Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 14 - "Obsidian is a lazy prat" Edition

Downloab.

Name: Blasphemerotic Fellocide
Music: THAT GODAWFUL DRAGONFORCE MIDI
Themes: Perpetual floors and raising stairs

It's a thing. For Plutonia.

@Unholypimpin: I liked your map's idea - if the player unwisely grabbed the light goggles prematurely (like me), then he'd be blinded behind the yellow door and would have to rely on navigation through automap only. Actual execution isn't the best (skippable monsters everywhere), but it's still better than my own work, of course.

EDIT: Breezeep's map has a red door incorrectly opened by a blue key, which makes the red card redundant.

IMO the best maps are AD_79's + Alfonzo's ones, followed by TheMionicDonut's and Breezeep's, although the Breezeep's one only has a single instance of stairs.

scifista42 said:

Breezeep's map has a red door incorrectly opened by a blue key, which makes the red card redundant.

IMO the best maps are AD_79's + Alfonzo's ones, followed by TheMionicDonut's and Breezeep's, although the Breezeep's one only has a single instance of stairs.

Glad you liked my map, scifi. Also, is there any time for us to at least fix up our maps?

Breezeep said:

Also, is there any time for us to at least fix up our maps?

Heh, there's a couple things in mine that could use fixing (for example, an inescapable pit I completely forgot existed).

http://www.twitch.tv/mionic_d/b/612646611: Shameless plug of playthrough. Discussion on maps followed by attempts to drink water.

General thoughts:
-No outright bad maps this time around. All were enjoyable in some way.

Alfonzo:
-Love the map, one of your best yet, one of top two in the set.
-Add a chaingun
-Fix the blooodpit lift, it got fractured by DYNAMIC LIGHTING
-make the lift with the bonehead brothers on it lower unpegged.
-wish you could escape from the last room, if only to 100% the map

Slashbane:
-If you grant a shotgun at start, dont make it inaccessible if you move forward too fast.
-Hell nobles as snipers/up on a platform are kind of dumb. No fun to kill them
-Eclectic texture usage. Fun to use in speedmaps, while not completely tasteless.
-That ending. Mad dash, much wow.

AD_79:
-The other top two map in the session.
-Good usage of projectiles, viles, and even HKs.
-fix the northernmost pit. Not only is it inescapable, it is also non-damaging. >:C
-TOTAL nitpick, but why is the plasma island secret while the similarly executed GA island not a secret? Not like either of them are hidden, so the granting of a secret seems rather arbitrary. Whatever.

Obsidian:
-Thank you based midi
-Demon becomes Archvile. Excellent.
-Really think this map is capable of pacifisting, with enough practice.
-Are the perpetual floors arbitrary? Seems like the pink bridge moved at random rates every time I tried the map. Huh.

TMD:
-0/10, needs an SSG
-Oh wow, I have become every Multiplayer critic ever

Unholypimpin:
-Clean and simple map, good for an hours work
-Why do we have a blue armor again?
-Marble bricks that mostly tile. Huzzah!

Jimmy:
-This sure is a Jimmymap!
-Kinda tight on ammo. Completeable while challenging, but being able to 100% may be difficult with ammo provided, considering the archie exit [TM]
-Platforming section can be skipped, pretty much. Kind of a given with perpetual floors.

Breezeep:
-The key markers should correctly indicate the key required :>
-I think I may have it reversed. The indicator is right, but the required key is wrong. Double check that red door.

scifista:
-Fun use of the liteamp for the opening.
-Good ammo crunch, while still making the rev battle manageable.

Fuzzball:
-Hello gimmick map. Good job being tactful about it!
-Not sure if you were supposed to be able to access the liteamp before entering the maze. Gameplay ultimately works either way, but if you cant actually get the liteamp, does it meet the requested prompt?!??!!

GRB:
-This is a GRBmap. Not much else to say.
-The crusher yellow key room is almost entirely skippable, and obviously so. If you use this trick again, make the floor being crushed 20% damaging or something, since you can cheese that part by simple timing of the single crusher. That or lower the ceiling.
-played this map on the map11 slot. With the plutonia wad, the music is perfect. wherever this winds up in the actual finished wad, please use the Hunted music :D

Good stuff, overall. Again, I liked every single map in this set. For the amount of time put into each one, they not only play well, but look well enough to boot. Hope to see more ASSes of this caliber in the future!

Ahh my map was supposed to be named "Oh you wanted that?" ..yeah it was me being a butt and teasing with the Goggles and not giving them! xD Also I couldn't see the interpic! D;
Just be glad I didn't just make a loooooooong stair corridor! It was TEMPTING!

Just letting you guys know that I am compiling this and I am most definitely not getting distracted by Borderlands. Yep. Indeed. Yes sir!

On a side note, I need music credits from GRB, Fuzzballfox and SlashBane.

Obsidian said:

Just letting you guys know that I am compiling this and I am most definitely not getting distracted by Borderlands. Yep. Indeed. Yes sir!

On a side note, I need music credits from GRB, Fuzzballfox and SlashBane.

woops sorry

it's SA-X Arrival from Metroid Fusion or the same track in map 16 of Scythe

Just need the music credits for General Rainbow Bacon's map and this thing is ready to ship! I'll put up a beta by the end of the day either way and just mark his as unknown if I have to though.

The textfile has a few "Things to do" at the bottom of the file.

And those things arent done.

Many CWILV** level names are too wide to fit in the intermission screen for me. I play with resolution 640x480 on fullscreen. You've divided CWILV04 into 2 lines, you'd do it for some other CWILVs too.

scifista42 said:

Many CWILV** level names are too wide to fit in the intermission screen for me. I play with resolution 640x480 on fullscreen. You've divided CWILV04 into 2 lines, you'd do it for some other CWILVs too.

Can you give me a list of the ones that didn't fit? I have to sort of guess sometimes when it comes to that.

Obsidian said:

Can you give me a list of the ones that didn't fit? I have to sort of guess sometimes when it comes to that.

CWILV01, CWILV04, CWILV05, CWILV07, CWILV08, CWILV10. If you wanted to check yourself whether they fit or not, you can play with your display options, temporarily set the proper resolution and test ingame. CWILV06 and CWILV09 fit the screen exactly, you can use them for comparison.

scifista42 said:

CWILV05

The best CWILV, by the way :P

So, considering the original resolution of Doom, I'm assuming they shouldn't be any wider than 320px.

I would like to say thank you, Obsidian for letting my partake in this speedmapping session. I actually had fun making a speedmap and I would love to participate in more of your sessions (If I can)!

There! Thanks for the help there Scifista. I'll upload this to Incoming at the end of the day if there aren't any more bugs.