Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

ROP 2015: Finished!

The Realm of Parthoris - 2015: A Heretic Community Project
Welcome to The Realm of Parthoris, the fantasy world in which Heretic takes place. This project aims to create a community based Heretic episode by the end of 2015. A texture pack of 500 textures and flats has been carefully compiled to compliment and expand upon Heretic’s fantasy setting.

DOWNLOAD:
The Realm of Parthoris (Final)

==Levels==

E1M1: Cragskull by The Cupboard
E1M2: The Magistrates Tomb by General Rainbow Bacon
E1M3: The Reservoir by Obsidian
E1M4: Fossilized by The Cupboard
E1M5: Blistering Catacombs by Egregor
E1M6: Grimoire Haeresis by SYS
E1M7: Arcane Corridor by Du Mhan Yhu
E1M8: Profanum Sanctum by 19Wraith
E1M9: Nightstone Hollow by Obsidian

E2M1: System Shutdown by General Rainbow Bacon

==Music==

The Realm of Parthoris (title): Alfonzo

E1M1: Plasma by Ilkallio
E1M2: The Avenger's Domain by Doom Huntress
E1M3: Gutter Penny by Alfonzo
E1M4: Skeleton by Ilkallio
E1M5: The Occultist by Eris Falling
E1M6: Saboteur by Alfonzo
E1M7: Mystic Tides by Alfonzo
E1M8: Crystal Embers by Doom Huntress
E1M9: Plasma by Lee Jackson

E2M1: Oracle Night by Alfonzo

Project Leader:
Egregor

Texture and sprite support:
scifista42
Vermil
Xaser

Title Picture:
Voltcom9

Credit Picture:
Gez

Updates
Final will include several small bug fixes, a title screen and theme, and MAPINFO.

Pictures

Rules
-Vanilla Heretic, limit removing (not Heretic in Hexen format).
-Designed for wand (pistol) start.
-Difficulties implemented by final release.
-All completed maps should be posted in this thread with a URL.

Suggestions
-Levels should be medium sized. Limit of 200 enemies per map. No magnum opuses!
-The Realm of Parthoris texture pack has been used.
-New music is highly encouraged, but not necessary.

Schedule
-Alpha submissions: February-April (3 months)
-Alpha compilation release: May-June (my bad!)
-Beta submissions: July-August (2 months)
-Beta compilation release: September
-Final testing/balancing: September-October (2 months)
-Final release: November

ROP Texture Pack (v4)

Fantasy Place Themes
A great way to approach the theme of your level could be to base it on a fantasy place (or three).

Settlements
-City/Town/Village
-Under City/Sewers
-Inn/Tavern
-Manor/Mansion/Palace
-Docks/Lighthouse/Ship
-Plaza/Market
-Library
-Warehouse

Fortresses
-Castle/Fortress/Citadel
-Keep/Barracks/Stronghold
-Dungeon/Prison
-Tower(s)
-Military Outpost/Gatehouse

Ceremonial
-Temple/Church
-Sanctuary/Monastery/Abbey
-Crypt/Catacombs
-Cemetery/Burial Ground
-Ancient Ruins

Wilderness
-Mountain/Pass
-Volcano
-Chasm/Canyon/Valley
-Cave/Cavern/Mines
-Forest
-Logging Camp/Mill
-Island(s)/Coast
-Swamp/Marsh/Bog
-Desert
-River/Lake/Waterfall
-Long House/Hut(s)/Cottage(s)
-Farmstead
-Bridge(s)
-Frozen/Snow Covered

Other Dimensions (secret levels?!)
-Hell Dimension
-Void Dimension (floating islands)

Appendix N: Inspiration
-Curse of D'Sparil (2010) http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/heretic/Ports/curse.zip
-Heretic Treasure Chest (2010) http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/htchest.zip
-Icebound (2011) http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/heretic/Ports/ice-lutz.zip
-Masters of Chaos (2012) http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/moc11.zip
-HYMN: A Heretic Community Project (2013) http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/hymn.zip
-Dark Deity's Bastion (2011) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/bastion
-Call of the Apostate (2011) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/heretic/Ports/apostate

Soo, did you want to use my map I sent you? It was an utter bitch getting the Gothic textures to work with it, but if you really want me to I can change them.

Your level is great Obsidian! I would love to see it included in ROP. To make the project consistent I am asking everyone to use the texture pack. Though I am not saying that the Gothic textures you included look bad, they actually look great, even with the palette change over.

Why don't you see if those gothic textures can be replaced with equivalent ROP texture pack stuff. You have the better part of a year do it. If you still can't make it work let me know.

It is possible that a few custom textures will get included with the alpha compilation as well. Right now the primary example of this is new Skies.

Inkie said:

A 300+ texture pack sounds really overwhelming.

*looks at cc4tex
*has over 1000 textures

Heh, 300 isn't so bad :P

Inkie said:

Really? IWADs already have hundreds of textures, and many versatile texture packs tend to be much bigger, such as BTSX, cc4-tex, TNT:Revilution... This ROP pack looks good, though.

Inkie said:

Heretic only has 100 textures/flats. If we add the ROP texture pack it brings the total up to (505) textures/flats. In comparison, vanilla Doom II has 428 textures/flats, so I think it will be okay. ;)

Turns out this didn't take a year. Huh.

Downl0ad.

Here's a revised version of The Reservoir with almost all of the Gothic resources replaced by ones from the texture pack. There are a few textures and flats however that I can't find suitable replacements for in the pack: is it alright if I keep those in please?

Also I need to put in difficulty settings. That might take a year. :P

Obsidian said:
There are a few textures and flats however that I can't find suitable replacements for in the pack: is it alright if I keep those in please?

If this is the case I can add them in. I will raid the Gothic Textures (including all of the remaining ones here) and update the ROP texture pack.

UPDATED

Some textures in the pack have width that is not a power of two. Using them will cause visual glitches. Can you fix their widths, please?

Nice texture compilation. I've worked with at least half of them (the ones by esselfortium and rottking) on a ZDaemon co-op project which we are just about finished compiling..

I might be able to create something for this project. Just need some inspiration and finish business.

Egregor said:
-Levels should be medium sized. Limit of 200 enemies per map. No magnum opuses!

Appendix N: Inspiration
-Curse of D'Sparil (2010)
-Heretic Treasure Chest (2010)
-Icebound (2011)
-Masters of Chaos (2012)
-HYMN: A Heretic Community Project (2013)

Medium sized maps are my favorite size. Not too short not too long. You can shove 200+ enemies in a small level if you do it right.

I always thought it best for an eight level wad to have the first level be small, the second level be medium, the third level be somewhere in between, the fourth level be larger than map 2 the fifth level be larger still, the sixth level be somewhere between map 4 and map 2, level 7 should be the longest still and level 8 should be a simple boss arena.

I always thought this level was a bit of an orphan. Someone needs to use it as a secret level maybe. If you can get permission from the author.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/cookies.zip

I also thought this level needed an episode built around it. Again you will need permissions.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/a-c/crypts.zip

And this map set has some good moments, not the best, but I keep it on my hard drive.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/Ports/hfruit_h.zip

Tormentor667 said:

Why not finishing one community project before starting another similar one?
http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/kunena/hpack-demonic-uprising

Did you really have to go this low Tormentor? REALLY? Shamelessly advertisting your project in someone's project thread? REALLY!? You will not gain any new people to help you with YOUR project by doing this, instead you will scare away any potential newcomers, because they'll see that you are SO DESPERATE and unable to finish things on your own that they will simply not bother joining. So stop it, you are only digging your own grave in this community. If people wanted to help you finish it, they would have done it long time ago, but there must be reasons that they haven't. With that kind of attitude, you are a hollow shell of who you used to be, back in 00s.

Anyway on topic, I might contribute a map because I haven't made a heretic map in years, might be fun to do one for this CP.

Torm made a perfectly valid point imo. It is obvious that interest in Heretic mapping isn't very high, so if Heretic lovers want to actually get a finished community project, it might be more beneficial for them to join forces instead of starting more projects. To me it looks like Torm just wants to see a Heretic megawad done because he is passionate about the game.

Some time ago i considered joining hpack, but since then i realized i'm not as skilled as mapper as it need to be to make a map noteworty for that project. Also it has a LOT of custom stuff in addition to the UMDF format that i didn't found really user friendly (at least i found it really confusing to use when i tryied to use it after being used to the Hexen format).

One could argue that Blasphemer need some love too, but they are different project with different goals, since this particular one aim for vanilla\limit removing compatibility without any other additional stuff. Ok, now i can stop being OT.

Count on me - gonna be a fun time to make a Heretic map at the first time in my Doom carreer!

EDIT: this attitude:

alterworldruler said:

So stop it, you are only digging your own grave in this community. If people wanted to help you finish it, they would have done it long time ago, but there must be reasons that they haven't. With that kind of attitude, you are a hollow shell of who you used to be, back in 00s.

...is f&ckin unnecessary here though.

HPack and RoP have very different goals -- the former has new monsters and gzdoom stuffs (and maybe weapon mods? If they're still in), and the latter's more classic-y, so they're likely to attract different mappers for that reason.

Tormentor667 said:

Why not finishing one community project before starting another similar one?
http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/kunena/hpack-demonic-uprising

I feel Torm brings up a fair point. But yeah, I agree with Xaser here. HPack seems to me to be for advanced mappers, while ROP is general enough to include intermediate and even beginner mappers. The size of ROP, each maps within, and the time frame, are all likely to be shorter than HPack.

If you want my opinion on HPack release it in 9 level episodes. This could be done once each year, give or take. Each release could also include balance/bug fixes from the previous years episode. Doing this would create short term release goals, as well as get folks playing the maps, thus generating interest in contributing to more maps down the road.

Dododamian said:

Can you use another texture resource wad with this one included?

At this point; no. With 500 textures to choose from there should be enough textures to make most any idea work. Hopefully this isn't a deal breaker for you. Make sure you have version 3 of the texture pack as about 100 textures/flats were added to it.

Egregor said:

I feel Torm brings up a fair point. But yeah, I agree with Xaser here. HPack seems to me to be for advanced mappers, while ROP is general enough to include intermediate and even beginner mappers. The size of ROP, each maps within, and the time frame, are all likely to be shorter than HPack.

If you want my opinion on HPack release it in 9 level episodes. This could be done once each year, give or take. Each release could also include balance/bug fixes from the previous years episode. Doing this would create short term release goals, as well as get folks playing the maps, thus generating interest in contributing to more maps down the road.

At this point; no. With 500 textures to choose from there should be enough textures to make most any idea work. Hopefully this isn't a deal breaker for you. Make sure you have version 3 of the texture pack as about 100 textures/flats were added to it.

K tks for telling me as Im making a sewer map called The Mirrored Sewers which im 55% done so far for this project.

Egregor said:

Rules
-Vanilla Heretic, limit removing (not Heretic in Hexen format).

So, what is the official source port that we are encouraged to test our maps with? It's obviously neither ZDoom, nor Chocolate Heretic.