Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Classic Doom monsters Vs the Doom 3 ones

geekmarine said:

I personally preferred the original design of the trite to the final version. I thought it was far creepier when the head was more human-like than with the insect eyes the final version had.

Are you talking about this (whatever it is), or just D3's Tick monsters? (Here is a standard D3's Trite for comparison.)

scifista42 said:

Are you talking about [url=http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/doom3_enemies_07.jpg]

Was that a screenshot from the demo ?
Either my memory is playing tricks on me or i remember seeing those a lot in some kind of elevator room... and promotional art for the stencil shadows.

I much prefer the look of the classic monsters. Doom 3's looked a little too alien-ish for me, which is odd considering I love H.R. Giger's artwork. Something about the goat-horned pentagram hellish feeling of the originals is awesome and irreplaceable. They're also more colorful and interesting.

scifista42 said:

Are you talking about this (whatever it is), or just D3's Tick monsters? (Here is a standard D3's Trite for comparison.)

Yeah, I'm talking about the first one, the one from the promotional materials. I thought it looked like a really cool design, but then they went for the most insect-like one for the final game.

geekmarine said:

Yeah, I'm talking about the first one, the one from the promotional materials. I thought it looked like a really cool design, but then they went for the most insect-like one for the final game.

that must have been it. The first on has this "the thing" feel to it.

I like the classic lost soul better. Doom 3 lost soul looks like a female humanoid that lost her head working on a car or something.

Holering said:

I like the classic lost soul better. Doom 3 lost soul looks like a female humanoid that lost her head working on a car or something.

heh, that's exactly what happens to poor theresa when you meet her. without the car.

to sum it up: classic doom monsters = biblical devils with goat legs and horns, and doom3 mosters = more alien-styled designs, especially those with several eyes (imp). tbh i'd like the less cartoony, more realistic approach of doom3 if there was more color and variation. however, they blend all too well into an environment of steel and rust.

Keep in mind that the Goal of DOOM3 isn't Re-creating previous DOOM Games,it's just a continuation for the Franchise so you don't really expect 100% Carbon copy of Classic DOOM

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Keep in mind that the Goal of DOOM3 isn't Re-creating previous DOOM Games,it's just a continuation for the Franchise so you don't really expect 100% Carbon copy of Classic DOOM

The game isn't a continuation, it's a reboot. And speaking of reboots, I wonder how soon next year we will get to see stuff from Doom 4.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Whatever it is, we all know now that it isn't a recreation >_< ..

We do? The teaser trailer looked like this is going to be another remake of the first game.

Pirx said:

heh, that's exactly what happens to poor theresa when you meet her. without the car.

Dont forget about that guy on the ceiling!

Like many people I was not a fan of the over all design of the demons in DooM 3, apart from the more classics looking ones( Arch-Viles and Revenant)The Hellknights where pretty cool, though I liked the "Hell" version more.

I think it's hard to make a direct comparison. Doom 3's monsters worked well with their environment, for the most part. The one that looked the most like it's classic counterpart, the revenant, really just looked silly and out of place with Doom 3's level design and stuck out like a sore thumb if it was around other monsters. It looks cool yes, but it stands out drastically from the rest of the game to me. I don't really know what else they could have done with it, but if I was in charge I would have sent them back to the drawing board. Maybe they tried that and they just couldn't come up with anything better. Look at the cacodemon. I can't imagine the team sitting in a room looking at that and giving the OK on that final design. It's awful and not reminiscent of the original at all except that they both fly. But maybe they tried making it close to the original and it just looked silly like the revenant does and someone made the call to overhaul the design. As much as I hate it, it doesn't break the immersion the way the cartoon skeleton does.

To answer the question though, overall I think I prefer the classic monsters for reasons already mentioned, there's just more variety and color. There's some good D3 designs, but overall the originals are more interesting to me.

Demon,Cacodemon,Pain Elemental, IMP,those are silliest monsters i've seen in DOOM so far,but they're creepier on DOOM3 ....

I don't like the way ANY of the creatures look in Doom 3.... They just don't look demonic, anymore, only alien. This game just doesn't have the same feel to it that Doom should have. the creatures just don't look like they stepped out of a gateway to hell- a world of fire and brimstone, they look more like they either came from a world of dark cold wastelands/ underground caverns, or some Dr. Frankenstein-ish mad scientist's cyber/biotechnology lab.

The imps looked better- more demonic, when they had horns and spike and they would look you in the face and scowl, it made them look mean. Now, they just look like ugly 8 eyed spidermen. :(

The old Pinkies were better too. when they ran up to you and started biting you, you could see the the intent in their eyes. You knew that they were just hungry beast they were attacking you, because they were MEAN and wanted to mutilate you! With these new 4 legged one, you and even see their eyes, they look like some dumb blind animal with a butt, or a brain for a face... Their teeth aren't even sharp any more, they look human...

In the old Doom, they deliberately made the monsters look like DEMONS from HELL. They made seem like these monster were literally from HEll, and although they may not have actually been demons from the christian Bible and personally opposed God, all the tales that were told of Hell, a place of fiery torment inhabited by terrible beings of great violence and cruelty, literally evil, were in fact true and they were all about them and their world!... Doom 3 just doesn't have that anymore... Instead it's just plain creepy... creepy, but not hellish.

I really don't like this and since I like to play games in chronological order, it's going to be even worse for me, when I beet Doom 3 and then have to move on to the older games. I also feel that the Classic Doom mod will ruin the classic Doom games... Has anybody ever mad a mod that makes the monsters in Doom 3 look like they used to in the classic games?

hardcore_gamer said:

The game isn't a continuation, it's a reboot. And speaking of reboots, I wonder how soon next year we will get to see stuff from Doom 4.

Actually, it's not exacty a reboot, either, it's supposed to be more of a prequil, taking place right before the original game, as a revised version of the original beginning story of the first game. Which would tecnically make it to where Doom 3 is actually Doom 1, Doom is now Doom 2, and Doom II is now Doom 3' and now either Doom 64 is Doom 5 and the final chapter in the series with Bethesda's upcoming Doom as Doom 4, Or Doom 64 as the final Doom 4 and Bethesda's Doom is a reboot.

iratecelt said:

Actually, it's not exacty a reboot, either, it's supposed to be more of a prequil, taking place right before the original game, as a revised version of the original beginning story of the first game.

No.

iratecelt said:

since I like to play games in chronological order, it's going to be even worse for me, when I beet Doom 3 and then have to move on to the older games. [...] Actually, it's [Doom 3] not exacty a reboot, either, it's supposed to be more of a prequil, taking place right before the original game, as a revised version of the original beginning story of the first game. Which would tecnically make it to where Doom 3 is actually Doom 1, Doom is now Doom 2, and Doom II is now Doom 3' and now either Doom 64 is Doom 5 and the final chapter in the series with Bethesda's upcoming Doom as Doom 4, Or Doom 64 as the final Doom 4 and Bethesda's Doom is a reboot.

Where did you take this bullshit from? Doom 3 is not a prequel, it's a re-imagining of the classic Doom.

scifista42 said:

Where did you take this bullshit from? Doom 3 is not a prequel, it's a re-imagining of the classic Doom.

Then answer this.. Why are some of the more important monsters from the classic Doom missing? Where is the Arachnotron mastermind? Why is the BFG9000 well known in the Classic and brand spanking new in Doom 3? And why do you keep running into live and sane people? In the classic Doom, YOU are supposed to be the last living human on Mars, from the very start. There's no one left. You have Basically, resigned your self to to death and accepted that you are going to die up there, but you have also decided to kill as many of these monsters as you possibly can, before you do. In the end, you actually manage to take them all out, or so you think, and find a way back to earth, only to find that Earth has been invaded. Doom 3 doesn't end that way. I hear that it ends with reinforcements arrive, and proceed to storm the facility, while you remain outside. You're still stuck on Mars (or one of it's moons, not sure which) The marines are storming the facility, and you are left outside, and you never make it back to Earth.... Doom 3 ends right where the classic Doom starts up.

If Doom 3 really is a re-imagining, then I'm going to be really pissed as I just bought it and Doom didn't need to be re-imagined. It was fine, the way it was. It was demonic. It was horrible. it was fun. It had demons, actual DEMONS, and Devils too, like the Baron. It had a Hell with fire, heads and bodies impaled on pikes, and torsos chained to walls, indicating that people were tortured to death. There were skull switches, skull pillars, buildings and structures built out of human bone that indicated that these things have been plaguing Man for countless ages, with pentagrammic architecture.

I look at these so-called "imps" and "Pinkies" and other creatures in Doom 3 and I fucking hate the people who designed them. These are not demons, they are aliens... They remind me of the Shadows and Drakh from Babylon 5. And, what the fuck are these two headed jumping things? they better not be the baron or hell Knights... >:( This game is fun, if it stands on it's own, but it is not worthy of the name of Doom. Doom was demonic and hellish, this is just morbid and creepy. As a part of the Doom series, I flat out reject it, I can't believe I actually Bought this piece of shit, when I could of just downloaded the classic games for free! (And this is the BFG9000 edition) If what you say is actually true and not misinformation, then it's no wonder I got this thing so cheap. (still had to pay for it, though. It's not even worth a penny, if it doesn't even hold a candle to the original) Again has any body made a mod to make these monster look like the classics?

Also, if your claim that it IS infact a re-imagining comes from an so-called official source, I have a bit of advice for you... Don't listen to those who never even had a hand in the making of a game, even if they do work for the company who made the game, that's how the Darkstalkers and Castlevania series got fucked up.

iratecelt said:

Arachnotron mastermind

Who.

iratecelt said:

In the classic Doom, YOU are supposed to be the last living human on Mars, from the very start.

What.

Stopped reading after that sentence.

iratecelt said:

Then answer this.. Why are some of the more important monsters from the classic Doom missing? Where is the Arachnotron mastermind?

What about revenants and mancubi in D3? What about all the other D3-specific monsters?

The marines are storming the facility, and you are left outside, and you never make it back to Earth.... Doom 3 ends right where the classic Doom starts up.

Doom 3's end story doesn't match the entire classic Doom story at all. That's why it can't be a prequel.

If Doom 3 really is a re-imagining, then I'm going to be really pissed as I just bought it and Doom didn't need to be re-imagined.

I look at these so-called "imps" and "Pinkies" and other creatures in Doom 3 and I fucking hate the people who designed them. These are not demons, they are aliens...

This game is fun, if it stands on it's own, but it is not worthy of the name of Doom. As a part of the Doom series, I flat out reject it, I can't believe I actually Bought this piece of shit,

Alright, it's a legit opinion that you can have - but didn't you just contradict your earlier statements about taking the game as a prequel?

I could of just downloaded the classic games for free!

Not legally. They're still being sold as commercial games.

Again has any body made a mod to make these monster look like the classics?

"Classic Doom 3" has reskinned monsters, that's about it. Doom Ascension (a classic Doom addon) had 3D models of Doom monsters, but I'm unsure if they were ever released.

If what you say is actually true and not misinformation, then it's no wonder I got this thing so cheap. (still had to pay for it, though. It's not even worth a penny, if it doesn't even hold a candle to the original)

Also, if your claim that it IS infact a re-imagining comes from an so-called official source, I have a bit of advice for you... Don't listen to those who never even had a hand in the making of a game, even if they do work for the company who made the game, that's how the Darkstalkers and Castlevania series got fucked up.

Welcome to Doomworld.

Paraphrased from Marty Stratton:

While id isn't planning on giving away the entire plot of the game anytime soon, Stratton did give us a few ofthe basics: DOOM III is basically a "retelling" of the original DOOM, with many of the same characters and themes, and even some returning weapons. Most of the game is set on Mars, where you're a marine recently stationed at the Union Aerospace Corporation, a company with strong military ties doing experimentation with teleportation technology. It seems a few people at the UAC don't exactly have everyone's best interests at heart, and after a betrayal, things quickly descend into chaos, with members of the facility being possessed and turned into zombies. This is where you come in -- as one quote from the demonstration put it, "only one man stands between hell and earth... you."

(emphasis added)

Da Werecat said:

Who.

What.

Stopped reading after that sentence.

1. The big spider demon with robotic legs and lava canons at the end of the Classic Doom. When it returns in larger numbers, in Doom 64, it is identified as Arachnotron.

2. Was that even worth saying? Or, are you drying to be a dick? I can't tell...

iratecelt said:

Where is the Arachnotron mastermind?

They wouldn't fit in Doom 3's hallways.