Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

Hades Awaits You

Spike let us know that the first episode of Doom: The Underworld, a 32 level megawad for DOOM 2, is finished and can be found at The Room To The Left. Lengthily called The Underworld - Hades' Curse, this 10-level chapter features new graphics, textures, music, sounds and, of course, 10 maps that take you to hell and back.

FYI, it requires jDoom 1.13 or newer.

I've only played the first 2 maps so far, but this looks really good. I suggest everyone give it a play:

Get jDoom here: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

rtz said:

FYI, it requires jDoom 1.13 or newer.

I've only played the first 2 maps so far, but this looks really good. I suggest everyone give it a play:

Get jDoom here: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Stated VERY clearly in the accompanying uw1.txt file :)

It works just fine for me with Prboom.

I finished it earlier today.. I was impressed by the overall feel of these levels. It set quite a unique atmosphere that stayed consistent throughout the episode. I only had a few small problems with a couple of the levels (for example, don't go to the blue door on map03 without the key, or else you won't be able to go back, as far as I could tell) but otherwise it's a solid episode and worth the download. :)

Crap - trust me to let a few bugs slip thru. ANYWAY... minute problems with map01, map03 and map06 have been fixed, and i'm about to re-upload the lot.

Sorry folks.

Ebola: What ever happened to the next phobia map? I loved the first one...

Spike, why does it need JDoom? is it Extremely detailed or ?
(I have Jdoom, so I'm just wondering)

This is especially interesting to me, as I studied Virgil's "Æneid" (in Latin) at school; in particular, the book concerning the Underworld.

"Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbra perque domos Ditis vacuas inania regna: quale iter est in silvus per incertam lunam sub maligne luce, ubi Iuppiter condidit caelum umbra, et atra nox abstulit colorem rebus." - Virgil, Æneid VI

(in English: "They [Aeneas and the priestess accompanying him to the Underworld] were going in the darkness under a lonely night, through the shadow and through the unoccupied homes of Pluto and his empty kingdoms: a journey such as this can be in the woods by a wavering moon beneath its grudging light, when God has hidden the sky in shadow, and black night has taken the colour away from things." It's much more poetic in Latin.)

Oh no!! F...laming hell!!! It's just cut me off *again*, saying it's done at 320K!!! Arrrrgh! Damn Angelfire to hell!! (I used to have a site there, I know what they're like)

LorD BaZTArD said:

Spike, why does it need JDoom? is it Extremely detailed or ?
(I have Jdoom, so I'm just wondering)

I use Jdoom because...

a)atmospheric dynamic lighting
b)easily customizable DED files
c)it just looks so damn lovely

Well, Jdoom has lighting sources and since these maps are very damn dark, these are necessary to get the full experience - I tried the five-level version of this wad (yes, the first five levels were released before) some time ago. At first I didn't notice that it "required" JDoom, and the result was that I got annoyed as Hell, because I couldn't see a shit (the levels were even darker in that version).
Run it with JDoom - much better for your blood pressure :-P

Heh, i was playtesting one of Jay's levels the other day (map08 - Haunted Shores), i thoroughly shit my pants when i rounded a corner to find enemies i'd ignored at the start of the map.

Yep, atmospheric as hell.

Yeah, I know what JDoom is, so you don't need to tell me about it.
Okay, I might try it, sounds like it could be interesting, JDoom being my favourite port :D

is there a way to get the lighting effects of jdoom without the 3d acceleration, i mean at least withotu the smoothing out, i might be a one out but i find that jdooms smoothed out sprites and all are f00king ugly...

If the 'smoothing' is that much of a pain, then there's two options:

a)somehow disable anti-aliasing (i don't think u can do it thru ddutils.exe)

b)download the jdoom model pack - 3d models for every in-game 'thing' including the HUD weapons. They're damn nice looking, and are comparable to Q1/Q2.

Heh - map08 (mine) and map02 (Jay's) are almost equal in poll votes. Come on people, which is best? :))

My favorite in that wad is map09 and it's in no small part due to the music, but I think I also like it because it's among the least dark levels.

You've just made Jay's day :), map09 being her own cherished creation.