Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

If you could create one video game of your choice...

...what would it be? I think most gamers have at least 1 dream game that they would love to see come into existence.

If you were rich and had the resources to hire designers to create 1 single game that could be exactly what you would like it to be, what kind of game would it be?

The one I've been trying to make for some over 15 years now. So, a sci-fi FPS where you shoot a lot of aliens/mutants/etc.

The one I've been hard at work on for two years maybe?

Jimi said:

The one I've been trying to make for some over 15 years now.

Without proof I find it hard to believe that you've actually worked on your game for even a fraction of that timespan.

it would probably be a sprite based fps with anime style visuals. it would include a visual novel style branching story

sheridan said:

Without proof I find it hard to believe that you've actually worked on your game for even a fraction of that timespan.

It's not always been the same name/project, but still it's always been the same game, which started with my Doomsday mod called Zoow: Alien Dimension. I stopped working on that sometime 2004, and I probably started it sometime 2000. So, ok, maybe it's not yet 15 years yet, but the 15th year is just starting. Phew.

I was just considering including some of my original first storyline from Zoow, that player would crashland a spaceship on some planet and then there are the aliens and mutants.

Maybe the doomwiki has some mention about the mod, but I don't think any version of it is available for download anywhere anymore.

I've been thinking about this recently to invest in other people's games and take a percentage. My friend's shitty FPS is always looking for money when its awful and I feel my money is better spent elsewhere. Sadly with kickstarter no one needs an investor to take a cut. They're all looking for free money and they get it some of the time.

I still make my own Atari-ish games, but well those are 1 day projects.

Jimi said:

It's not always been the same name/project, but still it's always been the same game, which started with my Doomsday mod called Zoow: Alien Dimension. I stopped working on that sometime 2004, and I probably started it sometime 2000.

So you made a mod that probably took somewhere between three and four years of on-and-off work to pull off, that sounds way more realistic.

Jimi said:

So, ok, maybe it's not yet 15 years yet, but the 15th year is just starting. Phew ... I was just considering including some of my original first storyline from Zoow, that player would crashland a spaceship on some planet and then there are the aliens and mutants.

Well by this logic id would've been working on Quake for six or seven years by the time they released the game in '96 since Carmack probably invented the character in 1989 or 1990, but that kind of counting is as meaningless as it is misleading.

I would love to play another game that felt the way Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues did on the Super Nintendo but improved. I would want the game to be story driven (with multiple outcomes), non linear, puzzles, various detailed atmospheres, driving, and first person shooting when needed. The soundtrack would be synthesized or sample based.

I have descriped this on few other thread too: WW2 era mmofps loaded with awesomeness, budget would be even bigger than Destiny had

I had an idea of a 4-a-side football (soccer) game where you control only one player and the other outfield players on your team are controlled by your friends. You could play against other groups of friends online and there would be leagues and tournemants. You could also have offline exhibition matches if you have six controllers.

Waffenak said:

I have descriped this on few other thread too: WW2 era mmofps loaded with awesomeness, budget would be even bigger than Destiny had

In an alternate history where WWII games didn't fall out of favor a few years prior to the rush of mediocre MMOs, it probably would have happened.

Anyways, I want to see a decent armored combat-focused game that actually has singleplayer and isn't a crapshoot developed by people with hard-ons for the Soviets. Essentially, Armored Core or Mechwarrior, but with tanks and IFVs instead of mechs. Fictional, of course, since you can't realistically mix and match parts and styles of most tanks, but inspired by actual tanks.

I would create a Doom-like 3D FPS with focus on gameplay over graphics, with its own specific balance and gimmicks, and on a different engine than Doom's, where I would change things with infinite flexibility that not even GZDoom and UDMF format provide.

Guest Unregistered account

Well... my dad's making a 3D RPG game using Unity which is going by the odd development-name of Hack/slash Tastic, and is completely in-dev. If anyone would like to help him with it, go ahead! I'm currently making artwork and trying to get my head around model-making packages for it.

One of the following:

A) an action game with me as the protagonist
B) a hardcore platformer/brawler hybrid with tons of unlockables and replayability
C) Doom 4 in the id Tech 4 engine

Actually, if I was rich I would just start a $10,000 contest for best Doom level and make the ultimate megawad from the entries :-)

Some Poles made Hatred, a spiritual successor to Postal 1 and RWS are doing Postal Redux, so my dream game of a perfect Postal brought back to the roots already exists. :D

But another game I would like to see is a reinterpretation/reboot that's loosely based on the Quake 1 mod 'Zerstorer - Testament of the Destroyer' simply called Testament of the Destroyer keeping the base story and some of the Quake elements (weapons, the Gremlin, Fiend and Shambler monsters, environments and traps etc.) and adding a whole lot of other things to make it its own game. The game design is an action/horror shooter in a dark, hellish, Gothic alternate dimension with an unnamed 'hero' called the Testament fighting a lot of hideous and diabolical monsters with otherworldly weaponry in various tests and trials put forth that involve Painkiller style monster deathtraps and sinister environmental puzzles on his quest to fare off against the great Destroyer, who is something like an Old One, an ancient and ageless cosmic terror that is indifferent to humanity, which takes on the form of whoever inherits it upon defeating it, like Caleb absorbs the essence and powers of Tchernobog in Blood. Every creature you've slain makes you stronger, as do collecting various runes (like in Quake) throughout the dimension that are used in conjunction with the Destroyer's power to allow a human to become a new Destroyer and have dimension altering and Earth conquering powers, at the cost of their humanity.

The soundtrack would be a dark industrial style like Quake 1 to suit the game's atmosphere and theme, which is dark, organic and demonic. The game also has a first and third person view mode toggle like The Suffering. The bestiary is an amalgamation of various monsters we've come to know in a number of 90s shooters as well as some newer games that aren't shooters but have cool monster designs e.g. Devil May Cry and are essentially monster hybrids of what would be considered 'the perfect army' in my opinion and consist of my favorites. There's also some very violent and gory player deaths if you succumb to any of the monsters or traps in the game's world. It's not an easy game as well, the combat is fast and vicious and the world is extremely oppressive to traverse. There's many boss battles too and they can be quite complex, more on par with a fighting game than an FPS. Weapons are very similar to Quake's but there's also a demon mode you can temporarily enter via collecting a number of essences from slain enemies, and when fighting and killing in demon mode against new adversaries you are gaining new attacks to use in future demon mode triggers. Only through demon mode and with all runes in your possession can you hope to destroy the Destroyer.

There's also three possible endings, although only one of which is considered canon and triggers an expansion pack to the first game called Testament of the Destroyer: Conquest with a very different combat style (guns ditched in favor of swordplay and magic powers) that's more like a fighting game than a shooter against a new bestiary summoned by a new devil who was imprisoned and now challenges your rule. It's still set in the same kind of world but with an even darker thematic as you're on your path to become the new Destroyer, going from a good vs. evil story to evil vs. evil. You must cleanse your world of these unwanted visitors and rebuild what was broken, before you can move on to inherit the earth, which in turn would lead to a sequel called Testament of the Destroyer II with a very different aesthetic from the first game altogether. I call it 'demonic cyberpunk hellektro' and would involve the modern but futuristic earth being threatened by the new Destroyer, who was the hero from the first game (Diablo anyone?) and who needs to be stopped by yet another hero which this time is a woman. But she'll need to blur the line between human and demon in order to even get halfway through the perils that await her. The combat style of guns and swordplay with magic are combined in the sequel and once again there's a new bestiary, which is less organic and more cybernetic, flesh infused with machinery like the Strogg. The soundtrack would also be very different with a heavy aggrotech sound with some dark dubstep to compliment the new themes.

I have two ideas for games that have sticking with me for several years that I still think would be simple enough to be pretty great.

1) A game that's a bit of a rip off of Contra. A 2D side scrolling bullet hell shooter where your character gets 3 lives and dies in one hit. It would come with its own built in editors so you can design your own levels, permitting you to upload your own backgrounds or use the premade ones packaged with the game. You can design your own enemies with their own movement and attack patterns, sizes, hp, and their own custom graphics. Then bullet hell extremists could go wild with the simplicity of contra. And trade packaged levels in a format similar to dooms wad format.

2) an arena deathmatch FPS like q3 or unreal tournament for consoles where instead of collecting weapons, characters start with all weapons and use them by a sequence of button presses or simple button mashing when you panic, like in street fighter 2. Preferably with robots or mechs so the violence is light and no gore.

geo said:

Sadly with kickstarter no one needs an investor to take a cut. They're all looking for free money and they get it some of the time.

I would argue that since kickstarter backers often get the game for a lower price than what they would have paid at launch means they do get a cut.

A modern-day sequel to the original X-Coms, obviously. Or a remake of X-Com Apocalypse with all the unfinished stuff... finished.

Well let's see... My original dream game would've been a Ghostbusters video game, but that already got made. Though then again, my game would've been different - rather than following a strict plot, I was thinking of more of an open-world type game where you took calls and then got to drive out in the Ecto-1 to bust ghosts, or just cruise the city looking for ghosts. And then you'd take the money you earned to invest in new equipment. Figured maybe you could throw in an overarching story, but not really have it be mandatory, so you could just focus on random hauntings if you wanted to.

Then there was my idea for a game where you're stranded on a desert island, having to gather resources, construct shelter and weapons, hunt and/or defend yourself from wild animals, and eventually construct a boat to escape the island. Then Minecraft got released, which was basically a more polished version of that idea.

The only thing I have left would be an open-world RPG-style Doom game. You'd go around, clearing out places of hordes of demons, finding new weapons and gear, dealing with different variations of the classic monsters... I guess you could say that Borderlands is that game, but this one I'm sticking to as being my dream game, because I want something along those lines but actually set in the Doom universe.

MajorRawne said:

A modern-day sequel to the original X-Coms, obviously. Or a remake of X-Com Apocalypse with all the unfinished stuff... finished.

There is already a game called xenonauts.

A platform game satirizing Greece, a cheesy scrolling brawler, and a disturbingly realistic and offensive political simulator.

hardcore_gamer said:

There is already a game called xenonauts.

Got it for Christmas, haven't played it yet. Looking very forward to getting a chance to play it.

This is a fun thread so I might as well post my 5 cents in here, now what a game I would do if I had all the budget, team and stuff?

An AAA-class remake of Soulcrusher, if you are not aware what Soulcrusher, it's a total conversion for GZDOOM that never got completed as it was intended due all the internal staff drama and me basically spending over a year JUST connecting all the dots to make sure that at least the start and end of it are as good as I dreamed (seriously, the final boss, is my personal best achievement in doom modding). It was a runner-up on cacowards in 2013 btw, refer to here: http://www.doomworld.com/20years/best3.php

So moving on to focus, basically I would remake Soulcrusher into a Wolfenstein: New Order style post-apocalyptic corporation-driven future FPS epic, trust me there's LOTS OF STUFF that got cut from soulcrusher that was meant to happen but it never did due all that happened.

List of things that the budget would allow:
- Flesh out the original story to great heights, but also expand on it, you may not be aware, Soulcrusher's story originally consisted of 7 acts, only first 3 made it in and I had to make a different ending. Basically it would end on a fight with an AI that can manifest itself in physical form and absorbs everything to keep getting bigger, it would be essentially a tiny man versus a god-like cyber freak. The gameplay would last about 20 hours tops I think.

- Bring back the alternate ending paths, which would still lead to the same final boss (provided the 7 act thing got in), you can either side with the resistance, your evil brother (plot twist, the main villain in soulcrusher is protagonist's own brother) or just screw over both and be the ultimate badass.

- FULL on voice acting
- Graphics that could realistically portray the concept arts which I still have lying around, waiting to be used someday.
- FULLY FLESH OUT THE SHOP SYSTEM
- Provide basic RPG elements sort of like Strife did.
- A professional cyberpunk style soundtrack, Soulcrusher's soundtrack was actually pretty close, THERE are unused tracks btw, and I have a compilation of NMn's musical contributions he made over the years when we collabed (that I am free to distribute)
- Multiplatforming thus even console users would get a kick out of it.

So basically, gameplay-wise it would be a mix of Bioshock, System Shock, Quake II, Unreal except without the major rpg elements from some of those and set in an universe that is combination of Mad Max and Blade Runner.

I think it would have to be Diablo 3. yeah, like an actual sequel to Diablo & Diablo 2 with an isometric top-down viewpoint. Not what they raped us with.

edit: I will clarify: the sequel would be immensely grim, gothic, bloody, and stark. Nothing glowing, no auras, no beautiful colors that appear out of nowhere when I'm playing a barbarian character. No huge bosses or ridiculous environments, just a visceral hack and slash experience where the emphasis is on survival and going deeper into the dungeon.

Doom deathmatch with excellent, new-age graphics and ragdoll effects and shit.

To anyone who says "classic Doom couldn't possibly work with new age graphics", I say PSHAW, expand your mind!

Oh, there would also be crazy game modes like CTF and AOW-inspired stuff, big teams of like 10 v 10 attacking eachother's base, or things as small as 1v1 duels. There would be like 10-15 maps for each gamemode too.

I would love to see this happen!

I would make a 3rd-person surreal survival horror in the vein of Resident Evil 4, only with the player character being a bit more agile (no tank, with fps-style strafing and turning).

I guess the setup would be coma+astral projection=trapped in a dimension.

I've noticed that a lot of people like this guy aren't scared by traditional horror tropes (gore, monsters, darkness) because it has some relateable basis in reality, because it's easy for them to go "okay, that thing has legs, it has flesh, it's basically an animal, I can just beat it over the head with a chair and mess it up real bad." But they're absolutely terrified by illogical events that don't make sense within the context of a game's established universe.

Basically the game would strive to present both. With illogical events like level geometry changing when you look away, certain defined rules of the game bending slightly during specific events, etc.

Maybe a few monsters that really fucked with you, with scripted mindfuck events/chases that are randomly loaded for each new game so as to keep the it from being predictable.

Maybe have an open Metroidvania-esq open world, with monsters moving around in real time. There would be safe rooms to go into to hide, and at least two ways into each one so monsters can't trap you in.