Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NumSkull

a Teams Server - who's interested?..

i just asked lyfe if he'd be inerested in hosting a teams server. he said maybe, so now it's up to nighfang if he'd code it. i thought i'd throw up the idea here and see how many yay's or nay's it got from my fellow fraggers, and see if any improvements could be made to the idea. the idea, is that when you enter this server, it automatically changes your name to either red or blue, and you are also assigned that color. you can't change your name, and you can't change your color. it's locked, or some shit. anyway, code it into the server, prog, or whatever, that if you kill your teammate, your frag pool goes down by 1, making the bfg kind of an iffy thing. whatever. and i suggest that the 2 players on the team share a common frag pool. just seems cooler. maybe make it to where a total of 6 can play = B B vs. R R vs. G G
blue blue vs. red red vs. green green

anyone interested? team games are fun as hell, why has it taken this long to anyone kick up some dust about this idea? this can't be the first time.

Support for teamgames has been there since 0.96

Run the server with -deathmatch and +teamplay 1 (or just set teamplay 1 in the console) and you are good to go.

I believe I used to run a dwango5 map01 team play server on csdoom already like 2 years ago.

Team play has been a feature in zdoom for ages. I remember deathmatching Trey Azagthoth in approximately March-April 2000. We'd each have one or several bots on our teams, sometimes with friendly fire switched on and sometimes off.

In zdoom, I guess there can be more than just 2 teams in a game, but I think csdoom had a limitation like that. Either you were on the RED or the BLUE team. Does zdaemon also have this limitation? Allowing up to 4 teams (or maybe even more) would be a cool feature to add, in that case.

N.C.

Didn't you have to ensure you had set your team colour before joining?
On team (clan) theme, nc_DS is looking to start a war, anyone interested?, he said KFH clan wear ladies underwear just for starters

Teamplay is great. I think zdaemon currently supports two teams. Your name is not altered, but you have to choose red or blue.
Also, a dmflag controls whether "friendly fire" is on or off, meaning you can control whether you can damage teammates or not. (I know most of you already know this, but for others reading......).
I think I'll put up a teamplay server this weekend....rarefiles....to see if it works out.

fodders said:

On team (clan) theme, nc_DS is looking to start a war, anyone interested?, he said KFH clan wear ladies underwear just for starters

hmm....

Ralphis said:

UD OWNS DS (I've never really left DS)

YOU have never really left any clan :)

Did he? Did he really? Or does he secretly sport a Ralphis_HZ tag in empty servers?
On another different note, Cop, was Chewy back playing last night?

Uh, I can hardly remember he had ever played while he claimed himself was in HZ, but I'm sure that I have seen him putting HZ's tag on along with his name when he used to go on Doomserv.

Yes, indeed it was chewy, he's back to Doom :)

OK, I just started up a zdaemon server, -deathmatch and +teamplay 1 with dcdwango. My team, set prior to joining the server, is red. Then, when I join the server, it places me on the blue team. I cannot change teams in the game, and cannot select my team prior to the game.

NF, what's the status of this? Broken? Am I making some mistake?

I love team games. It's a shame you don't see them very often. Someone should start running a Dog Tag server again, only this time set teamplay 1, I don't understand why it wasn't set before. Obviously, from reading the above posts, not many people knew that teamplay existed.

Also, someone should speak to Psychotron about running a server for "Psychotron's Inferno". He invented it and it was great: teamplay was set and you'd have an offence team (red) and a defence team (blue). The offence team had to attempt to kill themselves, either by diving in the lava/acid/whatever or by trying to exit the level (with exits turned off, obviously), but not by killing eachother or by blowing themselves up with a rocket on a wall. This meant that the aim of the the offence team was to get a negative frag count (I think they won if they got -50 frags), whereas the defence team had to get a positive count (they won by getting 50 frags) by killing the offence team. The offence team could frag the defence team to get them out of the way, but this obviously reduced their chance of winning. Who else played it? The only other player I remember was Blue Vengeance.

MaTT, can you comment on my post right above yours? When you played teams on zdaemon, were you able to select your team?

Biffy said:

When you played teams on zdaemon, were you able to select your team?

No, it chooses your team randomly when you connect to the server. However, I found out that if you change your colour, in the zdoom.cfg file (either by editing it or by loading ZDoom or another csDoom/ZDaemon server, changing colour on there, and closing it again), to absolute red or blue, then that would be the team you were on when you joined. And yeah, changing your team in the cfg file doesn't seem to make any difference, just your colour. I think it works, but then again it could have been coincidence.

Doom II Guy said:

Team play, kick ass.

Yep