Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

To stretch to the whole range rather equally. If you kept both least significant bits = 0, the maximum would be 252, not 255. Repeating the most significant bits, you will have some slightly wider gaps spread across the range:

abcdef00b: 0, 4, 8 ... 56, 60; 64, 68 ... 120, 124; 128, 132 ... 188; 192 ... 248, 252
abcdefabb: 0, 4, 8 ... 56, 60; 65, 69 ... 121, 125; 130, 134 ... 190; 195 ... 251, 255

Both results should not really differ noticably.

This reminds me of the course Formal Languages (or how it is called) which I'm practicing at the university in the meantime.

Gez said:

What I do when converting 6-bit-per-channel colors to 8-bpc colors is to take the two most significant bits and add them back as least significant bits, so "abcdef" becomes "abcdefab".

63 : 111111b => 11111111b : 255
0 : 000000b => 00000000b : 0

Brilliant insight, a robust solution, Gez! It's the simple, yet brilliant algorithms I find most appealing!

LigH said:

Just a consequent use of the positional notation with different base values.

Were you responding to me? If so, what does positional notation have to do with it? I was complementing Gez's method of extending a 6-bit number to 8-bits, in a way that automatically maps the largest 6-bit number to the largest 8-bit number, and maps the lowest 6-bit number to the lowest 8-bit number, etc, without needing conditional statements. Sort of like a reverse sign-extend.

The rifle, as used by the base Former Humans, is a bullpup model that seems to load the same 9mm cartridges as the pistol. I came to the bullpup conclusion after studying the sprites.

Of course, the troopers are fucking idiots in regards to their weapon's role and fire their assault rifles from the hip in semi-auto mode.

@ kb1: Yes. You can roughly compare it to the "proof" of decimal equality of an infinite periodic fraction of 9:

1/9 = 0.11~
2/9 = 0.22~
3/9 = 0.33~
8/9 = 0.88~
9/9 = 0.99~ = 1.0

Just that Gez has a finite fraction due to a limited resolution (seeing the range normalized).

Ishtar's Gate said:

Of course, the troopers are fucking idiots in regards to their weapon's role and fire their assault rifles from the hip in semi-auto mode.

Nobody said that being possessed would be easy.

Krazov said:

Nobody said that being possessed would be easy.

>:D

If you doubt that, watch some Bruce Campbell classics again!

They're reanimated zombies. Firing a gun is quite a step up from the usual staggering around and groaning "brains"; like a dog riding a bicycle, it's impressive they can do it at all.

LigH said:

If you doubt that, watch some Bruce Campbell classics again!

They are forever in my heart. Actually, it’s pretty funny but it took me many years to figure out that the chainsaw and the supershotgun are an homage to “Evil Dead.”

damerell said:

They're reanimated zombies.

But they’re not classic (now) zombies—risen from the dead. They are more like possessed. I even saw a thread about it somewhere on Doomworld. So it’s hard to say what is hard for them.

When using a projectile-based weapon you can clearly see that the projectiles are coming from your body, not from the weapon.

My god. Doom... is dead.

Memfis said:

When using a projectile-based weapon you can clearly see that the projectiles are coming from your body, not from the weapon.

My god. Doom... is dead.

Code-wise, it's only logical. I knew the truth and never paid attention to it. I can live with it. Doom can live with being that unrealistic. ;)

No chasecam or ZDoom-mirror will ever show Doomguy otherwise than the predefined sprites, regardless what weapon he holds currently.

I just found out that Doom 2 GBA uses the same chain saw sound for attacking monsters when using it without attacking anything.

Marnetmar said:

E1M1 has a berserk pack in multiplayer.

Wow, indeed it does! Nice find. Also, it's there only on Easy and Medium difficulties. Here it is in the editor:

Linguica said:

oh yeah well DID YOU KNOW: when the player is out of ammo for one gun they are supposed to switch to a different gun if they have ammo for it, but the doomguy will NOT automatically switch to the super shotgun if he runs out of ammo for a different gun and he has exactly 2 shells left??

That is one of the coolest Doom bugs I've heard of. Just so quirky.

May even be intentional: Conservative ammo use. You wouldn't want to waste both shells when you are careful and close in combat anyway, and two single shots with little distance may be more useful than a wasted wide-angle blast.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Only in Ultimate Doom.

As well as the entire switch-activated shortcut to the central courtyard from the first room.

EDIT:

@LigH: Interesting theory. I can't 100% deny it in my head, even though I've seen the code Linguica posted.

LigH said:

May even be intentional: Conservative ammo use. You wouldn't want to waste both shells when you are careful and close in combat anyway, and two single shots with little distance may be more useful than a wasted wide-angle blast.

I think it's more likely they intended to do a check for less than two shells, since the super shotgun can't fire if the player has less than two shells anyway.

I found out from watching the Double Fine Dev Plays with Romero that in Mt. Erebus you're supposed to rocket jump to get to the secret exit. I had never done that nor even heard that mentioned before. It's possible to strafe jump to get to it which is what I had always done.

I also didn't know about id's rule of "if it could have been done in the previous game then it doesn't belong in the new game," which Romero also mentioned in the Dev Plays.

sector666 said:

in Mt. Erebus you're supposed to rocket jump to get to the secret exit. I had never done that nor even heard that mentioned before. It's possible to strafe jump to get to it which is what I had always done.

It's even possible to hit the switch from outside that box by just walking against the wall and looking in the direction of it (not behind it) and press use.
The usual single map speedrun route is straferunning straight there and hit the switch.

Actually, according to the update notes, the wall behind the switch was thickened to prevent exactly this. Obviously, this "fix" doesn't do anything related. Some dummy actions assigned to the side walls would have prevented this, though.

I’m beginning to suspect that Harris quest (game killer) in “Strife” was suppose to be some kind of easter egg for those who played demo. In demo version Blackbird says to get rid of Chalice. And in demo, anyways, it doesn’t matter that much ‘cause it’s short. (But it gives the achivement in Steam.)

I think it would have to make some kind of real world reference to be considered an "easter egg."

Anyway there is a point to doing the quest even in the full game, since there are a bunch of goodies you can get for completing it even though it doesn't advance the main plot.

I think Harris was placed in the game simply as an effort to expand the game world - it seems weird that they would put all the work into inventing his character, quest, and drawing a portrait for him under any other circumstance.

Apropos Strife ... is there any rather comprehensive documentation? I never found out what I am "supposed to do", regarding the Chalice and Harris, after successfully avoiding to get overwhelmed in the gouvernor's office, by not stealing the Chalice while silencing Beldin. It gives quite a bad reputation in the tavern.

Beldin gives a hint that working with Harris might end up sore. That, of course, may be too subtle. I remember from the 90s that after stealing Chalice governor wouldn’t talk to me, and I had to start anew. (But my memory might be fooling me or I might have been not that skillful player back then.) Veteran Edition fixes this in a rather neat way.

But still—it leaves impression of an aborted arc. You get a crossbow from Rowan and Harris, like there was supposed to be two paths, while Harris path was a dead end. Luckily, it was quite early and later choices hadn’t had that game killing consequences.