Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oronra

Doom graphics

Hey there,

I can't find the right answer on the internet, so I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out.

I'm developing a game for the android platform. It's gonna be a shooter. I found sprite sheets of the first doom that I could use for my game.

Does anyone know if these graphics are free to use. Or that I can use it and give credits for the creator.

I tried to get in contact with the developers, but I don't get answers from them.

Hope that someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Oronra said:

Hey there,

Evening.

Oronra said:

I can't find the right answer on the internet, so I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out.

Considering this is still the internet, I find this statement rather paradoxical, and this conversation to be off to a bad start already.
No matter! We shall press on!

Oronra said:

I'm developing a game for the android platform. It's gonna be a shooter. I found sprite sheets of the first doom that I could use for my game.

You do realise Doom is still a licensed property owned by Bethesda, right? Those sprites aren't public domain in the slightest.
One would think that if you're making a game for a marketplace, you should know how this legal stuff works... right?

Oronra said:

Does anyone know if these graphics are free to use.

Well that answers my previous question. No, of course you cannot.

Oronra said:

Or that I can use it and give credits for the creator.

Again, no.

Oronra said:

I tried to get in contact with the developers, but I don't get answers from them.

This comes to no surprise, considering your lack of experience with dealing with this sort of thing.

Oronra said:

Hope that someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

You will find no help, other than "no, you absolutely cannot do this".

Good day, sir.

Edward850 said:

You will find no help, other than "no, you absolutely cannot do this".

Thanks for helping me out.

Freedoom is freely-licensed material you can use to base your game on. It's under a 3-clause BSD license, which pretty much sums up to "give credit" :P

DMGUYDZ64 said:

anyways since you're asking ,can i ask if it's legal to use Prototype sprites ?

In a game that's destined for an App Store, probably not. Even prototype content is subject to copyright, so I'd check the license terms (if any) to see what's permitted.

Why not create your own graphics and (in the process) actually create a game you can call your own?

Guest Unregistered account

Grazza just replied...

So has this thread ended?

Joe667 said:

So has this thread ended?

Sun hasn't gone supernova, so maybe not. Though it looks like the OP's questions have been answered.

All the above being said....there have been and still are a lot of unlicensed uses of the Doom graphics and other resources in Flash, Javascript, mobile etc. games that went mostly under the radar...except for when they didn't. This shouldn't be taken as an encouragement to do the same.

On the top of my mind, there is Doom 2D (a 2D platformer) and two different Doom-themed RTS which use Doom resources. I'm not sure how they all get around the resource licensing problem, but at least the most recent Doom RTS requires the user to supply the IWADs and extracts the needed resources from there, to avoid distribution problems.

chungy said:

Freedoom is freely-licensed material you can use to base your game on. It's under a 3-clause BSD license, which pretty much sums up to "give credit" :P

Thanks for pointing this one out. Gonna check it out for sure.

RUSH said:

Why not create your own graphics and (in the process) actually create a game you can call your own?

Because coding and drawing are 2 very different things. I can't do both on my own.

I deffinately don't wanna steal someones hard work, so if I'm not allowed to use it I simply won't. I saw some games on the markted that used graphics from doom but it didn't feel okay for me to do the same without getting permission.

You guys, atleast some of you, helped me out. Thanks!