Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia textures for Doom 2

This is a texture WAD that allows you to use the Plutonia textures in Doom 2 WADs without the worry of overlapping patch or texture names. For instance A-ROCK no longer replaces FIREBLU and SW1SKULL is now SW1SKULP. Boom ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps are included to account for the new texture names.

Download!
Download "Fixed" version!

Comes in two flavors, normal and "fixed". The "fixed" version includes small changes to the new textures, including evenly-dimensioned versions of the new BRICK textures, a properly-aligned MYWOOD, plus a few new ones, including some custom edits, and a few fitting textures from TNT and PL2, the DBRICK from mm.wad, and the VINES from hc20.wad.

Preview of the fixed textures.

I hate Plutonia's textures and texture scheme, I have them associated with frustration of dying... Sorry, that's another chapter. Thanks, Jimmy! The fixed ones look good and will be much more comfortable to use (not that I'm going to do so). The only shame is that the wad won't fully work in vanilla due to the usage of ANIMATED/SWITCHES.

Imo pls don't use the 16-high bricks, it's immediately noticeable and looks wrong and lazy ("booo, I'm not gonna align anything"). The unusual brick height is what gives them so much character.

Memfis said:

Imo pls don't use the 16-high bricks, it's immediately noticeable and looks wrong and lazy ("booo, I'm not gonna align anything"). The unusual brick height is what gives them so much character.

I agree that the bricks have "character" at that size, but I'm more concerned with using them efficiently because they're great-looking textures. I think it's far from wrong and lazy to use my edits - if you want to vertically align floors with the Plutonia textures' weirdo brick heights, you have to use heights in the area of:

64/65

Which just looks and feels awkward for the mapper (at least for me). It's just nicer to be able to align the floors and ceilings to multiples of 8 - it takes out the step of having to fine-tune your detailing for the sake of bad texture cutoffs which is perfectly avoidable if the bricks are properly sized.

107 is the best sector height stop hating creative and inventive map design.

Tarnsman said:

This.

Tarnsman said:

I agree.

*makes a map and shifts the whole thing up 107 units*

:)

EDIT: also you used some corrected Plutonia bricks in Suitcase of Gor so har har

Jimmy said:

EDIT: also you used some corrected Plutonia bricks in Suitcase of Gor so har har

I used some horrible crappy textures in some horrible crappy mapset. Who would have known?

Memfis said:

Do all the 16-tall bricks in Doom2.wad also "look wrong"?

Lots of textures exist in several different shapes, sizes, and colors so they can be used in more situations.

No, the resized Plutonia bricks look wrong to me because I know how they are supposed to look, so smaller ones feel low-res or something, like crappier versions of the originals. First noticed this feeling when I was playing Speed of Doom.

Judging by the jokey responses, I guess not many people have this problem.

I get a similar feeling when looking at thet vine grass flat in Scythe 2 for example: http://i.imgur.com/xmpRNRV.png (looks underdetailed compared to the wall)

Memfis said:

No, the resized Plutonia bricks look wrong to me because I know how they are supposed to look, so smaller ones feel low-res or something, like crappier versions of the originals.

I get a similar feeling when looking at thet vine grass flat in Scythe 2 for example: http://i.imgur.com/xmpRNRV.png (looks underdetailed compared to the wall)

I usually notice such things and accept them without a problem, as long as the new variant is nice enough on its own and the aspect of being "low-res crappier versions of the originals" is in the background. The good case happens pretty much everytime when I see a texture edit in a decent quality map or a texture pack. The bad case usually happens when I'm trying to rescale sprites or textures myself, which is obviously because I have no talent to become a graphic artist. But from the examples of textures in this thread (even Memfis's picture), I like their looks.

It's much worse when a texture is upscaled. I'm sure a lot of people remember that big skull switch from Plutonia. Community sequels had it replaced with a better version, although I wouldn't call it perfect either.

I don't mind Plutonia's upscaled skull switch, even though I can see the non-quality distortion. I also don't mind upscaled MARBFACEs that can be found in MAP30 of Zones of Fear (and probably elsewhere). On the other hand, the smudged Alien Vendetta lavafalls looked rather jarring to me since the first moment I've seen them.

Da Werecat said:

It's much worse when a texture is upscaled. I'm sure a lot of people remember that big skull switch from Plutonia. Community sequels had it replaced with a better version, although I wouldn't call it perfect either.

There's a better version in Plutonia 2, which is present in the "fixed" version of my WAD here.

I've just updated the "fixed" wad with a new texture courtesy of EffinghamHuffnagel, who kindly furnished me with a "destroyed" variant of the updated DOBWIRE (the barbed wire fence texture in TNT).

Download

Hmm I remember asking if something like this existed a while ago on IRC when I started my megawad and was persuaded to just use the Plutonia IWAD instead as mass importing of other IWAD textures was considered a legal no no.

Thanks for this! The edited versions of the bricks look fine and seems to be a bit more versatile, although the original versions look more distinct.

Now what about a 24 units tall version of the bricks (5 rows -> 120 units tall texture) and/or a 20 units tall version (6 rows -> 120 units tall texture)? The 8 units remaining to height 128 would be filled by a horizontal metal trim. Think of it as a compromise: It would make the texture relatively easy to work with while looking close to the original rather than "wrong" like the 16 units tall downscaled version. Please?

scifista42 said:

Now what about a 24 units tall version of the bricks (5 rows -> 120 units tall texture) and/or a 20 units tall version (6 rows -> 120 units tall texture)? The 8 units remaining to height 128 would be filled by a horizontal metal trim. Think of it as a compromise: It would make the texture relatively easy to work with while looking close to the original rather than "wrong" like the 16 units tall downscaled version. Please?

I'd think that would actually make it quite a bit harder to work with, unless all of your rooms are 120 units tall or less, at which point brick alignment ought to be the least of your concerns.

purist said:

Hmm I remember asking if something like this existed a while ago on IRC when I started my megawad and was persuaded to just use the Plutonia IWAD instead as mass importing of other IWAD textures was considered a legal no no.

myk is not in power anymore so now it's ok
:D

esselfortium said:

I'd think that would actually make it quite a bit harder to work with, unless all of your rooms are 120 units tall or less, at which point brick alignment ought to be the least of your concerns.

Well, I meant this for other possible usages than wallpapering entire buildings in tall areas - the original bricks are somewhat sufficient for that purpose already. But perhaps bricky fences / low walls, building basements or detail-heavy ruins could use alignment-friendly bricks to work with.

I wondered if the "which textures are preferable" argument would come back. 'Better' is a subjective term and isn't applicable. Betamax had 'better' quality than VHS, but VHS became the standard. Some people swear by Linux and MacOS, but Windows has the market share. I suppose it comes down to what people use more.

Which leads me to the obvious question: the 32in24-15 texture pack is currently being used by ASS25 and 32in24-15 and contains the original Plutonia brick textures and also Jimmy's 'fixed' ones.

Which textures did people use?

i'm not really sure why there is a problem in the first case regarding the "fixed" textures being bad because they're not like the original. like, it's an alternative pack. it's optional. you can choose not to use it. i don't see any problem here.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Which textures did people use?

Why not use both (respectively all) of the variants available, as suitable to particular places in the map? I thought the point was not to establish objectively better/best variants, but to provide multiple variants to be used in different situations according to the mapper's needs. :)

scifista42 said:

Why not use both (respectively all) of the variants available, as suitable to particular places in the map? I thought the point was not to establish objectively better/best variants, but to provide multiple variants to be used in different situations according to the mapper's needs. :)

I agree. The more textures the better. I just got the impression you were concerned that the 'fixed' Plutonia brick textures, being easier to use and align with standard Doom textures, would supplant the originals and that mappers would trade some individuality and character in their maps for homogenized ease of use. Maybe I was reading it wrong.

BTW:

Took like 15 minutes. Scratch building is hard. Editing, not so bad.