Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuki Senmatsu

My first Xmas wad

Dear sweet what. I noticed this multiple times in this map and your previous one: you really need to learn how to use F_SKY1 properly. Gameplay-wise it's pretty meh: the layout is remarkably linear and the map as a whole is rather unexciting, even with the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. And why exactly are there Wolfenstein SS wandering around? I honestly reckon you should check out some of the old classic vanilla maps, because it really seems like you need to study the basics some more. Apologies if I seem too harsh on you, but you really need to start a little simpler before you tackle this sort of thing. The sprite replacement is pretty cool though, I will say that much.

Obsidian said:

Dear sweet what. I noticed this multiple times in this map and your previous one: you really need to learn how to use F_SKY1 properly. Gameplay-wise it's pretty meh: the layout is remarkably linear and the map as a whole is rather unexciting, even with the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. And why exactly are there Wolfenstein SS wandering around? I honestly reckon you should check out some of the old classic vanilla maps, because it really seems like you need to study the basics some more. Apologies if I seem too harsh on you, but you really need to start a little simpler before you tackle this sort of thing. The sprite replacement is pretty cool though, I will say that much.

The reason WolfSS is in the army dump is because well, let's say they are robbing the store for weapons. As for the sky, it's a bit tricky to get the layers without HOM.

I also didn't want it to make the map too hard. I'm also trying to get used to classic DOOM mapping.

I'll try to fix these issues.

Thematically the WolfSS don't really fit in there: I'd recommend that you nix them. Also considering you can't actually get into the small buildings it'd be a better idea to simply have them as raised sectors instead.

actually, SS seems to be used in every Xmas mod i've played. H2H-Xmas, Enjay's collection of Xmas levels, JudgeSpear's X-Mas Nightmare... they all have SS in them for some reason. not everywhere, mind you, but as part of the enemies at some points.

Huh. Maybe I should put them back.

As for the brick walls that's causing bad sky layers, I may need to raise the sector all the way up.

Sounds like you came up for that reason the wolfenstein SS troopers are there on the fly. Never just make up bullshit for the reason you do something in a map, plan it from the beginning and you will be much more successful. If a story wad is what you're going for, use zdoom for scripting. Else, you don't need to write one, I just wanna shoot shit.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Sounds like you came up for that reason the wolfenstein SS troopers are there on the fly. Never just make up bullshit for the reason you do something in a map, plan it from the beginning and you will be much more successful. If a story wad is what you're going for, use zdoom for scripting. Else, you don't need to write one, I just wanna shoot shit.

I wasn't planning on making it to a story wad. I wanted to make a classic oldschool Xmas wad.

I did resolve the sky layer issue. Making it gameplay wise, that's the tricky bit. Any tips, feedback and advice?

Obsidian said:

Gameplay-wise it's pretty meh: the layout is remarkably linear and the map as a whole is rather unexciting, even with the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. The sprite replacement is pretty cool though, I will say that much.

I agree with Obsidian. The custom resources are very interesting, but level design itself is subpar (linearity, blocki-ness, huge bland walls, overly simple monster encounters, horrendous backtracking in the end). At least the map is kinda semi-realistically approached (there are roads and buildings), which once again adds to its good part. All of these characteristics blend together into something... strange. But definitely playable and even enjoyable, although I suspect that it's only thanks to the continually introduced custom sprites and textures. The ammo shop was a nice idea too. Music was also good, and influenced the map's overall mood.

I liked the wad, but with a grain of salt - quite a few grains of salt, actually. It's an average 3/5 stars wad for me.

A bit late, but, I did study a bit. Well, I've added a bit tougher monsters since I did read a reply of scifista. Low level monsters mostly not the way to go. I've also changed the sprite for the Shotgunner. I made him into the Energizer Bunny. Well, think of him as a killer toy since Christmas? Toys? Also, the sounds of the Arachnotron may have static noises. I never knew Wav format sounds were buggy and I know there are programs that converts Wav to 8 bit, but I don't know how to make them to Wav formats properly. I did try out the suggestion of Obsidian on one thread, but I can't find the option to make it 8 bit. Also tried Windows Sound recorder, but I don't have the right stuff for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uehk8luxnofdcfz/WintCity.wad?dl=0

It may be a bit harder just a fair warning. Did playtest it though.

Hopefully I did resolve the sky problem. I probably didn't still.

Meh, we'll see how things will go.

Omegalore said:

Well, I've added a bit tougher monsters since I did read a reply of scifista. Low level monsters mostly not the way to go.

You've misunderstood my post, then: Simply adding tougher monsters won't help, since they're all very easily skippable in this map, so fighting them would be tedious at most - I admit, I've been skipping a lot of fights. The layout stayed the same in principle, monster cast haven't changed that much, in my view it's the very same quality as it was before.