Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

Unpopular Opinions

I dislike Shadow Warrior exactly for being inconsistent. Not even so much theme-wise as gameplay-wise. The environment and enemies don't look like they fit together well. The enemies are annoying to fight more often than not. The first level features mandatory driving of toy cars, overpowered ninja with a rocket launcher in the end, and a random indestructible guard turret. All of that in one grim level, exploratory on the positive side, but with not much enjoyable fighting.

Well I enjoyed the tough at first fighting, I've gotten too used to it though and find it I a bit too easy now.

The turret actually isn't indestructible, a few rockets or grenades should blow it up or at least give an indication of being destroyed with smoke.

The toy cars aren't that bad though.

Duke3D is my favourite Build game as well. That's not an unpopular opinion though. I find it to be more balanced and fun to play than Blood or SW. Blood is pretty damn difficult from the first level.

Ok, some of my unpopular opinions on gaming:

* BioShock Infinite is one of the most disappointing games. It should serve as an example of how NOT to design shooters.

* Wolfenstein: The New Order is overrated as hell.

* RAGE is amazing.

* DOOM 3 is NOT boring. It's also better than Half-Life 2.

* Speaking of which, Half-Life 2 is one of the most overrated games ever (the base game, Episodes are good).

* Gravity Gun did not impress me that much.

* I like Xen in Half-Life.

* Deus Ex: Invisible War was not really that bad.

* Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is terrible and frustrating.

* Quake 2 is the worst id game, boring and tedious.

* S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are best played unmodded.

* BioShock is better than BioShock 2.

* X-COM: Terror from the Deep is better than UFO: Enemy Unknown.

* Diablo III is better than Diablo II (generally).

* F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin is way better than F.E.A.R.

Touchdown said:

Yes, but the additional content for F.E.A.R kick the shit out of F.E.A.R 2's additional content.

Seriously, F.E.A.R 2's Reborn campaign was so short and shit that it wasn't even funny when you compare it to the excellent Perseus Mandate campaign for F.E.A.R.

Half-Life sucked. Forget Halo or Call of Duty or whatever you kids like to blame nowadays, this game and the imitation thereof is a big part of where the FPS genre started to fall apart.

The original Diablo is better than Diablo II, which lost much of the hellish vibe that was appealing in the original to add more generic fantasy stuff instead.

Sandy Petersen is cool.

Corridor 7 is one of the better Wolf-alikes.

Witchaven isn't bad either, just a bit rough around the edges and with issues exacerbated by poor emulation these days.

OpenGL-rendered Doom engines are a terrible idea.

I enjoy Insane Clown Posse from time to time. They make me laugh.

Digital distribution sucks.

mrthejoshmon said:

Yes, but the additional content for F.E.A.R kick the shit out of F.E.A.R 2's additional content.

Seriously, F.E.A.R 2's Reborn campaign was so short and shit that it wasn't even funny when you compare it to the excellent Perseus Mandate campaign for F.E.A.R.

While I also thought Reborn was short and almost kind of pointless, I thought Perseus Mandate was unpolished garbage. Extraction Point was very good however.

Also, F.E.A.R.'s gun sounds and particle effects alone make it better than F.E.A.R. 2. I liked both though.

F.E.A.R. 3 was absolute garbage.

This thread is fun! Here are some more.

Half-Life was great back then but it didn't age well. The AI is especially god awful. Especially when compared to other games of the time like Unreal and Kingpin.

Opposing Force is a terrible expansion pack, with even WORSE AI issues.

UT won the war between it and Q3, even though Q3 is a great game, UT is fucking stellar and the superior product. The music alone blows Q3 out of the water.

DOOM 3 is a fun game, and feels like a bit of a love letter to System Shock mixed with DOOM. But I hope DOOM 4 isn't like DOOM 3 and goes more back to its roots.

Wolfenstein 09 was (last time I played it) a fun and enjoyable game. Not sure why everyone hates on it?

I enjoy when a developer makes an official port for their older games (Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Strife, etc). Get rid of all the DOSisms, save my time from looking for a modern port.

Hatred looks like a fun game and I've missed playing the first POSTAL, but its to clunky and ugly nowadays to enjoy.

The first Halo has some of the worst level design I've ever seen.

The DMC reboot was fun and enjoyable.

@Touchdown

Duke3D is my favourite Build game as well. That's not an unpopular opinion though. I find it to be more balanced and fun to play than Blood or SW. Blood is pretty damn difficult from the first level.

Ok, some of my unpopular opinions on gaming:

* BioShock Infinite is one of the most disappointing games. It should serve as an example of how NOT to design shooters.

Completely agree

* Wolfenstein: The New Order is overrated as hell.

I disagree, although the game has its fair share of flaws. Better than Bioshock: Infinite though

* RAGE is amazing.

Good but not amazing. It could have been amazing.

* DOOM 3 is NOT boring. It's also better than Half-Life 2.

Yes, yes and yes again.

* Speaking of which, Half-Life 2 is one of the most overrated games ever (the base game, Episodes are good).

Pretty much

* Gravity Gun did not impress me that much.

I thought it was cool

* I like Xen in Half-Life.

Me too!

* Deus Ex: Invisible War was not really that bad.

Haven't played it yet.

* Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is terrible and frustrating.

Yep.

* Quake 2 is the worst id game, boring and tedious.

Yep, Quake 1 had atmosphere, Quake 2 felt like a confused mess

Haven't played any mods yet so I'm not sure

* BioShock is better than BioShock 2.

Both are good I think.

* Diablo III is better than Diablo II (generally).

The overall game feels better, yes.

Yep

- I honestly think world peace should happen. I can live with and can tolerate everyone (except criminals) and if I can, everyone else should.
- I love traditional metal az electronic music equally. I consider the latter as real music just like anything else and metalheads should admit the same.
- punks can be actually good people, not always only being dickheads
- Pewdiepie has entertaining moments. Saying as Im 21.
- Russian Doom community has some releases better than some stuff coming from here.
- Despite Putin just wants to protect russians, i still afraid he is ready to do something that we should not let happen (attempts to recreate a giant empire mr something...we have seen several examples im history)
- mentally retarded mr damaged people, if unable to eat breathe or communicate without external help should be euthanised without exception. Thats less cruel then letting someone alive who would be unable on their own.

BaronOfStuff said:

- Half-Life is the single most overrated FPS in existence.

Certainly, but it's still a fun romp from time to time. I really like playing it in the software renderer at 480p. The lack of filtering on low-res textures, crude mipmapping (kinda stylish IMO) and the ability to view non-power-of-two textures really makes the game look nice.

BaronOfStuff said:

- Doom 3 is actually fun.

It grew on me after some years. It's no replacement for the original Doom, but it does explore some concepts that were only vaguely mentioned or even cut (seems there was a bit of influence from the Doom Bible in D3).

I firmly believe even the original Doom was not meant to be some blazing-fast extreme action game. That's only if you're good at the game. Doom 1 plays nicely at a slower pace and feels quite like Doom 3 when playing with unintuitive controls (like most newbies in 93 would've experience the game). The game took on a whole different feel when experimenting with left-handed controls as a right-handed person.

The real difference in pace between classic Doom and post-classic Doom is that post-classic capped you at a slower pace while classic went as fast as you wanted to go. Doom 3 feels quite like classic Doom in pacing once you remove some of the elements that force you to play slower.

Specifically, I autoload my own little mod that increases the player speed to 125% (same as BFG edition), infinite stamina, as well as incorporating someone else's ambient light mod. It really improves the experience for me when I can go at my own pace without being held back.

Even without those changes, Doom 3 is still a fun game. It's just that its pace caps were a poor decision IMO and is even better without them.

Half-life 2 will always be one of my favorite PC games...

Why you ask? Simple:

God

Noclip

Notarget

bind . "npc_create npc_combine_s"
bind / "npc_create npc_citizen"
bind m "npc_create npc_zombie"
bind , "ai_disable"
bind p "npc_equipment weapon_ar2"
bind o "npc_equipment weapon_smg1"
bind i "npc_equipment weapon_shotgun"

Endless fun due to ai nodes within the maps.

I don't believe that SVN or GIT have any real advantage over CVS.

Spoiler

I challenge anyone to try and make a short (no longer than 100 words if written, or no longer than half a minute if spoken/acted) convincing layman's "sales pitch" and try and "sell" me on any of them, without making me read walls of text on wikipedia or Linus Torvalds's memoirs on how much he hates CVS, without saying just "but everybody's saying that they are better", and without degenerating the "pitch" into a personal attack.

If the CVS's shortcomings (or the competitors' advantages) are really so overwhelming as it's said, then it should be a quick and easy task, and literally anybody could pull out a successful "pitch" out of his ass. The thing should sell like hot cakes. But alas (?), so far, nobody has been able to make such a pitch.

Also, I don't believe that consistently directing my handwriting top-to-bottom has any real benefit. I still get weird looks whenever I'm handwriting something, or I'm asked if I'm normally left-handed.
Spoiler

I just write in whatever direction is dictated by the flow of the text and the form of the letters, which might means starting from the bottom or the sides or the top, if that's more convenient.

Nobody has ever been able to offer me an explanation (calligraphic, pedagogical, ergonomic, graphologic, physiological or otherwise) on why forming letters top-to-bottom in handwriting is to be preferred, other than "that's the way handwriting is taught".

Initially I wanted to post this on Sonic Retro, but because they haven't approved me as a member yet and seeing as how a handful of people on Doomworld are interested in Sonic, I think i'll post it here.

Sonic CD is not a good game.

I don't understand why many Sonic fans consider this game to be a quality platformer. I mean, it's not like I think the game is outright terrible and fundamentally broken like Sonic 4 or a good handful of 3D Sonic games are, and at first glance the game doesn't seem that bad. The music is fine, the graphics and aesthetics are fine, as with the controls, the physics, the special stages and everything else. But what makes Sonic CD not a good game are two very important words that are critical to game design: Level. Layouts.

First off, let me make myself clear as day, I completely understand that Sonic was never all about speed. Yes, it was a selling point that made him unique from other platformers like Mario, but it was never the main focus of the games themselves. The Genesis/Megadrive trilogy were, for the most part, platformers that let you achieve speed as a reward through using your pinball-like physics and momentum, and there were alternate paths and hidden secrets you could find in the levels. Honestly, Sonic CD is as fast as Sonic 1, if not more so.

The issue I have with Sonic CD's level design however, lies with it's flow. The level layouts are batshit insane. It's like if they just made them at the last minute with a random level generator program and hoped and prayed they would turn out fine, rather than having someone along the likes of Yasahara-san (a.k.a “Carol Yas”) properly make the levels for them. For all of the shit people give Marble and Labyrinth from Sonic 1, those might have been slower than most other Sonic zones, but at least they were still competently designed and had flow to them. And to me, they're actually fun to play. With Sonic CD however, all of the levels feel too vertically designed, rather than having a healthy balance of both directions like the levels in the cartridge games. Wacky Workbench is quite easily the poster-child of how to NOT design a Sonic zone, and I shouldn't even have to explain why as everyone knows how bad that level is.

The time travel gimmick while a nice idea on paper is poorly implemented into the game. You need to find a past or future sign, build up enough speed, and hope something doesn't stop you right before you warp. And yes, there are things in levels like loops and two horizontal springs facing each other that let you do it with ease, but they are far in between in certain time zones. It wouldn't have been so bad if they just warped you to the time zone instantly if you hit the timepost while running or if it did something like Sonic 2 and 3's starposts where glitter pops up above and you can jump into it.

Going into the future is fucking pointless. Sure, if you made a good future, you'll find arbitrary bonuses like ring and 1up monitors, but they aren't really needed to progress as Sonic CD isn't hard at all and you don't even need to collect that many rings if you're aiming to destroy all the robot generators and not get the time stones. There's no damn point in doing it. You'll see what the future looks like in Act 3.

Once you destroy the robot generator in the past, you don't even need to go back to the present. You can just get to the end of the level which ironically makes Sonic CD more of a “HOLD RIGHT TO WIN” game than it's cartridge contemporaries. It's funny because exploring in the Genesis trilogy is far more enjoyable than it is in Sonic CD, because you actually feel rewarded when you do it, and best of all, it's entirely optional and isn't forced upon the player. With Sonic CD on the other hand, I have no desire to do it because the levels are so uninteresting to me, so why the hell should I even bother?

It's a crying shame too because Sonic CD has a lot going for it. The Japanese soundtrack is one of the best I've heard from the series, the anime cutscenes are superb, and the aesthetics, while not as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, are easily on par with Sonic 2's. But because the level design is so mediocre it really hurts what otherwise could've been a great game.

Admittedly it's not the most overrated Sonic game, (That honor would go to Sonic Adventure 2.) but I would hardly consider that it warrants the praise it has received.

Wow. That was one big wall of text I just made. :P

Sphere was a good movie. Not as good as the book, but it was a lot better than it was given credit for. Most of the characters were spot on with their book counter parts, with the exception of the Navy crew in the film. I also find it weird that Queen Latifah had such an inconsequential role, especially since that her character, compared to the book's version, was basically slaughtered. And with names like Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Sam Jackson, Liev Schreiber, Peter Coyote, and QL, I'm surprised the other crewman wasn't Helen Hunt.

Patch93 said:

Initially I wanted to post this on Sonic Retro, but because they haven't approved me as a member yet and seeing as how a handful of people on Doomworld are interested in Sonic, I think i'll post it here.

Sonic CD is not a good game.

I haven't played sonic cd yet because I dont own it but its got great soundtrack, the japan/european version I mean. Just wanted to mark this, I dont know about the gameplay.

Yeah, the Japanese/European OST is one of Sonic CD's strong points. I prefer it over the American OST, which while it did have a few good tracks, it sounded mostly bland IMO and didn't fit as well as the Japanese music.

If you're going to play Sonic CD, I would highly suggest the Taxman remake as it fixes the collision detection, adds in the Sonic 2/3 physics and spindash, has wider screen resolution, etc. That being said, you may or may not like the level design.

Touchdown said:

Well a few lesser mods can't hurt, such as weapon skins and sounds, I've found a few nice skins and tried a few different sounds from other games which I feel made certain weapons sound more realistic and less like crappy pop sounds.

* Donkey Kong Country 3 is the second best game of the classic SNES trilogy, and therefore better than DKC1 IMO.

* My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the most overrated animated television show ever fucking conceived. It is not the juggernaut of TV animation that people make it out to be.

* Most creepypastas are retarded and are not scary at all. There are a few exceptions like Ben Drowned, but most of them are shit with overuse of violence, gore and supernatural occurences and are not even remotely believable in the slightest.

* I'm not that big of a fan of the 1987 TMNT cartoon. The first two seasons minus those weird "Teenagers from Dimension X" episodes were great, but after that the series was a heavily mixed bag, with a chunk of the episodes ranging from mediocre to bad rather than good. I much prefer the 2003 and 2012 series as they feel more consistent. (aside from those god awful Fast Forward seasons the 2k3 show had.)

Yeah, new TMNT is surprisingly good. I like how it takes stuff from all the previous series' canons, tones, and themes and strings them together into one, and rather competently so.

Patch93 said:

* My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the most overrated animated television show ever fucking conceived. It is not the juggernaut of TV animation that people make it out to be.

I used to be a brony. But I realized how shitty the fandom was and matured up.

You used to like an artform and now you dislike it because of the other people who like it? That is not a form of maturation. I don't know you but that sounds like concern of your own perceived social status.

I mean, I enjoy Doom and hate all of you simultaneously.

I would argue that liking MLP this much is social bandwagoning in the first place. There's a large crowd of people already enjoying it, talking about the episodes and characters and all the minor inconsequential details, hyping each other for future releases, stuff. A brony gets a tv show + a social link. It's giving in to the sweet allure of belonging. Then when he gets fed up with the latter, he may look upon the former with sober eyes and go home with a resounding "meh".

It isnt even aired on TV here as far as i know, not even one commercial. So, no. it is not big enough to be what hey claim it is.

It is a childrens cartoon with a headnod towards the bored parent watching his kids show, to actally parent. If you Want to watch animated series with true content and true emotions i would say ; Watch some adult or late teen anime, those make standard western TV series look empty and story less.

Well I think the need to belong to a group applies to pretty much any and everything. Star Wars/Trek, Big Bang Theory, Pokemon, zombie fandom, furry fandom, American football, European football; it would apparently apply to many different cultural phenomena and artforms.

People are like animals sometimes, they sniff each other's butts for the interaction, not because they objectively love assholes.

edit: on-topic: Diablo was superior to Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was about 10 times better than Diablo 3.