Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Christmas, Winter and Snowy Games

Most every game has a snow level. Super Mario Bros 3, TMNT: The Arcade Game for NES and Donkey Kong Country come to mind. What are some Christmas, Winter and Snowy Games?

Visceral Cleanup: Santa's Rampage DLC
Costume Quest: Winter Wonderland? DLC
Killing Floor: Santa's Moonbase

Cryostasis. Kind of a bioshock/STALKER clone/ripoff. I think it got pretty average reviews but looked cool (no pun intended)

I'm pretty sure that's not irony either. But if there was a pun to get I got it you didn't have to (parentheses) it.

edit: so I can be on-topic: Time Splitters 2 Siberia. Fuck that was a bitch to play on hard mode. So many enemies with AK-47s. They should have placed more zombies but no they had to make it focused on killing the Soviets. Kinda lame I wish there would have been a mini-Doom 3 event happening on that map. There was a lot of snow and wintry conditions. You got to use a sniper rifle and timed mines.

Nomad said:

Cryostasis.

That's the one that I would have suggested. Very cold and wintry. I quite liked it but I found it a bit tiresome after a while and resorted to playing it using a walkthrough to get me through the dull/frustrating sections.

Doom tends to be my December game due to the anniversary, though I do play other games -- for a long time I had a sci-horror tradition (again, because of Doom) and I tended to play the likes of Dead Space and Alien vs Predator at this time of year, as well as World War 2 games for a while.

As for actually Christmas-appropriate games... Batman: Arkham Origins and its Christmastime theme is a recent addition, and probably the only one.

I thought of Snow Bros too, but for the original Nintendo.
Other snow games:
Lost Planet 3? Never played it, but I assume...
Dead Space 3 has an ice planet doesn't it?
South Park games of course

geo said:

I thought of Snow Bros too, but for the original Nintendo.

I actually have a pirate famiclone cart of it, and it's one of the best games I have for those systems. Very good arcade conversion.

There is that level in Crysis were the the whole island freezes up and you have to constantly bring

Spoiler

Prophet to heat sources or he will freeze to death

This gets me to thinking, I'd really love a good Christmas mod for Doom. Not new levels or anything like that, just standard Doom but with a little Christmas flair here and there. You know, snow in outdoor areas, Imps in Santa hats, the occasional Christmas tree in place of an impaled body... nothing that alters gameplay, just something in the spirit of how, back in the day, some DOS games would have special Easter Eggs (to mix our metaphors here) based on the PC's internal clock.

Minecraft modded so most of the world is mostly tundra and taiga biomes.

Hahaha YES, good choice. The game's actually scary in that episode.

If the city maps had made up more of Farewell to Arms that would've been the best episode, though.

Metal Gear Solid took place in a secluded snowy location.

EDIT: Additional games.

Goldeneye for N64 also had some good snow levels

SOF had cool snow levels as well

The Thing, set in Antarctica, for Xbox was great game too.

There's also the snow field in Contra.

Oh yeah, that's another good choice, especially since some of my fondest memories of playing that game have been around Christmas time (like when I first got it.)

It may come as a surprise to some, but Diehard was a Christmas movie. Therefore, the Die Hard Trilogy game is technically a Christmas game. There are also snow levels as well.

Worms World Party "snow" landscape themes will do for me, I might go get the official Worms World Party Christmas DLC and see if I can't get it to work properly.

Doesn't special Christmas stuff happen in RoTT?

If we're just talking about games with snowy levels, quite a few MoHAA maps are set in snowy conditions.