Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smoke_th

Impes Development

Alright, so, basiclaly.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9288177/Textures/Impes_preview.PNG
Impes (alphastage Hellraiser) is a Unity3d framework, which loads, parses and builds UDMF levels (with some compromises, like usage of internal polyobjects rather than sector floors movement - everything aside from polyobjects is mostly static(i guess you can disable walls)).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9288177/Impes/SwitchTest.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9288177/Impes/DoorTest2.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9288177/Impes/Animations_test.gif

Additionaly it loads DECORATE (either for just creating coordinates for your own things to plug in via engine or to load state trees etc).
Here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqAOdquZww

UPG 1:
Here's a progress on demo game which demonstrates features of Impes, and it's sources will be shipped with it when it's done.
http://youtu.be/inugOCXcg4I

Pretty cool! Isn't it going to be a long run, if you wanted to add support for everything UDMF has? Anyway, wish you good luck!

I am confuse. Is this for making UDMF levels for source ports to run or is it a Unity thing that edits/runs UDMF levels with fancy polyobject thingies?

Whatever it is you're doing, it looks really cool.

Like the rest, I'd like to know the ultimate goal, here. Is it to run at least vanilla-level maps, to make Doom-like maps easily within Unity? Or something entirely different?

scifista42 said:

Pretty cool! Isn't it going to be a long run, if you wanted to add support for everything UDMF has? Anyway, wish you good luck!

zdoom's features != UDMF. UDMF is a file format, not a map specification. The actual "features" of a UDMF map could be anything from vanilla to gzdoom to whatever you have. Impes is using the format, but with it's own set of features.

jmickle66666666 said:

zdoom's features != UDMF. UDMF is a file format, not a map specification. The actual "features" of a UDMF map could be anything from vanilla to gzdoom to whatever you have. Impes is using the format, but with it's own set of features.

Well let me put it like that. Basic geometry features of doom map formats+slopes are there.
But they are static because, well, unity3d. Hence why i added "polyobjects" (i guess i shouldn't call em like that, maybe brush chunks instead?) which act just like you would expect from movable quake bsp brushes.

The idea behind the project is to let others use udmf (and by extent doom builder) as a generic map format for prototyping, and, in case of indie project - for full scale mapping.

On the subject of renaming (yeah, brush chunks is better than polyobjects), have you considered something other than Impes? You're gonna be constantly compared to the other thing.

jmickle66666666 said:

I understand, thanks. How do I make a map in UDMF format without using "ZDoom : Doom in UDMF format" in a map editor? (which automatically gives me ZDoom features, which I perhaps don't want)

I believe only Eternity and ZDoom can use UDMF at the moment, and I'm even unsure about Eternity. Basically, the map editor needs to be set up to export for a certain set of features.

Doombuilder and GZDoombuilder can't export to a different set of features since they haven't been programmed to do so. There would essentially be no use in there being a "blank" UDMF format because no port uses that. For Impes development smoke_fumus is using the zdoom exporter and ignoring any data that he doesn't require. Eventually a seperate version of doom builder will be made to specifically support Impes.

I hope this helps, its a complex topic

DMGUYDZ64 said:

It looks good so far,but what the hell is wrong with that Door :o, Could be useful ..

[20:45:03] <CSGWork> <door> fuck this I'm out

Jaxxoon R said:

I'm seeing a few updates in the GZD Builder thread on Zdoom, but little here. C'mon man, don't leave us hangin'.

I guess that's what he meant with his previous reply :(

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I guess that's what he meant with his previous reply :(

SHOO.

Here, one of the lower res tests - went well - were testing movement/jump percentages. right now making use of voxel models.

This is an amazing endeavor! I'd like to echo what jmickle said about perhaps renaming the project, though - I first read the title as 'Impse Development' and was half expecting a joke thread.

I'll definitely use this for prototyping if I ever get into Unity.

Though, you know all the people going on about how the name looks like impse? Are you sure you want this "Impes" name or are you willing to change?

I suggest:

Misery (Pun on Unity, because misery loves company, also callback to Doom in how it's a lone sinister word)

Tarnation (Old west slang, short for "Eternal Damnation")

UDMapFacilitate (Silly Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness would make it show up first in Google)

DunityBuilder (Take a guess)

Unity-Doom Mapping Fulcrum (I'm out of ideas)

Jerbitty Fribbob (Nope, now I'm officially out)

I hope the name stays. Those who wanted to find similarities would find them, those who didn't would not.