Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Knas

Lift being triggered by monsters causes problems

In Doom1, the w1 lift lower/raise action can be triggered by enemies and since I use it for a one time trap it's led to some problems.

I want to have some monsters around to make the area less suspicious but unless I use a block monster line it's a high chance the trap will be triggered and it will fail. But using the block monster line it will most likely make the trap really bad if the player just wants to run away.

So I'm looking for suggestions for lowering and raising the floor once but not being triggered by enemies and working with vanilla Doom. :/

Use fast lifts, they're not triggered by enemies. Alternatively, use one of the floor actions to simply lower the floor, and let it raise again by a switch or another walkover linedef the player will have to cross.

But the Ultimate Doom v1.9 engine supports them, and that's what matters when making new maps in this day. We don't have to map with the old engine in mind. From this perspective, fast lifts work in vanilla Doom 1.

scifista42 said:

But the Ultimate Doom v1.9 engine supports them, and that's what matters when making new maps in this day. We don't have to map with the old engine in mind. From this perspective, fast lifts work in vanilla Doom 1.

I think the pre-udoom engine still matters today. Some people still map for it. :)

I thought fast lifts were introduced in Doom 2, not in Ultimate Doom. Since Doom and Doom 2 share the engine, the new actions should work even in Doom v1.666.

TimeOfDeath said:

I think the pre-udoom engine still matters today. Some people still map for it. :)

But those are very rare. And people who play custom maps with that engine are even rarer. :)