Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Degree23

Chillax-v9.7.2 Original Maps?

Chillax, as most people know I think, is essentially a bunch of ripped maps with a stupidly high amount of monsters put in virtually impossible-to-survive scenarios and with rarely enough ammo. What I'd like to know is if people know where the original maps come from? After searching around and Googling a bit, I've found where some of them come from, and it looks like some maps may not have been stolen (like Map 30 which spells out the WAD name) but I'd be interested in playing through the original maps to see how the maps were originally intended to be played. If anyone can add to the list below, please do!

Map 1: Phmlspd Map 1
Map 2: Phmlspd Map 2
Map 3: Phmlspd Map 3
Map 4: Phmlspd Map 4
Map 5: Phmlspd Map 5
Map 6: Phmlspd Map 6
Map 7: Phmlspd Map 7
Map 8: Phmlspd Map 8
Map 9: Phmlspd Map 9
Map 10: Phmlspd Map 10
Map 11: Phmlspd Map 11
Map 12: Phmlspd Map 12
Map 13: Phmlspd Map 13
Map 14: Phmlspd Map 14
Map 15: Macabre3 Map 1
Map 16: Macabre3 Map 4
Map 17: Macabre3 Map 32
Map 18: Macabre3 Map 5
Map 19: speed17 Map 5
Map 20: finfer2 Map 1
Map 21: helcv Map 1
Map 22: Doom 64 Level 19
Map 23: Operation Suicide Map 1
Map 24: KMega1 Map 18
Map 25: Doom 64 Level 31
Map 26:
Map 27:
Map 28: Doom 64 Levels 13/17/21 put together, with start area based on this map.
Map 29: Blood Pentagram Map 1
Map 30: The rooms spell "CHILLAX". (See the note below)
Map 31:
Map 32:
Map 33: KMega1 Map 12
Map 34: KMega1 Map 10
Map 35: KMega1 Map 17
Map 36: Scary Mike Map 1
Map 37: Crestfallen Map 1
Map 38: KMega1 Map 11
Map 39:
Map 40:
Map 41:
Map 42: Doom 64 Level 24
Map 43:
Map 44: jthbeta3 Map 22
Map 45: jthbeta3 Map 09
Map 46: Macabre3 Map 4
Map 47: Vile Flesh Map 1&32

MAP30 is an original map with a layout spelling CHILLAX, but each letter is based on a room from a previous map in the WAD.
Some of these are more obvious than others
C = MAP15, though the flesh tunnels in the south of this map are very dark, so this one isn't very noticeable.
H = MAP05, the start area: Many imps attacking through bars
I = MAP24, no perfect match, but seems to resemble this map the most
L1 = MAP25, the long walkways
L2 = MAP28, huge open area at blue key. Easy to miss as this is a much smaller space, but note the wooden plinths with the impaled corpses
A = MAP21, the easternmost section of this map is very similar, even the shape is very similar
X = MAP29, the same dark grey bricks and orange SHAWN textures from the end of that map are here.

Much of this information came Eris Falling's post here, though this thread is linked from a few places so I've put the information into this post.

MAP01 to MAP14: Phmlspd.wad (obscure thing, hard to find)
MAP15 to MAP18: Macabre3.wad (Albeit he did edit the map designs a fair bit, and MAP18 has more details)
MAP19: still trying to find it.
MAP20: finfer2.wad (another obscure hard to find thing, very different from original)
MAP21: helcv.wad
MAP22: Doom 64 "The Spiral"
MAP23 and MAP24: don't know either of these.
MAP25: Doom 64 "In the Void", except without the fog.
MAP26-37: Don't know these.
MAP38: KMega1.wad, Map 11.
MAP39 to MAP43: Don't know these.
MAP44: jthbeta3.wad, Map 22.
MAP45: Not HR2 Map 09, it's actually jthbeta3.wad, Map 09 (which in itself is a reference to HR2 Map 09)
MAP46: Macabre.wad (hard to find)
MAP47: Vile Flesh, Map 01 and Map 32 spliced together.

From https://zandronum.com/forum/archive/index.php?thread-5137.html

There was another thread somewhere but I can't find it.

I believe Map19 is a random GRB map he posted on Wads&Mods a while back. Positive I remember the layout, if nothing else.

I asked GRB about that map but he said he didn't recognise it immediately so it may not be one of his. Thanks anyway though.

Pure Hellspawn said:

one of the levels is off of Sunder's The Cage if I'm not mistaken.

The Cage is a development of Macabre Map 5 I believe, but the Chillax map is from the Macabre version.

Thanks for that list Du Mhan Yhu. I hadn't come across that thread before though I'm not sure how I missed it. I updated the first post though the list is only as complete as the one in Du Mhan Yhu's post. Looks like a chunk of them may be "original" maps then, or one map WADs that are hard to track down unless someone happens to recognise them.

PHML's maps were certainly popular with whoever did this. I wonder how he feels about it? It's guaranteed his maps live forever, even if in infamy!

Chillax started as an edit of phmlspd with hundreds of additional monsters crammed in every room, and more maps tacked on at the end. Phml objected to it keeping the same name his own work, so it was renamed "Chillax" in a rather passive-aggressive compliance move.

MajorRawne said:

That's interesting. It's a shame the difficulty went so far overboard, maybe someone should release a toned down version?

like phmlspd?

MajorRawne said:

That's interesting. It's a shame the difficulty went so far overboard, maybe someone should release a toned down version?

That was sort of the point of me making this thread; to see how many maps we knew the origins of. The original ones are the "toned down" versions.

No, I mean ones that are virtually Chillax difficulty except possible to beat, eg more weapons, amended monster deployment etc. I haven't played any of the originals (yet) so I don't know how hard they are.

MajorRawne said:

No, I mean ones that are virtually Chillax difficulty except possible to beat, eg more weapons, amended monster deployment etc. I haven't played any of the originals (yet) so I don't know how hard they are.

They're better played on coop (survival mode?) with respawning items.

CrazyDoomguy said:

Map 39 is copied from Pepsi Apocalypse.WAD

I think it's the other way around

This level, designed by me, is "Pepsi Apocalypse." It is inspired by Level 39 from Chillax

nvm

I have a more complete list in this post. We did find MAP23 at some point, and I can't find a more up to date version of this list and I've forgotten what it was, heh.
I recall we also found the start area of MAP28 - again I don't remember what it was :(

EDIT: KD dug up this post for 23 and 28 https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1684430
edit 2: oh, it's even in the same thread, rofl

I've updated the first post in this thread with the information in your one Eris. Nice work on finding so many!

Just discovered this wad about a month ago and love it.  There's an Andross monkey-type end boss with an elevator on Level 30 that I couldn't figger out even after a half hour of going up and down that elevator and shooting rockets at his face, just like the end of Doom II.  I signed up for this forum specifically to ask you guys for a hint.  How do I do dis?

I am having trouble playing this wad locally.  I've got chillax-v9.7.3_sf2012_final_xalocin_rev2.wad and chillax-v9.7.2_png_patch.wad and supergun2.wad loaded up nicely (the exact same wads used on the Buddha Fingers server where I play this wad) and it refused to load the fucker.  Any ideas, folks?

I found a version 9.7.4.0 for wad with 67 tracks, but when I downloaded it didn't start. Which version is the latest now?

1 hour ago, Babos said:

I found a version 9.7.4.0 for wad with 67 tracks, but when I downloaded it didn't start. Which version is the latest now?

Version v9.8c is available HERE (Zero Dawn site)

That's nothing, though it's pretty old already, this version also has 73 tracks already giving you very rough playing time congratulations. 1.0 when is it expected?

Thankyou a download-ot.

4 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

There are 73 maps in this bitch now, nice.  Still not enough :P

Only the first 40 maps are from the original author, I don't think adding more maps to this wad by random people should even be allowed, plus these later versions have edits to the original maps that make them play in unintended ways.

^Except most of the maps aren't original anyway.  So really it's just a compilation of maps that people like to play slaughter in.  Maybe there should be some kind of quality control and or order to them as I noticed later ones are sort of disjointed and don't really follow a progression.

All the maps used until people started throwing more maps into the wad allowed for modifications in their txt files, and appart from the phml and gazebo maps the rest of the maps (past map19) are so different from their base maps that they might as well be considered original.

I’ve been looking through the 48’s and there are acquaintances in it, but they’re pretty good. There is also a wad where we start in a small hole every time we start and I guess 35 tracks. With more than 1,000 animals in each orbit, they could be included. Televan with big heads as much as I watched. It also has a 5_ elemental title and 47 tracks, I saw the starting places in the pictures and it would fit smoothly into the hardcore tracks.