Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

conversions of Xbox exclusive maps

Are there any PC conversions of Xbox exclusive maps for the Ultimate Doom and Doom II? Namely, E1M10 (Sewers) and MAP33 (Betray), preferably with altered versions of E1M1 and MAP02, which contain additional secret exits to reach the aformentioned secret levels.

So are there any? Perhaps full Xbox conversions (like PSX Doom and Doom 64?)

I think they're on idgames actually, I swear i've passed by them while clicking the random file button.

Memfis said:

Is this legal?

Now I've read on Doomwiki.org that both maps had been released as standalone WADs before the Xbox release. Perhaps the files on the site linked by Dragonsbrethren are the original files, and not console dumps. I'm not sure.

Also: I've checked the secret on MAP02 in PC's Doom 3 BFG version and sadly it doesn't work properly. The switch works, but once you activate it the level ends and you're transported back to MAP01 instead of MAP33.

"Conversions"? Legal status?

Dude, these are old PC maps that have been released to the public for free since the mid '90s. Only reason they were included in Xbox Doom 3 is because the people porting it happen to be the authors of those maps.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Works for me in Eternity Engine. Doom 3 BFG Edition itself is broken as hell, it's better to play using any sourceport.

Archi said:

Works for me in Eternity Engine. Doom 3 BFG Edition itself is broken as hell, it's better to play using any sourceport.

Oh... well yeah, I checked it in actual BFG edition. I'll try it under PrBoom+

It does. The latest test release (2.5.1.4.test) supports them (it's stated in the change log and I can confirm from my own experiences that those IWADs work).

Even if they were exclusive to the Xbox, that didn't stop the PSX TC from happening. Nobody takes issue with that, so please, no double standards.

Anyway, there are PSX recreations of these maps in the PSX TC's Lost Levels, which are much better than the original versions.

I just checked doom2.wad from the BFG edition in a source port (PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4.test) and the secret exit in map02 works properly and moves the player to map33 (Betray). I assume that's because the source port has proper metadata or something...

... but seriously, what a JOKE and sloppiness on id Software's part. To make a level inaccessible in the official port when it's included in the IWAD and accessible via 3rd party source ports...

Also, the level hasn't been fixed and it's impossible to leave the yellow key door through the teleporter so if you enter it without the yellow key you're screwed :P

Patrol1985 said:

Also, the level hasn't been fixed and it's impossible to leave the yellow key door through the teleporter so if you enter it without the yellow key you're screwed :P

well, it is an old crappy 90s wad, so i doubt touching the level crossed anyone's mind at all. and besides, i'm pretty sure there's at least one or two levels in any of the official Doom IWADs that have similar parts where you can get stuck due to an oversight of sorts. my only question is why they're there in the first place. would you really want something crappy you did when you were young in a thing like this?

Doomhuntress said:

would you really want something crappy you did when you were young in a thing like this?

Well obviously they did.

It was a "look how far I've gone" thing, really. "As a kid I made crappy fan levels for this game, and now I'm officially working on it!"

Gez said:

It was a "look how far I've gone" thing, really. "As a kid I made crappy fan levels for this game, and now I'm officially working on it!"

So it IS a legit career path :D :D :D

Patrol1985 said:

So it IS a legit career path :D :D :D

Most definitely. I started making mods for Battlezone and now I'm reading Gameplay Design and Production at university.

Anyhow, long-time lurker registered to say that he made a pair of wads that do exactly what you're looking for about two years ago and released them over on the ZDoom forums:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36600

These are obsolete now as I've just finished compiling a pair of PK3s that insert the maps into the correct places in both games (thanks, Gez, for your help with SLADE the other day), but I figured you'd appreciate these.