Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I decided to replay all the IWADs on UV due to me having nothing to do because of illness.

I think Plutonia and it's MAP15 actually and physically made my illness much more worse.

-

I honestly find it funny when people on that shitstain Facebook page sit there and blindly rag on every FPS game that wasn't made in the 90's or that wasn't made by id.

Like, some of the comments are absolutely backwards and baseless, some the best ones being "Halo Ripped off Doom" (Honestly, I find them somewhat incomparable) and "CoD ripped off Wolfenstein" (That is far fetched).

-

And to top it all off, I decided to replace the sounds of the Revenant with a loud "SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS" sound clip on top of doubling their speed, health and damage.

Plutonia turned from hard into utter ear destruction and an unplayable mess.

I like the concept of MAP21's blue\red key section, but it's so broken, I really want to remake it right now.

mrthejoshmon said:

I think Plutonia and it's MAP15 actually and physically made my illness much more worse.

FUCK. THAT. MAP.

I don't really like Doom 2's Downtown level all that much. Or most of the maps from 20-28...

I don’t actually judge old maps. It’s like in this quote, “The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.” *

It’s kind of easy to look twenty one years back and say, “Yeah, that was wrong, or rushed,” but guys back then didn’t have all this nowadays experience (and tools). Maps like “Barrles o’ Fun,” “Chasm,” or “Icon of Sin” are more exploring of new concepts for me than thouroughly processed executions. Some of them might be examples of what to avoid in mapping, which is also valuable. Sometimes I got an impression that “Doom” was released yesterday.

Always loved Map19 - I remember being immensely impressed by it's vast and spacious architecture.
The battles in Coop were epic and I like the secrets too... it's a twisted map which I couldn't finish when I started out with Doom2.

Map21/Nirvana is an interesting level, aggressively simplistic and the "non blocking" bars are hilarious although I probably never noticed that during the early days. The cave area is "colorful"... let's leave it at that.

The Doom2 levels that showed what the future would bring were definitely made my McGee - he had style, skill and talent.

Many people like to shit all over Sandy's work and are quick to forget a few things...
-during that era Doom was still something new and exciting
-DoomEd had no 3d preview + startup times were hefty
-Sandy said himself that the visual styling didn't come naturally to him and he had to try a lot
-Sandy did all the filler work and probably had to take care of stuff that Romero should have done
-his work is still way above the mass of garbage that was called user made maps during that era
-mapping as a kid and mapping as employee are two different things... deadline means deadline... you better deliver or... leave.

_bruce_ said:

Many people like to shit all over Sandy's work and are quick to forget a few things...
-during that era Doom was still something new and exciting
-DoomEd had no 3d preview + startup times were hefty
-Sandy said himself that the visual styling didn't come naturally to him and he had to try a lot
-Sandy did all the filler work and probably had to take care of stuff that Romero should have done
-his work is still way above the mass of garbage that was called user made maps during that era
-mapping as a kid and mapping as employee are two different things... deadline means deadline... you better deliver or... leave.

All of your points are true - and I still think that many of his maps are ugly and weird and sometimes uncomfortable to play, when I look at them today. Some of them are also inventive and surrealistically charming, though. Back then, the standards were different of course, in fact there were no standards at all, because Doom maps were basically the first of their kind. It's as Krazov quoted in the post above - the past is different from this day, and it's uneasy to see things the same way as it used to be. To make my life easier, I tend to judge things from my current perspective "by default".

Just realised I've played all of Doom2, Plutonia, TNT and Doom64 levels with pistol starts.. but not Ultimate Doom, not even the first episode.

Nirvana is a pretty fun little level, didn't even notice half of the level is just square rooms. Map19 is a bit bland, boring looking, but not too difficult to get around after you've checked the map in a level editor... or if you just happened to find the secrets on the first time.

Jimi said:

Map19 is a bit bland, boring looking, but not too difficult to get around after you've checked the map in a level editor... or if you just happened to find the secrets on the first time.

That's what I call a cold comfort. :)

mrthejoshmon said:

And to top it all off, I decided to replace the sounds of the Revenant with a loud "SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS" sound clip on top of doubling their speed, health and damage.

Plutonia turned from hard into utter ear destruction and an unplayable mess.

You sure had a lot of time. :D A Revenant with the health of 600 and damage of 160 is vicious left alone.

I think I stopped using Skulltag/Zandronum after reaching the stairway secret in E1M3 only for a booming voice to suddenly scream "SOUL SPHEEERE!" after I grabbed said powerup.

It scared the living hell out of me.

Guest Unregistered account
Jaxxoon R said:

I think I stopped using Skulltag/Zandronum after reaching the stairway secret in E1M3 only for a booming voice to suddenly scream "SOUL SPHEEERE!" after I grabbed said powerup.

It scared the living hell out of me.

HA HA HA XD

You can actually turn the announcers off, but I agree that the two included really suck, especially the 90's ad guy.

the_miano said:

I'm tired of people talking about Brutal Doom.

Aye.

Well, so long as the kiddies that play it take the initiative to check out DooM proper, I don't mind as much.

the_miano said:

I'm tired of people talking about Brutal Doom.

Me too.

Funny thing, with these all emotions about Brutal Doom. As much as I appreciate the idea, I don’t necesseray like the execution. I tried it once and it didn’t stick. I guess, I don’t like altering a gameplay that much.

I played it pretty incessantly for awhile, but got tired of the endless imbalances and immature tone, the three most damning things being 1) the fact that blood soaked walls may block a switch from view, 2) the overpowered enemies making some maps nearly or completely impossible to play, and 3) the total lack of normalized audio levels. I find myself using Beautiful Doom and Enhanced doom instead.

GoatLord said:

1) the fact that blood soaked walls may block a switch from view

I guess it's still better than blocking the switch from reach. Besides, when playing a brand new PWAD or just an IWAD level which you haven't tried yet, you oughtta do it with a not-that-so-specific port first.

I'm rusty on ZDoom features, but isn't there a way Brutal Doom could specify that switch textures shouldn't get blood decals?

I want to write the WOOO 2 review for the /Newstuff Chronicles seeing as I've already played throughout the entire wad and am the leading expert on the entire unholy series. Also the_miano has relinquished his claim on the right to review it.

But as having never done such a thing such as writing for /Newstuff before, I'm wondering if anyone would give some advice?

Jaxxoon R said:

But as having never done such a thing such as writing for /Newstuff before, I'm wondering if anyone would give some advice?

Don't say anything interesting, for god's sake don't say anything interesting.

Make your review utter boring shit, it will fit in perfectly with the theme of WOOO 2.

I intensely dislike "romp" style level themes, like the music for MAP23.

Ironically, it oftentimes seems to coincide with the most challenging, and in the end frustrating stages from a gameplay standpoint.

Diamhea said:

I intensely dislike "romp" style level themes, like the music for MAP23.

What do you mean by romp?

A thought continues to amuse me.

If DooM 4 is good, that means that there'll be a huge influx of kids a few years after its release telling the same story of "wow there were doom games before the new one they look like minecraft lol cool".

And the only reason they'll make it past the image capcha is because the new monster redesigns reasonably resemble the classic ones.

And the community will likely be further divided between D4 modding (if it has the capability) and classic modding.

Of course, it's a brief "what if?" thought.

I have a gut feeling that Doom 4 isn't going to attract a large influx of kids into the community.

I'm okay with that. Though I'm okay with an influx of kids, too, they can't be more obnoxious than Brutal Doom groupies.