Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

E2 replacement for Ultimate Doom: "Hell clash" (doooooooone!)

Does this have potential?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Does this have potential?

• Yeah
    • Nope
    • Impse

Inspired by the E3 by paul and E4 by cannonball replacements.
This episode I'm making is going to be vanilla compapitible unlike both of these I've mentioned above.
List of maps :
E2M1 - Death Vent
E2M2 - Burning of the decade
E2M3 - Walls
E2M4 - Hacked engine
E2M5 - Lost and Found
E2M6 - Trashing center
E2M7 - A step closer from hell
E2M8 - The top
E2M9 - Insta-Farm

Screenshot of E2M1 :

Download the full episode here : http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/g-i/helclash

Make sure you lower unpeg that window in the screenshot. Other than that, looks okay aside from a lack of light level variation.

Not bad, actually - a bit bare in places, and flat/linear, but nothing offensive.

I'm actually okay with keeping the windows as they are (I think the 'bars' part of the texture looks good at the bottom), but I noticed the lack of horizontal alignment with the surrounding walls right away.

Also, if you want the red walls to animate, you need to use FIRELAVA as the texture, not FIRELAV2 (even though that's the first texture alphanumerically). Not sure if you wanted it to animate or not though.

First screenshot (in the OP) is okay, but doesn't show a lot. Regarding the second screenshot:

joe-ilya said:

I've just started making E2M2
http://i.imgur.com/EQgjVPF.png

Looks rather bland. The uniform ceiling height in that area gives a bad impression. Also you have a misaligned SLADWALL seam in a gate down there. Not entirely bad, though, it's at least slightly resembling a canyon (instead of totally abstract bunch of sectors, that is).

When changing textures, you might want to add SUPPORT2/SUPPORT3 to parts such as that first shot where BROWN96 and GRAYTALL(?) collide. Playing Doom E1 will give you a good impression on what to do when textures change.

Also, vary your lighting more, it looks pretty uniform in brightness.

Glaice said:

Also, vary your lighting more, it looks pretty uniform in brightness.

Brightness 192 is joe-ilya's standard. I don't mind it personally, I tend to prefer brightness over darkness, and the default value is chosen well. But it's definitely a good advice, to work more on lighting.

I like your idea with a classic E2 replacement.

I thought about making an E2 after Incineration. But I have now decided to now finish off Doomed Space Wars which will be out sometime next year.

E2M2 is done and has been added into the wad. E2M1 has been upgraded as well.

EDIT : Was adding the impse option at the poll 'that' neccesary?

In both maps, there were too many walls forming nothing else than large bland surfaces covered by a single texture. Floor and ceiling textures (and heights) also didn't vary too much - I don't say "not at all", I say "not enough". Gameplay wasn't bad, but simplistic and quite uninspired, sorry to say. The usage of flaming textures was slightly jarring, but at least interesting. Overally, you've mixed quite a few different themes within each of the maps, but it's actually okay for a classic-like E2. As it is, I see the wad as average. Try to come up with more visually appealing design and layout and gameplay-related ideas (instead of just ambush after ambush, all lowly threatening).

Definitely some of your best-looking maps that I've played. The building with the magma walls was a little weird-looking but I appreciate that you were going for the kind of surreal hellishness that E2 was good at. I think the biggest suggestion I have at this stage is that too many battles consist of one closet or platform with monsters opening/being lowered, which becomes repetitive quickly. I might suggest varying up the traps a bit, have some free-wandering enemies as well as ambushes, and also trying to have monsters come from just one place or direction in any given situation.

joe-ilya said:

EDIT : Was adding the impse option at the poll 'that' neccesary?

That's what got me to vote. Nice maps, I see slight improvement since lost maps. I hate that FIREMAG wall so much though.

It's decent, but I strongly recommend using the classic doom music rather than the geeky green day midis you use in your wads. Also, the levels are a bit linear. Take a look at ID's level designs for the original doom. that should give you an idea of a good classic styled wad. I hope to see more from you.

joe-ilya said:

http://i.imgur.com/prRwE47.png
E2M3 is done and is updated at the OP.

IMO, the improvement in lighting helped a lot. And even though the map is still very simplistic and bland-looking, the texturing and shapes looked slightly more "professional" than your average. There weren't outstandingly ugly texture choices and combinations, or crazy angled walls (just relatively natural-looking rocky and cave-y structures and pieces of brick walls, which I've found okay). Tyson gameplay in this map was... okay, at least (and at most). Really simple, but nice job.

Breezeep said:

It's decent, but I strongly recommend using the classic doom music rather than the geeky green day midis you use in your wads.

I'd meant to point this out in my last critique. After E2M1 I was expecting to hear the nice, ominous E2M2 track, and it was jarring to suddenly be treated to this upbeat out-of-place Green Day song you chose. E2 did a great job of building this doom-laden atmosphere of descending into Hell and the music should reflect that somewhat.

Alright! The next update will have the level names implemented and a MIDI change.

The next map will be more complex and longer.

Would be cool if someone would make the intermission screen for me as I have all the names at the OP.

E2M4 and a bunch of MIDI and graphic replacements are within the wad of the OP now.

EDIT : IMPSE takes over "nope" at the poll.

Those are some unusual combinations...FLAT1 with COMPSPAN, BRNSMALC with COMPBLUE, etc.

So Joe, I've played your mapset again, this time continuously and with the new 4th map. I'd say that it overally feels very 94-ish, only slightly better looking than that. Gameplay tends to be really easy and mostly idealess (run and shoot your front, sometimes turn back), and architecture and menu graphics (!) and music and the way how textures clash with each other seems very "oldschool" as well. IMO, you should try to improve your mapping in these regards, if you wanted them to be more successful (which I know you wanted). But none of the maps is actually too bad, and they play okay on the whole. So far it's worth 2.5/5 stars for me.

I have to say, though, I liked how in E2M4, the imps attacked me from raised dark cages, and then I've pressed a switch and their floors descended, leaving the cages up, and the imps could walk out. Simple yet interesting mechanic.

Hmm, I will play this. This may make me learn about gameplay since so fat recently, my wads lack that.

WintCity.wad is one of them (WIP)

Edit: On second thought, nevermind.

scifista42 said:

FLAT1 with COMPSPAN is not really unusual.

Green marble with COMPBLUE, that one is!

Abstract choices, just like in E1 and E3?

E2M5 FDA, -complevel 3. At time 7:02, an imp fireball apparently hits a falling dead cacodemon corpse. The map was simple, yet OK. I liked it.

I had a lot of fun playing this, Joe! It reminded me a lot of slaughter until death (SUDTIC.WAD) I laughed out loud when I saw the map title "Walls." Surely you can think of a name a bit for special than that :)

E2M3 was a super cool map though. The traps and barrels were a lot of fun. I also noticed something I've never really noticed before with the GSTONE walls against the water. The way the marble fades from green to gray in the darkness almost makes it look shiny and reflective of the blue water below. It looks really cool.

I thought E2M4 was a little light with ammo if you go for the red key first, which is what I did the first time. When I went for the blue key first the second time, I did much better. Maybe the map could use a chainsaw or berserk pack to make it less of a problem.

E2M5 was pretty hard, I ran out of time before I got to finish it. I'm looking forward to the rest of the episode!

hey joe, here's some fdas for e2m1-5 + 9: https://www.mediafire.com/?fl4te3nfs0q4fw6

overall I thought it was a palatable experience for someone looking to just zone out and mindlessly kill some monsters. Being restricted to D1 bestiary reduces the tension quite a bit, without chainers/rev/av rarely is there a feeling of "any sudden trap can kill me", so this was more of a relaxing wad. Much of the zaniness that characterized your early work seems to have been flushed out, I kinda miss the haphazard texturing tbh :p. I liked e2m4, the texturing there was the most interesting to me. btw the insta-popping trees were fun and quirky, I wished they played a bigger role in the map.

Some misc suggestions:
- some areas are dark.. like.. really dark. I didn't want to up the gamma (because playing on gamma 3/4 with software looks like a washed-out mess) but I was forced to for a couple of the maps (I think e2m5 was the biggest offender here). ended up dying to some spectres in a pitch black area
- some annoying baron usage: often they'll be perched in non-threatening locations. I'd say either replace them with another monster or give the player more rockets to dispense them quicker.

But there's haphazard texturing.

I'll light up the super dark areas and put barrels around the barons, how's that for a change?