Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Hardest game Enemy you ever fought .

geo said:

I can't even remember HL2E2's boss. I think the episode 1 boss was a strider in a confined area. I also remember the hunters in the episode

they were bosses "FOR EXACT",Striders trying to stop the Missile but was really so hard,you'll have to throw a capsule to it's head and shoot on that capsule,you only get one capsule each time and 3 Rockets for your RPG at the beginning ,and we know that every strider in the game moves quickly and it's hard to aim to it's head if you're getting attacked by other enemies,each time you destroy a strider you have to be quick and ride the car till you find another strider ...
YOU HAVE TO BE QUICK OR YOU'LL FAIL !

geekmarine said:

HL2E2's boss was multiple striders swarming in from different directions, each accompanied by two or three hunters. You had to stop them from interrupting the rocket launch, so the whole battle turns into a kind of FPS tower-defense game. The trickiest part wasn't so much the striders themselves as it was juggling between them to ensure that none of them ever reached the rocket.

oooo THAT. OMG how could I ever forget that? Yeah I spent hours and lives on that, but I was able to complete it. Sadly, that's not just an enemy, that's a swarm of enemies. I remember there was a pattern or something like that. A pattern to go to that they destroyed. That was very difficult, but apparently not memorable, because I didn't remember it until now.

I also did the gnome thing on my first playthrough only to not get the achievement. Why? Because I never closed the hatch. I guess the gnome climbed out. I lugged that thing around the entire game. Every battle and movement I carried it around, thinking it'll glitch and disappear if I leave it on the ground more than a minute.

I've been plowing through a lot of games lately. I looked through my Steam library to see which ones stand out as the hardest for the time wasted trying to beat them. Here are the standouts:

AVGN ADVENTURES FINAL BOSS, the final boss took 3 hours and 100 or so lives on normal difficulty. Then I figured out what I was missing. There's a button to hold so you don't move when you shoot diagonal. Once I figured that out. First life = victory. What made it so difficult? The final phase, the wrecking balls had no pattern. One turned into two. The game is on the easy end of difficult except the final level, but enough times playing through that, I could run through it without dying.

SONIC 4, EPISODE 1 FINAL BOSS he took more than 100 lives. Not just that but I had to harvest those lives. I didn't have to harvest them in AVGN. The boss rush getting to the final boss was easy enough. But then there was phase after phase after phase of the boss. Eventually, I got good enough. The only problem was the final last stand. When you either kill him or die when the entire floor collapses. 10 deaths. This isn't a quick battle either, even when I got as good to do it as quick as possible.

DAIKATANA SERPENT WIZARD This was a difficult made situation. The game crashed at the end of the previous level, so I had to warp from that level to the Serpant Wizard level. All of my overpowered weapons and abilities were stripped. The level was a pain due to how underpowered I was and having an AI partner that randomly died to silly things. The boss itself summons enemies, but also freezes you. If I didn't die, the AI partner would. I had to be very aggressive. It took 2 - 4 hours to overcome this level and countless lives.

FTL FINAL BOSS This is probably the toughest boss on this list. You can't simply survive patterns since every game is different. You need to be prepared for this. I have defeated the boss several times in my 300 hours. Prepare, prepare, prepare. The final ship is justifiably overpowered compared to your own ship. It has counter measures to a lot of tactics. Their doors are super sealed so you can't send over crew to fight their crew. It has super shields, can dodge a lot of your shots. Not just that but the final boss has three phases, each completely different. The second phase shoots holes in your ship with drones that murder your crew, not to mention the dozens of drones outside your ship. I'd say that's the most murderous phase.

ALPHA PROTOCOL DARCY I played Alpha Protocol when it first came out. Until Darcy. I didn't touch it again until years later and I got back to Darcy. A lot of the bosses are difficult. Darcy throws grenades down at you if you get close and snipes when you're far. There is a way to beat him quickly if you have an EMP. It all rests on that EMP to open a lock to sniper him... Otherwise it turns into a long waiting game that lets you use an exploit where you hide, recover health then snipe him with a pistol all while dodging his goons. This took hours of my life. A few of the bosses took a few hours of my life. Even on a second playthrough they were difficult.

TheCupboard said:

This enemy is quite badass but do you think he is really more difficult than Eidolon from Hexen 2 for example? That could really be the most badass Serpent Rider.

D'Sparil, on the hardest difficulty setting, was the hardest video game enemy I had ever fought the first time I did it. He gets easier each time I've played it, but the fact that he basically starts spamming in disciples toward the end and teleporting each time you even turn towards him makes him bloody ridiculous.

The Icon of Sin, though it's not really a boss, but rather, a rather awkward and unintuitive sequence of actions. TBQH, I don't know how anybody encountering it for the first time knew how to fight it or what to do exactly.

The fact that the place gets swarmed by mid-high tier monsters very quickly adds to the frustration, which is actually worse if you do know what you're supposed to do. The first time, I thought I just had to kill whatever is being thrown my way, in some sort of long endurance round. But once you know the secret, then you know that the longer you wait the harder things are gonna get.

Maes said:

The Icon of Sin, though it's not really a boss, but rather, a rather awkward and unintuitive sequence of actions. TBQH, I don't know how anybody encountering it for the first time knew how to fight it or what to do exactly.

The fact that the place gets swarmed by mid-high tier monsters very quickly adds to the frustration, which is actually worse if you do know what you're supposed to do. The first time, I thought I just had to kill whatever is being thrown my way, in some sort of long endurance round. But once you know the secret, then you know that the longer you wait the harder things are gonna get.

Yeah I thought about this one too. It still counts as a boss. As a teen it took me a few hours, but I'm not sure if that's because I always played on Ultra Violence or it was actually difficult.

Honestly, it is almost impossible to pick one from the many assholes I have encountered, so here are a few:

Myrrah from Gears of War 3:

It is not the fact that they are a tough boss, it is the fact that you are surrounded by pretty much everything during the fight making it nearly impossible on Insane difficulty.

Battlelords from Duke 3D:

Not really a tough guy when he is placed in a reasonable position, he is however a complete death sentence in custom maps as people love shoving him in the most bullshit and most inconvenient of places (Like teleporting into a room where 3 of them are ready to gun you down).

That bastard red dragon from Dark Souls:

No matter how many times I beat the game that little bastard was never killed, I hate that thing with a passion.

All it does is run away and do a ridiculously over powering AOE attack on a constant loop, he is harder than most of the bosses in the game.

Them brown aliens from Duke 3D (Alien Drone):

Imagine a pinky that is about 2 times faster and 10 times more deadly. Now imagine a pinky that can jump, shrink you at will, take 3 times as much bullets to kill and also commit random acts of noclip.

That is the Alien Drone, fuck you Alien Drone.

"Enhanced Dog Aliens" (?) from Alien Trilogy:

There is one mission on E2 of Alien Trilogy that has you fight nothing but some regular grown up Dog Aliens, simple enough right?

Well not so simple when just one of them takes an estimate of 15 shotgun shells and 2 seismic charges to kill, the fuckers just don't die and there is loads of them in that one level. Thankfully, I think they only exist in that one level.

Ogres from Oblivion:

So you decided to put the game on hard mode, what could possibly go wrong?

An ogre, that is what will go wrong.

They don't die, they just refuse the concept of death. When you see this guy and you are not armed to the teeth with the best gear you could muster then you are dead, pure and simple.

Today was probably the first time I killed Icon of Sin without vertical mouselook. Didn't even realise earlier I was supposed to shoot the rockets when the lift was raising or when jumping off the lift. Sure it took a few tries, but it didn't feel that difficult. The Motherdemon is harder, unless she's torn apart with the fully upgraded laser. More fun & challenge with other weapons.

Descent series boss robots are definitely very difficult, unless staying out of their sight and firing guided missiles at them...

Shadowman boss was pretty difficult with his guided missiles and plasma beam. The guided missiles aren't so much problem, they vanish eventually, but I still have no idea how to dodge the plasma beam. But if I've upgraded the health full, I'll last long enough to kill him.

Skaarj in Unreal with higher difficulty levels.. they have lots of health, dodge a lot and are pretty common.

Xaero in Quake3 on Nightmare difficulty. I was able to beat him on Hardcore. Maybe I could beat him in some other level on Nightmare.

Silver also had a pretty tough final boss. Can't even remember if I ever beat him.

Trying to kill an alien or predator with knife in AVP2 (MP)... I think I've killed all the different predator classes, and all the regular aliens.. Trying to kill the queen is pretty much suicide, and also pretty difficult to even do all the damage with the knife when there's probably 6 others trying to score with the queen. Can't remember if I ever succeeded in stealing the kill with the knife.

Jimi said:

Sure it took a few tries, but it didn't feel that difficult. The Motherdemon is harder, unless she's torn apart with the fully upgraded laser. More fun & challenge with other weapons.

The motherdemon was more like what you'd expect out of a "normal" videogame boss: a big monster with a lot of HP, dealing lots of damage, with a straightforward "shoot it to win the game" approach.

But the IOS was an almost total sphinx, which gave the player no feedback as to whether he was doing anything remotely on the right track.

Sure, if you manage to get a rocket in, it screams loudly, but that's it. How were you supposed to figure out that you had to lower the platform, ride it up and shoot with a specific weapon at two very precise spots?

Is there anyone out there who figured all of this out on his own and without idclipping to see the Romero head and saying "D'oh, I guess I'm supposed to reach in here somehow, and the only plausible way is to shoot a rocket just before the platform reaches all the way up!", nor reading a guide?

Not to be a broken record, but the Archviles in Hideous Destructor. Not only do they have much better control over reviving the dead, but their attack now always fully executes, their aim being wherever they last had line of sight with you; they spawn a big tall flame that immolates the player should it spawn under him, and then on top of that, when it finally extinguishes from being either attacked, touching a corpse and reviving it, or simply runs out of time, it lets off a series of ripping explosions that trace onto your position, even going through walls. And that's just the attack.

When you make the bastards flinch, they have a strong AoE repulsion that hurts a pretty good deal if you're right next to them. Then, they run away at about 300 miles per hour, noclipping past the level boundaries and then some. They eventually stop and creep back towards the player's position, so there is absolutely no rest when you know one is loose.

The last boss in Paper Mario: the thousand year door, I beat the game beacuse of a lucky miss of her part allowing me to deliver the final blow.

I just spent 45 minutes on a boss. What seems to be the only boss in Afterfall: Insanity. He wasn't just difficult for a few reasons, but his first phase was very slow. The first phase, the hit detection is really questionable. He can whip you through not only solid objects, but giant stone structures that are as thick as a room. His whip giant bone whip can sometimes go half of the arena's distance. He throws his shield, and normally hit detection is pretty good, but a few times it flew through some objects.

When he throws his shield, he's open for shots, but the problem is he moves and flickers like his animations are very jumpy. As big as he is, he's still tough to hit. You need to get up close and your shotgun fires twice before a long reload.

Once the boss enters phase 2, he just beats the fuck out of you. Relentlessly. He cornered me plenty of times, then its just a prolonged death. Not just that, but goons flood the arena. The boss runs as fast as you. Not just that, but the camera is a struggle to see. When I get knocked down the camera reorientates to the boss I was trying to run away from. They're just there to waste your ammo. Eventually I found the secret is there is an ammo dispenser. There's always a trick.

Even with the trick, it was still a glitch that held him still and let me unload two pistol clips in him to finally kill him. While I can't say he's the hardest, it is notable.

Maybe that alien queen from Mario & Luigi Partners in Time but maybe more to do with the fact that it goes on for ages until you finally slip and fuck up.

scifista42 said:

The OP's question is kind of naive, because it can be answered by many examples of ridiculously unbalanced or intentionally shitty games where beating an enemy is literally impossible.

Perhaps we can stick to so-called good games then? And it doesn't have to mean the hardest boss, but the boss which was the hardest for you when you first fought it.

Mine would be Nihilanth as well. Try that on an old, supper laggy computer when, every time you die, quick load takes half a minute, only to die seconds later again, or be teleported by one of its green balls. And again, and again, and again...

I would later devise a save strategy, where I saved normally every now and then and quick save inbetween. That way, I wouldn't accidentally quick save just as I was about to die.

I'm pretty sure though that there are some ridiculously hard bosses in the old video games like Kontra and such.

Kotzugi said:

Mine would be Nihilanth as well. Try that on an old, supper laggy computer when, every time you die, quick load takes half a minute, only to die seconds later again, or be teleported by one of its green balls. And again, and again, and again...

Easiest boss in the game was Nihilanth,easier then Garg or Tantacle all i had to do is to shoot the crystals then shoot the boss ,was that hard ? also if i had an old computer,i coulded just switch the rendering mode to software ...

The ghost wife from Dead Space 2 sucks when you don't have any ammo and you play on hard mode. I thought I was going to beat the game, too. Nope.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Easiest boss in the game was Nihilanth,easier then Garg or Tantacle all i had to do is to shoot the crystals then shoot the boss ,was that hard ? also if i had an old computer,i coulded just switch the rendering mode to software ...

Well I can't remember the details exactly but jumping was a pain because of the low gravity, and didn't you have to jump on its head at the final stage or something? At least you had to jump up and shoot down from above into its head and get it done before he zaps or teleport you or whatever. Most of the time I was stuck in mid-air going along at a snail's pace because of the damn gravity.

Kotzugi said:

Well I can't remember the details exactly but jumping was a pain because of the low gravity, and didn't you have to jump on its head at the final stage or something? At least you had to jump up and shoot down from above into its head and get it done before he zaps or teleport you or whatever. Most of the time I was stuck in mid-air going along at a snail's pace because of the damn gravity.

kind of ,you only have to get close to it's head so you can shoot it's brain "looks like the source of it's energie" takes only 3 minutes to beat it in easy difficulty while in hard mode it's health and damage are increased ...

DMGUYDZ64 said:

in hard mode it's health and damage are increased ...

Maybe it's because I always play in hard mode but those zaps were pretty much always insta kill IIRC.

Jedi Outcast, playing Jedi Knight difficulty against Desann. I had to try all sorts of dirty tricks, like trying to glitch or crash those pillars on, but I had bad luck trying to do that.

Those reborns with cortosis armor, or shadow troopers, or something along the lines... Would say they were challenging, fights mostly turned into prolonged wild swing-and-miss fights or quick decapitations to either me or to my enemy. Fun times.

Also, Dragon interceptors in Freespace.

There's a final boss in one of the Street Fighter games who was nearly impossible. I could also never beat the final boss in Street Fighter 2 as anyone except Chun Li.

Doom's Cyberdemon is an obvious candidate for hardest monster, but Lobster Men and Bio-Drones from XCom: TFTD are nightmarish opponents on higher difficulty levels, nearly impossible to kill in one shot and Bio-Drones have exceptional reactions, so they often get three shots off if they see you. These aliens are more intelligent, harder to kill and more aggressive on Veteran difficulty upwards. I usually abort if there's a cruise ship mission with these monsters.

For sheer terror, the Tentaculat, also from TFTD, is unmatched in my nightmares. Just one of these can wreak havoc if it gets through. I keep soldiers in groups of three or more and hope to get several reaction shots off if a Tentaculat appears.

Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse have their moments, but for me, Terror From the Deep is the best X-Com game with the most fearsome monsters.

Omega from FFV, and from the same game, ExDeath, all of his battles (except the one you're not supposed to die).