Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NuMetalManiak

preferred walkthrough style?

(I probably could've asked this question on the discussion boards over there, but I'm not sure exactly how they run yet so I went here.)

I just recently joined Doomwiki.org just to see if I can do some walkthroughs for certain PWADs over there. I took note of how walkthroughs on other game sites are done, and I am now wondering which style of walkthrough works best for what I'm trying to do. Should I try the simple "get from start to exit only" type of walkthrough or should I cover as much as I possibly can as I go? And as for weapons, monsters, etc, how much should I cover for of them? I feel like if I give too much information, it may cause the reader to lose interest, but at the same time giving a little less might make them lose their place.

Finishing a map isn't usually a big deal. Getting 100% should be your objective I think.

I see a walkthrough as something that gives you everything you need to know about a certain level, so covering 100% of it would be ideal. When I play through levels, I do try to get 100%, but often times I end up getting less or even no secrets if they're tricky to find and I don't have the patience, or I felt like I've been on the level way too long just dicking around. I'll only force myself to find a secret if I know it leads to a secret map or has like a megasphere or something.

(Great avatar, btw :D)

I've been making walkthroughs of Community Chest 2, and so far, none of them are 100%. in them, I automatically assume that the player will be able to take out monsters and/or collect items as they go through the level, pointing out only what's notable. I can see 100% walkthroughs as "ideal" but I found other types as well. my walkthroughs so far are mostly casual, especially since the wiki pages for Cchest2's levels already have the secrets listed so I don't have to do that.

I also want to make my walkthroughs so that some people won't "cheat" and look up a certain map in an editor.

Different readers want different things from the walkthrough.  Maybe they're just starting and need the blue key, or maybe they know the level well but can't find one secret.  Therefore, I vote for being thorough.

Also, remember that a wiki page is supposed to be a complete reference for the topic.  *All* interesting information about a map should be included somewhere, even if not in the walkthrough section.

I do agree about the monsters.  General combat advice is already given in the monster and weapon articles.  Then, when describing a map, only unusual situations need pointing out.

Suggestion: make it easy to find and skip to particular points in the walkthrough. I rarely use walkthroughs from start to finish but I do use them to find out how to solve/pass/find particular sections of a level. So, I tend to search for a tip about the particular bit I'm interested in, skip to that, use the information and then try to continue using my own playing to reveal stuff.

General point: using walkthroughs this way probably also explains why I find video walkthroughs slow, cumbersome and almost useless. Just give me some text that I can easily skip through to find what I want.