Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Romero Goes Ham, Reveals New-Old Artwork

To commemorate Doom's 21st birthday, Doom designer John Romero has gone insane on his Twitter account and has posted an enormous amount of previously-unseen artwork from Doom's development days back in 1993 / 1994. You can see everything on this Storify, including somewhat-interesting things like raw scans of the Cyberdemon, Archvile, Spiderdemon, Baron of Hell, Revenant, and Doomguy, fairly interesting things like an unused BFG revision and sprites of the Doomguy and Demon dying horrible deaths, exceedingly interesting things like an entirely new font, unused sprites, and some never before seen textures, and utterly vital things like a Spiderdemon waving her hands in the air like she just doesn't care.

Wait, they all seem to be in a lossy format. Is there any way to get to the uncompressed version or did he just not upload any?

A realy different looking BFG, a player with an exploded head (headshot ?), The player ripped in half with exposed stretching guts, Brutally exploding demon, the original lost soul, 63 pieces of awesome behind the scenes doom textures. The look it provides into how they digitized the game objects is amazing... and how much they probably had to rapaint by hand to eventualy make it look good. they clearly envisioned a more brutal game once.

Epic.

Xaser said:

(source: "the Quake Live guys")

That would be sponge, I believe.

Amazing! definitively going to use this pile of meat and burning green column in some maps.. (and some of those vintage textures)

david_a said:

The Pinky legs were a Dilophosaurus!? @_@

The more you know.

I'm really loving how the next day people had ripped all the PNG assets and found things like this. The community could be benefited of this kind of fast-paced activity...

I mean, we could also use some more of those hidden Doom gems, of course! Hopefully we may get more stuff in the future.

Ooooooh, juicy! I definitely see some textures I'm already itching to use. That pile of meat is awesome, it's too bad it was left out of the final game. The marine splitting in half is awesome and also sort of funny.

StupidBunny said:

The marine splitting in half is awesome and also sort of funny.

Unfun fact: the states for lying legs and torso decorations still exist in the game. Their DeHackEd numbers are 892 and 893.

892 (S_DEADTORSO) looks like a regular dead marine, 893 (S_DEADBOTTOM) uses a seemingly random frame from the gibbing animation, because the sprites have changed since the press release beta.

Wow, this is great! I love that Romero shares this stuff.

Goddamn those Archvile raws are siiiiick

Xaser said:

Jimmy n' Minigunner n' I sat down and had a go at cutting out and resizing the new stuff for Doomy use. Hope some folks find some use out of it!

http://static.angryscience.net/doom/1993res.wad

[EDIT] Updated the wad with a couple of proto-SSG sprites that Kinsie posted (source: "the Quake Live guys") here. May as well. :P

It would be awesome if we had this compiled with assets from the Alpha and so on, so there would be a comprehensive WAD of unused art.