Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Visualize Blocks-Sound division map?

Is there any utility which shows me how the map is divided by walls and Blocks-Sound lines? Something like a territory map, which colours sectors from the same sound area the same, for example. I'd like to use it to verify that I placed the Blocks-Sound linedef flag properly and there are no leaks.

I've never heard of such a thing, but that would be a good idea - like a "sound flood fill" tool where you click on a sector and it shows you everywhere a sound in that sector will reach.

Would it be possible to add RMB style effects through a Doom Builder plugin? There isn't a Windows version of RMB

I really like this idea. Sometimes its easy to break your sound blocking lines without realizing it, and troubleshooting where the sound is coming from can be a pain. A DB2 plugin would be fantastic :)

Started to work on the addon. Works pretty good so far.

Szymanski said:

Would it be possible to add RMB style effects through a Doom Builder
plugin? There isn't a Windows version of RMB

DB2 completely relies on external tools for compilation of nodes, blockmap and reject. So no, that's not possible with a plugin. At least not easily (I can think of an ugly way, but that's include creating a reject builder or modifying on of the existing ones).

It's too bad it's not possible to store, like, a sparse reject table that only included any custom edits you wanted to make. I guess you could make a custom REJECT2 lump or something and then make a new version of ZenNode that generated a reject map and applied the changes in the lump.

edit: god I was just looking at the manual for RMB. Was there a single WAD, ever, that used half of those advanced options?

I present to you: Sound Propagation Mode. Seems to work correctly so far. No download yet.

Colors:

• Green: currently highlighted sector
  • Yellow: sector the sounds propagate to without a problem
  • Red: sectors behind a sound blocking line (sound will not travel further if another sound blocking line is encountered)
Some creenshots:

Starting sector highlighted.

First hallway highlighted.

Second hallway highlighted.

Second hallway highlighted, but with the door to the outdoor secret opened.

It's kind of funny how sector 1 has a line in the middle (linedef 190) that's apparently only there for the block sound flag, but is completely useless because it's still only one sector.

Linguica said:

It's too bad it's not possible to store, like, a sparse reject table that only included any custom edits you wanted to make. I guess you could make a custom REJECT2 lump or something and then make a new version of ZenNode that generated a reject map and applied the changes in the lump.

You could create a DB plugin that creates a config file to supply a reject builder with the desired information. I don't think plugins have the power to actually modify lumps in a WAD.

Awesome, boris! I suppose that the highlight doesn't glow. I'd prefer if it did, or showed a distinct solid colour (similarly to what the Visplane Explorer does), because this translucent colored highlight might be misleading on some floor textures. Maybe it'd look even weirder, though... Maybe there would be an option to toggle highlight modes, but I might be asking too much. Anyway, can't wait for a download. :)

Thank you boris! I wonder if you could also implement an unclosed blocks-sound linedef detection? Its only caveat would be that it can be dynamic, i.e. such unclosed lines can be adjoined by doors that will close during the game, thus becoming closed and effective.

scifista42 said:

because this translucent colored highlight might be misleading on some floor textures

just switch to wireframe mode when using it.