Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorFoley

Making a Plutonia/TNT music Wad

Hey guys, when I play DOOM I prefer to listen to the CD version of the music tracks.

Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qURei6svd90&index=1&list=PLC0616B60014748B6

There are 2 wads for The ultimate DOOM and DOOM II that use the OST tracks but none for Plutonia so I thought I could make one for it using the OST versions for the music. The problem is I'm new to WAD editing and when I looked at both wads their naming conventions are different (DOOM 1 is like D_e1m1 and doom 2 is D2_runnin ) or something like that.

Another problem is in these wads according to slade their source is MP3 and the size is pretty small. But my sound files seem to be a bit bigger (images will be posted to show difference.)

Picture with difference is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ir5brcby0o492fo/Doom%20Wad%20sizes%20from%20D2-pcmus.wad.png?dl=0

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this task

MajorFoley said:

The problem is I'm new to WAD editing and when I looked at both wads their naming conventions are different (DOOM 1 is like D_e1m1 and doom 2 is D2_runnin ) or something like that.

Music naming conventions in Plutonia are the exact same as in Doom 2. "D_RUNNIN" is MAP01's music, and so on.

Thanks guys it worked naming it with the doom 2 style. Now I just need to figure out how to make the files smaller. I mean the D2-pcmus.wad was about 64MB but if I continue doing this I think the wad ill make will reach about 100MB+ so gotta think of a way to shrink it. Any ideas?

an example of 2 tracks settings, it seems I gotta lower the bit rate but I don't want to just export the tracks out of the wad because there are a couple of tracks I wish to replace.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0x9aqzuw01l39z/doom%20music%20settings.png?dl=0

So any programs to recommend?

Oh another thing is that when I put an mp3 in it seems to come up as unknown for some tracks in the wad but still works while the other wads come up as sound (mp3), whats up with that?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvde3bdvka6xsc3/unknown.png?dl=0

.ogg is much more compact in filesize than .mp3 but it would require you to convert the .mp3 files to .ogg first.

I would recommend opening the .mp3 files in Audacity and then export them as .ogg files.

-

Although I am not sure if .ogg sounds better or worse for your music, I rarely actually convert mp3 to .ogg files so I wouldn't know the difference.

EDIT: Actually, it sounds pretty fine (Well at least I can't notice the difference).

mrthejoshmon said:

.ogg is much more compact in filesize than .mp3 but it would require you to convert the .mp3 files to .ogg first.

I would recommend opening the .mp3 files in Audacity and then export them as .ogg files.

-

Although I am not sure if .ogg sounds better or worse for your music, I rarely actually convert mp3 to .ogg files so I wouldn't know the difference.

EDIT: Actually, it sounds pretty fine (Well at least I can't notice the difference).

OGG seems to work fine, question what happens if a track is used twice?

MajorFoley said:

OGG seems to work fine, question what happens if a track is used twice?

Use 2 of the same file but rename one of them to the required MUS lump (D_RUNNIN or D_RUNNI2 would be an example of these repeated music choices Doom 2 uses)

Success! its about 74mb when using OGG only 10mb bigger than the original doom 2 wad but it works!. if anyone wants to give it a try and tell me if anything's out of place its right here!

EDIT: Link removed until told otherwise

Would agree, but these just seem to be the SC-55 versions of the original Doom/Doom II tracks used in Plutonia, is that really such a problem?

Oops accidently made a new thread instead of replying, idiot moment by me

If you really want I can remove it form here. I just made it so people could use the version of these tracks instead of the normal ones, there are 2 wads like this for the original dooms as well that's why I just thought to make one for plutonia

I think the case is:

If the tracks are up for fair use (are free and can be used for free) then it is completely fine if you credit the original authors, if they are not fair use then you shouldn't actively put a download up for them...

(I think that is the case at least, can somebody reassure that assumption?)

Well in case it is I will still remove for the time being until someone that's in charge of this forum says its alright, then I will put it up somewhere.

EDIT: So decision made? Also I don't think these versions are sc 55s. Which are the versions that came on CD?