Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mdmenzel

Video Playthroughs linked at http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

For each .zip file on http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ there is a ratings section. Since video Playthroughs have become quite common and have kind of eclipsed .lmps, could the maintainers of the http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ add a section, perhaps below the reviews section that allows people with valid DooomWorld forums accounts (ideally video content creators) to submit video links to playthroughs? I know there exists a "post your videos" forums thread already, but it would be nice for people browsing http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ to have instant access to playthrough videos of the WADs rather than just subjective and anonymous star ratings.

I think this is a good idea. It would be nice if underneath the votes, there were links to preview the wad before you download it. The problem, though - Something like this would probably need approval for each individual video, in case someone submits a bogus/unrealted video as a review, or in case the video is removed from YouTube, which also happens pretty frequently. It all could get a bit murky but, in theory, I think this is a good idea.

Only allowing DoomWorld forum members to post would go a long way towards eliminating bogus videos. A flag system may also help with that and broken links.

This would reduce the incentive to actually play the wads, preferring instead to watch them passively.

printz said:

This would reduce the incentive to actually play the wads, preferring instead to watch them passively.

And?

Not that I disagree, but you're making a value assumption here that seems to be contradicted by the vast number of Let's Plays and so forth out there.

printz said:

I'm not so sure. I think it would be a complement to the ratings system. It is true that Terry/trap wads and buggy/unbalanced WADs may get fewer downloads, but hidden gems that have a playthrough link might get more downloads.

I think the idea has merit, provided it isn't an administrative nightmare. Might even introduce some new blood to the game.

I'd make space below each playthrough link to identify the player, port and any other mods in play.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Even if there are many wads without videos, there are (to my surprise) quite a few out there, usually covering the entire map set. Most popular wads are covered.

GreyGhost said:

I think the idea has merit, provided it isn't an administrative nightmare. Might even introduce some new blood to the game.

I'd make space below each playthrough link to identify the player, port and any other mods in play.

Even without video links, I'd like to see a place to put info that states that "I played this wad using Port X, version N, with these settings, and these files loaded, and it worked well. The video link field would be a bonus.

kb1 said:

Even without video links, I'd like to see a place to put info that states that "I played this wad using Port X, version N, with these settings, and these files loaded, and it worked well. The video link field would be a bonus.

Yes! So many "boom" maps are actually only tested in zdoom. Trying to make a demo on boom/limit removing is a hassle in /ports. Get massively stuck, lost enough to check in an editor, find an obvious incompatible linedef and such.

Maps should only be considered compatible with the ports the author tested them on.