Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bedlam [uploaded to the archive]

Yellow key was missing on easy, I already fixed this in the version I mean to upload (now I just need the name of e3m3). I can make the cwilv graphics myself with that bitmap font writer program if you don't mind?

I don't think I ever had a name in mind for e3m3... which is kinda strange, since I love map names so much. Although I didn't even have a unified idea or a theme when I made it. Maybe something generic like "Dread Caverns" or something? Actually, none of the versions I have include custom map names, what are the other names? I'll try to think of something, if I can't manage to come up with anything satisfactory by the time I get to work tomorrow I'll just say so and leave it to your discretion, like I did with the music for the map.

maplist:
e3m1 - Memfis
e3m2 - Memfis
e3m3 - Antroid
e3m4 - De Torture - C30N9
e3m5 - Twisted Monastery - NoneeLlama
e3m6 - Caco's Cauldron - purist
e3m7 - Lodestone Keep - Dragonsbrethren
e3m8 - Devilish Project - Memfis (starting area and small part of the castle) and Sokoro (everything else)
e3m9 - Cursed Mirror - Memfis' e3m1 modified by Sokoro

so only rus guys didn't come up with the names yet :)

Okay just make it Dread Caverns then. I dunno why that came to mind immidiately but what the hell. I also have no idea if it sounds stupid or not, but with some of these names that seems fitting :)

E3M1: Lost gateway <the quietness of the map kinda makes it feel like an ignoble area of hell that's not visited often, so it's been abandoned or forgotten or something.

E3M2: Dying quarters <map kinda resembles living quarters, so have a half-jokish name :P I figures it'd be appropriate for a hell map though.

E3M3: Buried tombs <there's a lot of this map that kinda feels like catacombs that were lost in an earthquake or something. The kind of place you'd have to dig to find.

Feel free to use this or not. I'm sure there's plenty of acceptable substitutes heh

Marcaek said:

E3M3: Buried tombs <there's a lot of this map that kinda feels like catacombs that were lost in an earthquake or something. The kind of place you'd have to dig to find.

That's pretty interesting, although I didn't intend it to be tombs/catacombs, just generic castly-temply-dungeony stuff, this interpretation is neat. Memfis, feel free to pick whichever one you like more.

I'm not particularly sure if you care / want anyone doing a full playthrough, but here's some FDAs of the wad so far (recorded in doom.exe) I couldn't finish all the maps, and I can't remember a specific bullet pointed list for all of them, so I'll give you some general thoughts:

- If there's going to be that many Barons in the wad, for heavens sakes, put more ammo in it. Most of the them weren't really all that threatening, the stuff around them was. They really didn't do much else except get me to waste ammo. A lot of the gameplay consists of me encountering a lot of enemies, running from or skipping them outright, and maybe shooting them if they get in my way later.

- There's no demo for E3M6 because the map crashed out with R_FindPlane: no more visplanes. It occurred in the big histscanner area early on in the map, after I opened the first red door.

- The damaging floors is extremely inconsistent; in at least two maps, animated blood does no damage, while in others it hits for at least 10%.

- E3M5's music was really loud, I'm pretty sure it got to the point in which I was scrambling for the exit because my ears were beginning to burn.

- As far as I could tell, you're completely hosed if you get to the Spiderdemon and aren't packing enough firepower?

I thought the wad kinda okay, the levels were pretty and I saw no mapping errors apart from the visplane overflow on e3m6. I don't think I'm too big of fan of wads that make you constantly scrounge for ammo, especially when it's always throwing Barons in your face. After about the umpteenth big encounter and only having meager firepower, it started to grate on me after a while. While I did encounter some heavier weaponry in most of the levels, I never really felt like I could use it.

yea I might improve my map and add more ammo for coop, or even some for singleplayer and remove/replace some of the barons...

Yes, if you run out of ammo in that last area then you are doomed, you can not reach the spider mastermind and chainsaw it to death... but chainsawing spider mastermind or even fisting it is for doom gods , so I do not see a problem in that. (there is a way through lava to teleport back from the last arena, but it is going to cost you a lot of life)

By the way, in doom2 map30 you can run out of rockets and then you are doomed too, it is nothing new.

You should not run out of ammunition on my map anyway, I tested in in chocolate doom on UV, pistol start, without secrets and I was able to beat the map. Some ammo is little hidden, not in secrets, but also not in plain sight. I thought that would be cool element of the map, instead of throwing the ammo in middle of halways.

When I played the whole episode on Hurt Me Plenty, then I had so much of ammo, that my last map was not challenge at all. I blame previous maps.. especialy e3m7 (might be e3m6, cant recall) for having too much of ammo on HMP. not sure about the other difficulties on the other maps, I tested completly only my maps.

Also many people whined that the spider mastermind fight was too easy in previous versions, that is why I did this dickish lava arena for the final fight.
Now you are saying it is too hard, you people do not really know what you want, that is why I am going to create maps so that I enjoy them, without much caring about other people's opinions, unless they provide some helpfull tips how to improve things.

Also note that the e3m8 and e3m9 are my first ever finished maps, so you can not expect flawless experience. I still did my best and tried to make the maps fun and interesting.

Blood floors.... well I know that 20% is default damage for lava, while 10% is for blood and 5% is for toxic waste.. and I am using these values, except the blood.
That is because I use blood as hell variation for blue water floor, just a decorative thing that does not hurt.
In real life you can take a bath in tube full of blood, bones and body parts, or even dead body of some.. ermmmm.. just wanted to say that blood does not damage you in real life, unless you drink it a lot. And doomguy is even wearing protective space suit! Lava and toxic who-knows-what on other hand, that hurts.
So maybe other mappers should make blood non-damaging as well? I do not even remember it being used in other maps.

"running from or skipping them outright, and maybe shooting them if they get in my way later."

You are most likely not talking about my map, because from what I saw in other people's demos, my map is very speedrun unfriendly, at least in some parts. Maybe you should play slaughter maps?

Honestly, I thought the spider arena was alright. Maybe put some medkits\stimpacks down on easier difficulty settings if people want an easier fight.

BlueFeena said:

I'm not particularly sure if you care / want anyone doing a full playthrough, but here's some FDAs of the wad so far (recorded in doom.exe)

Thanks a bunch specifically for the demo of my map. I'm not too used to seeing other people play my maps yet so it's always great fun. I gotta say it's pretty satisfying to see your map working the way you intended (in my case, some space for monsters to roam and nearly always having the player with worryingly little ammo). It's a pity you didn't explore all of it, but oh well. There was a very funny bit where you pressed three walls of fire in that one red cavern, but didn't press any more, in particular one that would come next if you continued your pattern - which is also the one that's visually different from the rest (not animated) and contains a secret.

I'm also glad that I don't feel this map is a disappointment - my first attempt at vanilla and first ever released map and surprisingly enough I still like it and enjoy the atmosphere, despite that usually not being the case with things I make (maybe because I haven't seen it in a while and it's another person playing).

Also, I think barons are perfect for this role of something you can't be arsed to spend ammo on so you begrudgingly allow it to roam the map with you, still being very dangerous should you slip up, but generally manageable, and able to sneak up on you since you might even forget one was active.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1624692012BFD398!125&authkey=!AJWrcXSaGOg-d0A&ithint=file%2c.wad

new version of map e3m8.
-I replaced some barons with different monsters
-added another teleport ambush to spice it up.
-added three rocket packs
-added some stimpacks and rockets on the moving stones in spider mastermind arena
-added a many packs of multiplayer only ammo (We did not have enought of ammo when playing the map in coop with my friend, not sure if you lose all ammo on death in coop or if my friend just wasted lot of it)

Please, finish, and release this wad, I played all maps, and they are really of quality. I hope that we are finally going to have a idgames link. :)

I've been holding off with uploading anything to idgames for a while due to its rather sad state (trolls being allowed to do whatever they want). Now something is finally being done about this so even though I don't really like how Ty is handling it, I might upload Bedlam along with other stuff I made as a sign of appreciation or something... The question is will I be able to conquer my laziness and fill the textfiles.

OKAY BOYS. I uploaded this thing to the archive, we will be famous soon! :D Expect a link in a few days I guess. Please email me immediately if I included an outdated version or something.

posted my review. this was a very pleasant surprise. i wish episode collabs happened more often; there's a nice range of ideas coming from a variety of authors which helps the gameplay from getting stale, often a problem with doom eps, let alone megawads.

Nice review kmxexii, I'm glad you enjoyed it and I agree it would be cool to see collab episodes more often.

I found two blue keys on E3M6. One is right under the sergeant on the lowering platform near the normal exit, other one - on the southeast side of the map.

I did that on purpose for non-linearity. You don't often see more than 1 of the same key in a level.