Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

Cacowards 2015 Nomination Thread

heap all your adulation unto this thread, but kno that the awards wyll be decided by the first tenne hedgehogs to emerge from ye ball pit

Too late for both.

Cacowards are for this year's mods, not those from previous years.

Gez said:

Too late for both.

You mean both that came out this year and in 2015? :P

Gez said:

Too late for both.

Wouldn't it also include ones that first started in previous years, so long as they were updated since then? That's the way it works according to past Cacowards at least.

alterworldruler said:

You mean both that came out this year and in 2015? :P

December 10 to December 31 is still in 2014. :p

Cacowards 2014 covered mods released in 2014 (minus last two thirds of December, plus last two-third of December 2013). Cacowards 2015 will cover mods released in 2015 (likewise).

So, "one year's Cacowards are for this year's mods".

scroton said:

Wouldn't it also include ones that first started in previous years, so long as they were updated since then? That's the way it works according to past Cacowards at least.

Obviously we're talking about the release date, not the project start date. Lots of projects take more than one year to complete, there's even a category for the longest development time.

Gez said:

Too late for both.

Guess I will have to wait. Though I heard that PSX The Absoloution will may be released in 2015 so that can that be a cacoward. :)

1993res.wad for best....um something.

The Cacowards said:

Pelican of the Hour[/b]

This year's hotly contested Annual Pelican of the Hour award goes to... an actual pelican! We've come full-circle, folks, and are completely and totally not out of ideas for this sidebar column whatsoever! See you again next year when we replace this section with something completely different!

How about a mention of the best custom resources, lots of people spend time making new textures, music, items, & monsters, and they don't get an award of their own.

Jaws In Space said:

1993res.wad for best....um something.

How about a mention of the best custom resources, lots of people spend time making new textures, music, items, & monsters, and they don't get an award of their own.

Resourcer of the year

I think it has too much sense to win the Pelican of the Hour. Anyways, John Romero winning a caco would be fun.

Darch said:

I think it has too much sense to win the Pelican of the Hour. Anyways, John Romero winning a caco would be fun.

Absolutely not, until he releases something to the community. His total non-involvement in the last 2 decades is a total disqualifier. Cacowards aren't for people who made the game; they're for people who have kept it alive. Romero already got his just rewards for Doom, from the industry and the press; not to mention the millions of dollars.

Although people hate opening up the Espi Award discussion early, I'm doing it anyway by nominating Jim Flynn. Besides authoring numerous wads including part of the Master Levels, he also coded BOOM, updated DETH to work with it (without which a lot of BOOM features would have been unusable, since all the other editors had severe limitations at the time), and wrote several useful utilities. Due to age and illness, it's quite likely that he's near the end of his life (he is still living as best I can verify, though there's nearly no information available to me as to how his situation developed after 2006) and I think we should honor him now while he might still be around to appreciate it, should the news reach him.

Quasar said:

Due to age and illness, it's quite likely that he's near the end of his life (he is still living as best I can verify, though there's nearly no information available to me as to how his situation developed after 2006) and I think we should honor him now while he might still be around to appreciate it, should the news reach him.

That's really sad to hear and sounds like a worthy nomination.

scifista42 said:

Maybe Darch's point was to award Romero for releasing the early Doom content recently.

While certainly interesting, a few spare sprites aren't enough for a Cacoward in my mind.

Quasar said:

Absolutely not, until he releases something to the community. His total non-involvement in the last 2 decades is a total disqualifier. Cacowards aren't for people who made the game; they're for people who have kept it alive. Romero already got his just rewards for Doom, from the industry and the press; not to mention the millions of dollars.

Although people hate opening up the Espi Award discussion early, I'm doing it anyway by nominating Jim Flynn. Besides authoring numerous wads including part of the Master Levels, he also coded BOOM, updated DETH to work with it (without which a lot of BOOM features would have been unusable, since all the other editors had severe limitations at the time), and wrote several useful utilities. Due to age and illness, it's quite likely that he's near the end of his life (he is still living as best I can verify, though there's nearly no information available to me as to how his situation developed after 2006) and I think we should honor him now while he might still be around to appreciate it, should the news reach him.

not to tip my hand but Flynn was the first person I had in mind when the espi award came up for pretty much every reason quasar has mentioned

My Espi award nomination would be between Jim Flynn and Enjay. Not only have they contributed so much to the community but I feel that what they both have contributed has most of the time been to an excellent standard of quality. Not to mention, Flynn's involvement in team projects/big name wads and Enjay's everlasting contribution to new styles in his projects, whether that be game play wise or making the ZDoom engine his bitch he always knows how to bend and manipulate it to come up with something different.

"Fourthing" Flynn, because yes, though Enjay is a strong candidate too. Good to know the 'ward ain't dead. :D

On the subject of lifetime achievement awards, Andy Olivera's rescue of the DSDA is pretty legendary in my eyes. It's one of those sites I've taken for granted, but been using for like 15 years.