Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Jaxxoon R said:

It puzzles me that Doom streamers that use facecams fail to take the opportunity to layer it over the hudface in the bottom of the screen.

Do any of them ever try to act out every time Doomguy gets hurt or makes the evil grin?

hex11 said:

stuff like flats on walls or illegal 0-tagged switch (allowed in ZDoom)

I remember first time I ran my still-in-progress map on Chocolate Doom, and the door didn’t open.

40oz said:

I want to kill mappers who make boom maps that use all vanilla linedef types except maybe one or two, so unless specified otherwise in the text file, I make the assumption that its for regular doom 2, play through 85% of the map, then wander around for 15 minutes wondering why the fuck that last switch didn't do anything.

My readiest-to-release WIP is set up this way, but I'm gonna specify it hard in the documentation that even though all the [regular] maps are executed in "Doom in Doom format", it is advised to run 'em with the limit-removing Boom engine instead.

(For one instance, one of the maps contain a sector-based rocket which makes both Vanilla and Chocolate lag and may crash Registered Doom, along with some places in another map full of 8x8 columns.)

My confessions:

-I've NEVER played a deathmatch doom multiplayer before. There tends to be alot of Megaman or Brutal doom servers, which most of the time are platforming and invasion maps.
-I dislike Doom 64 for the simple reason that the controls make me want to vomit (well actually, the controller itself makes me want to vomit).
-The only way I feel comfortable playing Doom 2 is with Simpson's doom activated.
-Whenever I play E3M8, I feel like quitting the game simply because I think the map looks awful.
-The only Doom tracks I especially like are Into the code, Nobody told me about ID, and In the city. The rest feel like half assed midis wipped up for the hell of having 36 levels. And besides, most of them are repeated.
-When I first played Doom, it was a complete nightmare because I had to download Doom 95, wait a total 10 minutes (At the time, my internet was awful), download the shareware, set up the controls 5 times, and half enjoy. Most of the time I used cheats. That was, until I learned of Skulltag, then Zdoom.
-I Hate the BFG for one reason: It's gigantic. It's so big in fact, part of the sprite was completely cut off because it took up most of the screen.
-I never played Heretic. BEAT THAT!
-When I use doom builder, I tend to use the UDMF format over hexen and Doom format because it seems much more flexible (I.E, Changable floor and ceiling texture offsets, individual linedef brightness, ect.).
-I never played Alien vendeta or Alien's TC.

There!

I cringe so hard at my old /idgames reviews...

I remember even calling a wad misogynistic without even knowing what the fuck it even meant.

God damn it.

Broken Pencil said:

-I dislike Doom 64 for the simple reason that the controls make me want to vomit (well actually, the controller itself makes me want to vomit).

Doom 64 EX exists.

Broken Pencil said:

-I never played Heretic. BEAT THAT!

Me neither, and only did some experimental runabout in Hexen quite some years ago.

I've been visiting these forums since (I think!) 2001. I've left a couple of times due to the 'drama' that's occasionally raised it's head here...

I haven't touched Doom since 29th July 2014, that's almost 6 months and I still haven't felt like playing it anymore.

Average said:

I've been visiting these forums since (I think!) 2001.

Good thing you mention it right here, 'cause for me in particular, I seriously don't know how old the Forums actually are.

I'm not sure exactly but I do remember the forum feeling quite young back then. Certainly most of the members were younger! :P

Perhaps around 2000 maybe? That'd be around 14-15 years.

1st May 2000 was the forum's start, according to the last page of Memberlist sorted by join date (disregard Julian):

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/memberlist.php?action=getall&what=datejoined<r=&perpage=50&orderby=joindate&ausername=&ahomepage=&aicq=&aaim=&ayahoo=&joindateafter=&joindatebefore=&lastpostafter=&lastpostbefore=&postslower=0&postsupper=0&direction=DESC&pagenumber=272
(I couldn't sort the list in ascending order, so I'm linking page 272, which is currently the last one)

Cell said:

My readiest-to-release WIP is set up this way, but I'm gonna specify it hard in the documentation that even though all the [regular] maps are executed in "Doom in Doom format", it is advised to run 'em with the limit-removing Boom engine instead.

(For one instance, one of the maps contain a sector-based rocket which makes both Vanilla and Chocolate lag and may crash Registered Doom, along with some places in another map full of 8x8 columns.)

Then make the very first door in MAP01 use a generalized linedef so I can catch the issue early on. It's mappers that use one generalized linedef or some kinda voodoo doll trickery very late in the map, so that the map works completely fine and normal otherwise until I can't progress any further for no explicable reason.

U.O.D. said:

For my entire childhood I played Doom using the arrow keys instead of the mouse.

Me too, but Doom 3 is hard to control with the arrow keys. I still play Doom and Doom II with the arrow keys, even in multiplayer mode versus other people who are using the mouse.

I only use GZDoom or Zandronum for mods. Otherwise I stick to Eternity.

I find most of E2 in the first Doom to be boring, but love E1 and E3.

I've never finished E4 of Ultimate Doom.

I make a lot of maps, but never upload them or even finish most of them because I'm never happy with how they turn out.

I can't code either. I've tried to learn and make weapons, but it never works, no matter how many tutorials I go through.

Brutal Doom is only fun for about 5 minutes at a time.

I feel that Doom desperately needs a remake. One that won't change gameplay, just give it some good graphics. Think of Black Mesa.

The Civ said:

I feel that Doom desperately needs a remake. One that won't change gameplay, just give it some good graphics. Think of Black Mesa.

"Good" graphics tend to slow down framerate when there are many objects on the scene. I personally like Doom as it is for the extremely high amount of architecture and enemies/things that can fit on the screen without ANY slowdown. Doom's graphics actually look good to me, I don't need any better at all, ever - of course that I appreciate them, but I'm disgusted at the first sign of framerate drop or jarring-ness, and I don't consider Doom's graphics to be any subpar-looking, not in the slightest. My confession. :)

scifista42 said:

"Good" graphics tend to slow down framerate when there are many objects on the scene. I personally like Doom as it is for the extremely high amount of architecture and enemies/things that can fit on the screen without ANY slowdown. Doom's graphics actually look good to me, I don't need any better at all, ever - of course that I appreciate them, but I'm disgusted at the first sign of framerate drop or jarring-ness, and I don't consider Doom's graphics to be any subpar-looking, not in the slightest. My confession. :)

I enjoy the original game's graphics as well, in fact I normally play Eternity engine. But I feel like a remake would get more people to play, and it just seems like it would be lots of fun to see the world of Doom in modern day graphics.

My confession is that, while I love playing Doom 2 megawads, I very rarely finish them; I generally get as far as MAP30, then quit as soon as the Icon of Sin fight rears its head.

TheOrganGrinder said:

My confession is that, while I love playing Doom 2 megawads, I very rarely finish them; I generally get as far as MAP30, then quit as soon as the Icon of Sin fight rears its head.

Relatively lot of experienced Doomers dislike IOS maps up to the point of deliberately not playing them. :) (I'm not one of these, though.)

scifista42 said:

Relatively lot of experienced Doomers dislike IOS maps up to the point of deliberately not playing them. :) (I'm not one of these, though.)

I play them once or twice, but not as serious as I would the rest of the maps.

scifista42 said:

Relatively lot of experienced Doomers dislike IOS maps up to the point of deliberately not playing them.

Count me in. I have yet to beat IOS; the big breakthrough in the last couple of years was to realise that I never will because I'm not going to try anymore, and that's fine.

scifista42 said:

Relatively lot of experienced Doomers dislike IOS maps up to the point of deliberately not playing them.

I can relate to that. Most of IoS are actually dull. It’s just a concept that has been overplayed.

And I have a confession to made. I realized that I never played a custom map to “Heretic.” It was my first FPS and a few years back I even made a re-run of first three episodes but I don’t return to this game. So there is no occasion to play any map.

Well the concept of fighting a Cyber Demon/Spider Mastermind as a boss or final monster has been overplayed as well, quite a few things have been overplayed basically.

Avoozl said:

Well the concept of fighting a Cyber Demon/Spider Mastermind as a boss or final monster has been overplayed as well, quite a few things have been overplayed basically.

Indeed.

Avoozl said:

Tru dat. But Cyberdemon/Spidey gives more room for invention.

On the other hand, the game turnt twenty one in December last year, so maybe it shouldn’t be that surprising. I guess, I just don’t fall for Icon of Sin in a first place. Which is my confession.

I get a little offended when people talk about PSX DOOM.

IMO, they should hang out on the Sony PlayStation forums, and not only be limited to DOOM but also freely be able to discuss such titles as Digimon Rumble Arena, Ape Escape, and Need For Speed 4 - High Stakes.