Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Elite: Dangerous - Space is real big

Never played a space-sim before. But now that I am branch out to new genres of games, this did pop up on my radar. So I might give a shot. But, given all the issues so many people have had just getting it installed, it's probably going to be a while.

Fulgrim said:

But, given all the issues so many people have had just getting it installed, it's probably going to be a while.

That's odd. I've installed this on two computers with two very different specs and both worked fine.

Fulgrim said:

SpectreSoundGaben

Ha! I didn't expect to see him here lol. I'm subscribed to that guy because of his awesome metal recording tutorials.

Haven't played it yet, but it looks really nice. I'd like to try it on Oculus Rift, as it seems like pretty much the perfect game for the Rift.

For whatever reason, I'm not really excited by the revival of the space combat sims. This kind of puzzles me seeing that I may have played as much Tie-Fighter as I've played Doom. Currently I'm playing through X-Wing Alliance. Maybe if someone made a proper new X-Wing/Tie-Fighter game I'd get excited. Would be an interesting project actually.

Either way, I'll definitely have to try some of the new spacesims one day.

I find it hard to get excited because modern space sims are either mulitplayer focused or free roaming X3 type games. I want carefully built missions based campaigns like the 90's. Surely there's a market for those?

That said, if I still had a disposable income I'd be getting me some Elite: Dangerous and an Oculus Rift (when a retail model finally get's made).

I think that may be what turns me off as well.
They are either multiplayer focused (Star Citizen) or multiplayer masquarading as single player (Limit Theory). The unlimited possibilities and infinite (very big, procedurally generated) universe is fun to write code for, but at the end of the day it will feel like a lazy cop-out compared to a carefully executed single player campaign that combines freedom and direction.

I keep imagining a star wars space sim that's set in a big "playground" with lots of open world goodness, but ultimately at its core being a game with directed, top notch storytelling with all its character/sw lore driven awesomeness.

Doominator2 said:

Wait is this Elite 4!?

Yes.

I've heard that it's got some significant bugs, though, which is sad because it does look like it scratches a few of those itches I've had for a good, immersive space sim.

I mentioned Limit Theory further up. Here's a link to the development videos. It has been a real treat to follow the progression of his rendering technology. The user interface and underlying procedural tech (which is behind pretty much everything) especially. I don't see much of a game in it though. Definitely worth checking out if you like pretty nebulae rendering ;)