• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vtm

Doom 64 light effect and how to do it in doom 2

I have a doubt whether this is or is not a special light effect in doom 64:

http://imgur.com/SxktBwB

http://imgur.com/BjTN4dr

Look at the walls, the look brighter at bottom and dark in top, and I was wondering if this is an special effect in Doom 64 (I'm using EX), could this be done in ZDoom or GZDoom with a special linedef or action? or do I have to apply that effect on each texture and load them in a wad?

Thanks for the answers.

* It's Colored Lighting :
Colored lighting is an effect in which the colors of things and level geometry within affected sectors will be modified. For best results in ZDoom's software renderer, light colors should be selected from color ranges well represented in the palette, though OpenGL-targetting projects are not limited.
* This is a ZDoom wiki page on how to do it,since it is not possible to do it with Vanilla DOOM
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Colored_lighting

The lighting in Doom 64EX is very effective when done properly, but it can be tricky to get just right. It also takes longer to set up than vanilla Doom's lighting, and I have to say I don't really miss it when vanilla mapping.

The effect in Doom 64 is colored lighting. Specifically, two different colored lightings that affect the walls in a gradient. Doom 64 also features different colored lightings for the floor, the ceiling, and for things in the sector.

ZDoom's colored lighting only supports one color per sector though, using the same for walls, floor, ceiling, and things. So the Doom 64 gradient color effect cannot be replicated by colored lighting alone in ZDoom.

When the floor and ceiling lights differ in Doom 64, it interpolates between the two shades along the walls simply by setting the appropriate vertex colors.

Strife: Veteran Edition does the exact same thing for its wallshade effects. Not coincidental ;)

MaxED said:

This can be achieved using glowing flats in GZDoom

thanks! I really liked the effect and I was curious about it.

And yeah, I did try it first on UDMF, but I know almost nothing of it.

The effect in Doom 64 is colored lighting. Specifically, two different colored lightings that affect the walls in a gradient. Doom 64 also features different colored lightings for the floor, the ceiling, and for things in the sector.

ZDoom's colored lighting only supports one color per sector though, using the same for walls, floor, ceiling, and things. So the Doom 64 gradient color effect cannot be replicated by colored lighting alone in ZDoom.

When the floor and ceiling lights differ in Doom 64, it interpolates between the two shades along the walls simply by setting the appropriate vertex colors.

Well who knows, probably one day ZDoom or GZDoom will be able to handle the effect in the same way.

Strife: Veteran Edition does the exact same thing for its wallshade effects. Not coincidental ;)

I suspected that some of the EX code was implemented in Strife: Veteran Edition, and I saw some screenshots of the game and it looks beautiful; you guys did an excellent job at it, and I'm looking forward to get the game.

Thanks for all the answers again!

vtm said:

Well who knows, probably one day ZDoom or GZDoom will be able to handle the effect in the same way.

There was a branch of ZDoom with some tentative support for Doom 64 in it. I suppose it could be a good idea to get some of its interesting features piecemeal in the master branch instead of waiting for it to be ever resumed and completed.

Doomsday has supported per-vertex lighting with DOOM64 style wall gradients for a number of years now, via XG. It is fully possible to replicate lighting effects like this but as already noted, they can be a pain to set up as they are obviously tied to the underlying geometry (however, this also means that one can use zero-height sectors for both adjustment and animating the gradient effects by moving the planes).