Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

The Idle Genre: Pinnacle of Videogaming

Warning, only handle this link in a level 4 bio-containment facility in a hazmat suit:

kongregate.com/games/Playsaurus/clicker-heroes

The idle genre is a breakthrough in gaming where computer scientists have managed to fuse the quarter popping (and now achievement earning) addiction of arcade games with the dreariness of a loading screen. The game.. plays itself.. and you watch, and watch and watch. Only you can't just minimize the window and do something else because clicking on a hoagie every 5 minutes or a powerup with an HOUR long wait time every hour makes the loading of this loading screen game fusion load slightly faster. Animation, sound and a sense of progress trick unsuspecting victims that its a game, when really your are counting to infinity. So now you're babysitting this thing because you've passed the point of no return, figuring the way forward surely has to be quicker than the way backward, and you've bought a new billion dollar hero and are waiting for enough money to buy the trillion (then quadrillion etc) dollar one, not realizing the loading screen is essentially eternally extended. You have to check up on it every 10 minutes because the way the numbers exponentially increase means you will be stuck in linearly increasing pathetic numbers, no matter how long you leave it run overnight, until you click on the next levels.

I got to level 105 after 2 days of letting this thing run (probably the power elite use "human computation" behind the scenes in this game. Maybe during those 2 days I was really an unknowing employee of NSA using my computing power to scan all of your emails to help them better screw you) and then windows update comes up and says "lol your computer will restart whether you want it to or not, you can do it now or be reminded in 15min/1hour/4hours max" (there was some regedit solution but that required.. restarting the computer too). Well I don't want to wake up in 4 hours, and I realize the game is evil, so I finally overcome the addiction and reluctantly turn it off (after briefly testing a game feature where you are supposed to restart at the beginning in exchange for like 6 'hero souls' you should have by level 105ish. Yes, part of the game, after clicking as fast as possible (the worst type of input cuz it freakin hurts your fingers like in mario party) for 2 days straight is to.. restart over at the beginning.. with 'hero souls' where you can buy some bla bla thing to make progress only very slightly faster next time through). But anyway I just completely quit so didn't test that feature long, due to windows update. Anyway next day, I can't fight the mental disease of addiction so start playing it from beginning AGAIN, this time armed with an auto mouse clicker (after failing to code one in python because that computer had trouble installing drpython plus couldn't recognize win32api bla bla). So I get all the way to level 99 or so AGAIN, this time taking about 24 hours of constant babysitting plus leaving it run overnight. Well I start watching youtube on a side window since its so... boring, yet addicting. And I forget the auto clicker is running when I move the mouse to the youtube window... oops, the kongregate window is accidentally clicked to some other page due to the auto clicker. I press the back button and the game is back at level 0. Anyway I quit it forever, and wanted to warn others to never get sucked into this time sink.

The way you described this game makes it sound like some bizarre fusion of a good creepypasta and a bad computer-eating virus monster by the NSA.

fraggle said:

Looks like a Cookie Clicker rip-off, and every bit as idiotic.

If there's an "idle genre" then the pinnacle of it is IdleRPG.

I've had that go overnight once. I stopped watching at level 2. It was dull. Once upon a time I made a random quest generator that found a hive of people that would read quest after quest. Each quest was a page or so long. One guy suggested turning it into a novel generator. Still working on that idea. It wasn't a mad lib like people expected.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

"Progress Quest" already happened years ago. And inspired a moronic jokewad, too.

ooo its Progress Quest. That's the one I had on.

I'm playing Clicker heroes. As mindless as it is, I have to say Attack of the Groupies is even more mindless. Like you can walk away when you get halfway through each level.

I clicked some 65000 times in 6h 40m. Then it started to get too slow.

Doom II already did this sort of game when you finished it...

Jimi said:

I clicked some 65000 times in 6h 40m. Then it started to get too slow.

Doom II already did this sort of game when you finished it...

That's why there are microtransactions silly. I played up to level 40 I think. Then I forced myself to shut the browser window. I got shit to do. I did think about having it run in the background, but nah best to kick the habit before it takes hold.

After playing fucking difficult non grindy games, this made me sad how much of a joy it was to play.

I thought I only play it this once, so better play it as far as possible. Eventually I stopped at 76901 clicks with over 4000B DPS and 100000M click damage. Stayed up to 9am. Had some funny dreams.

I tried my hardest to figure out how to lose. But then I gave up. Also, there are freakish werecat abominations in this game, no thanks.

Speaking of idling, I've been experimenting with batch files a bit more, and I found that prboom-plus can spit out "levelstats" after playing, showing kills, items, and secrets per level. I believe I can extract those numbers and total them up in a separate text file so I can keep track of my body count. I haven't checked but if prboom can make a levelstats after watching a demo, I could run a series demos one after the other, walk away, and let my death-toll add up :)

I started playing an old school RPG. I can't get this game out of my head. Every boss is a grind to get up to their level to defeat them. Then I just think oh fuck only another hour before I get to that boss and start the hour or two grind to beat that boss.

So this game pops in. At least I'm not wasting time on things like travel and going through towns or figuring out what to do next.

I think this game may have just ruined RPGs for me. Congrats.

Steam has it and maybe always did. Steam keeps recommending it. So I did. I setup a 2nd computer and an auto clicker to click 30x per second and I'd halt to do upgrades. 20 hours in of auto clicking and I'm at 20 hours.

One of my Steam friends said I've played it all day yesterday and he's right... because I'm not playing it. I'm cheating.

Sorry for the necro post, but now its on Steam so its big news guys! Along with Adventure Capitalist! A game that you don't even have to play.

I think Facebook/Zynga is to blame for developing this kind of "games": the core idea of many Facebook "classics" such as Farmville/Vampire Wars/Fishville/Mafia Wars etc. is simply waiting for stuff to happen or unlock (or paying to get them over faster). In essence, you wait just to click on something that performs an action.

Certainly, this way you can have a "game" that you can dedicate a grand total of 5 minutes each time you log in (since stuff ain't gonna happen faster anyway, unless you pay...) and be done for the day but it's a pointless, time-bound game, where you know very well that you probably aren't going to unlock everything until you're 99 yo or something (or pay). It's really a non-game game.

Many "free to play" MMOs/MMRPGs/MMxxxs also force players into endless waiting cycles until some upgrade has been researches or an action completed, and always give an advantage to paying players over "freeloaders". The best aspect of those games, IMO, is quitting them.

Agreed, just quit. Don't get started. They're addictive because you're always being rewarded for nothing. You always see how long it takes for that reward. It softens people to what a real reward is that comes with work and accomplishment.

As for grind games I'm done with them. If a game's way of making it fun is to grind, its not a game, its work. At least with old school RPGs, the combat is a game of chess. These are just waiting games. Even cheating I'm now 23 hours in and I just saw there are 160+ levels and I'm at 74. Its time to say eh fuck it.

GoatLord said:

I...I'm so lost right now. I am really out of the loop with gaming. What the fuck is this.

Its like a game that you just sit and watch it while your stats and gold go up. You use gold to buy experience to level up your characters that you don't ever see so they can do more damage so you can get more gold.

Poor gggmork. This was like his house and now he can't be here.

Idle games are fake. And smelly.

I miss his nonsensical conspiracy trolling; or perhaps we're on such a lower plane of consciousness we're incapable of comprehending his ascended knowledge. ;)

scalliano said:

What the fuck is next? Super Watching Paint Dry 3D???

Greenlit and pre-ordered 100,000 copies at $10 a piece.

Really? Someone got banned over this thread? Why not just send it to hell?

Jaxxoon R said:

gggmork got banned? I thought they just hid the Everything Else from him, what the fuck?

That's what it says over his avatar.

On a very related note, I keep misreading this thread as "Idle Genre: Pineapple of Videogaming" and it makes me want pineapple juice :( Such a disappointment.