinky groups, and a very strangely-placed SSG (I suspect there might've been an earlier, secret one I didn't find). Fun to explore, I liked how the high degree of nonlinearity began with the very first room and never really let up. Not really a fan of the two Barons at the exit (very anticlimactic, even by OG Doom standards), and there was a somewhat questionable horde of useless pinkies near the first RL I found, but all in all I had a good time playing.

Couple of very minor bugs: There's a floating blood pool prop in the dirt room with the backpack near the plasma rifle secret, and at least one of the hanging bodies near the health bonus pool on the east side of the map is infinitely-tall/blocking.

scifista42 said:

This map was an absolutely delightful experience. There's everything for what I like playing Doom wads.

This gameplay style is the best. Had a blast with this one.

Love this map, man! The layout is great and makes for some memorable and fun encounters, love the visuals for being very very attractive while not getting in the way and having an oldschoolish Memento Mori / Requiem vibe to them while still looking fantastic; something I'm not capable of doing. :P

5/5

Looking forward to more Franckmaps!

Yep, a good map. I liked it.

Something I didn't care for though:
-There was a monster blocking line surrounding the area where you get the rocketlauncher, which made the slaughter of some twenty pigs anything but challenging.

Other than that, well done!

MFG38 said:

Is this by any chance inspired by DTWID? Somehow a lot of the room layouts reminded me of several maps in that wad.

No, I tried to make an ID-like map, by remembering me of the architecture about Doom1 and Doom2. :) I like very much bringing a discreet tribute of Iwad, in my maps x)

Demon of the Well said:

and a very strangely-placed SSG

Yeah.. I hesitated to add a SSG, or to place a RL, but the SSG is understandable if to meet you for the first time this room, and that you didn't take the RL, nor the plasmagun, you will be then in front of 2 Barons of Hell, 4 Cacos, and some zombimans /imps/demons... In this case there, the ssg can be useful.^^

Olroda said:

Yep, a good map. I liked it.

Something I didn't care for though:
-There was a monster blocking line surrounding the area where you get the rocketlauncher, which made the slaughter of some twenty pigs anything but challenging.

I fixed that for the /idgames version :)

Anyway, muska is now in /idgames :)

Thanks for your comments!

Very nice map, really fun to get lost in. Took me half an hour to finish, and wasn't massively difficult, but so enjoyable I wanted it to keep going.

Memfis said:

btw I hate how blue is so unnoticeable on prboom-plus' automap, I can never find any blue doors\switches while I'm looking at it. http://i.imgur.com/xPJw5Nm.png - try finding a yellow object and then try finding a blue one.

The blue line would be slightly easier to find if you didn't use IDDT, maybe. But you're right, blue isn't distinct enough with this automap color scheme.

This isn't really vanilla, there are several VPO's and tutti-fruities, it can't even save there.
There's a blocking corpse way above near the slow pipe elevator.

joe-ilya said:

This isn't really vanilla, there are several VPO's and tutti-fruities, it can't even save there.
There's a blocking corpse way above near the slow pipe elevator.

Where do you see VPOs? I often tested on Chocolate-Doom, in fullscreen, and I didn't detect VPO, except for an inaccessible zone, there is also one very minor HOM, very difficult to notice. Maybe that Doom2.exe is more sensitive for that. I haven't never tried to save, but it's completely possible because the size of the map is pretty big. I didn't see Tutti-frutti.

Oh and I noticed that you played the first version of this map, the blocking corpse is fixed in the idgames version.

franckFRAG said:

Where do you see VPOs? I often tested on Chocolate-Doom, in fullscreen, and I didn't detect VPO

When testing maps, I always use Chocorenderlimits, as it clearly shows all the relevant render stats on the screen, and alerts the user when any overflow occurs.

Then I use Visplane Explorer, just to be certain there are no pesky VPOs left lurking in the nooks and crannies of the map.

I'll download and play your map later. Looks interesting.

Really enjoyable map. Great visuals and even better game play. Loved it. I'd be interested to know how long it took to develop, as it's obvious a lot of care and attention went into this map.

joe-ilya said:

I've only played it in PrBoom+. According to Visplane Explorer, there is only one VPO on the entire map, and that particular spot is inaccessible to the player. I might replay this map later in Chocolate Doom. I need to find the rest of the secrets anyway.

Dave The Daring said:

I'd be interested to know how long it took to develop, as it's obvious a lot of care and attention went into this map.

The answer is visible right at the top of the wad's /idgames page. "Build time: few months".

joe-ilya said:

This isn't really vanilla ...

My FDA was recorded with doom2.exe, so it works.

scifista42 said:

The answer is visible right at the top of the wad's /idgames page. "Build time: few months".

I could be pedantic and point out that the word 'few' doesn't actually represent an exact value, but that would just be petty retaliation to you highlighting my failure to read the information supplied on the /idgames download page.

Nonetheless, the word 'few' doesn't actually represent an exact value. So there!

joe-ilya said:

The hanging body circled red is blocking the path.

Oh, I forgotten this blocking corpse :/

Dave The Daring said:

I could be pedantic and point out that the word 'few' doesn't actually represent an exact value, but that would just be petty retaliation to you highlighting my failure to read the information supplied on the /idgames download page.

Nonetheless, the word 'few' doesn't actually represent an exact value. So there!

Hey, to be exact, I created this map with some break time, I think that I made it in 2 or 3 months. :)