Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoodie

Doom has been lagging lately.

So like, I've had GZDoom for about 2 years now, everything has been smooth and fine, I haven't changed anything. Then all of a sudden today the game is lagging like crazy. I'm trying to find out why but nothing seems to be making sense as to why Doom it becomes choppy all of a sudden.

I'm really only posting this here to ask if anyone else has had an issue like this before and could help me figure it out?

Something that seems silly but might work is downloading GZDoom again, but I really don't want to mess with my doom folder.

For me, GZDoom just stopped rendering altogether. I didn't do any driver updates and I don't get this problem with any other game or older versions of GZDoom (copies I have circa 2011).

Turn off automatic updates on your antivirus software. These things have a habit of updating their definitions at the most inconvenient times. Better yet, disable antivirus altogether when you're not browsing the internet. edit: And I don't mean right clicking an icon and selecting "exit" or "disable", I mean actually removing the thing altogether from the list of start-up programs on your operating system to make sure it isn't running in the background.

GZDoom can make use of a lot of your computer's processing power. Even some 2000-era games can run fine on a computer with no lag while GZDoom will push things to the limit.

FuzzballFox said:

Do other games lag at all? What mode are you using- OGL/Software?
Installed any drivers for GPU recently etc

No, like I can play diablo 3 just fine.

Software.

I had to redownload my nvidia driver because of windows 8.1 a while back, but that's not the issue.

Restart your computer. I, as a laptop user, have a habit to always set it to sleep mode, but then some programs eventually slow down, for example Doom Builder's 3D mode.

scifista42 said:

Restart your computer. I, as a laptop user, have a habit to always set it to sleep mode, but then some programs eventually slow down, for example Doom Builder's 3D mode.

Hey I noticed that too, I just thought it was because I finally started making complex maps.

Also this worked.