Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RUSH

How do you think the survivors died? Did they die?

Throughout the original Doom 3 campaign there were several survivors encountered that were never shown to die on screen or anywhere else. Their status on the wiki is listed as “unknown.” The end of the game shows Doomguy being the only human rescued, but perhaps he was just the first found? After all, the other survivors were all in difficult to reach places and well hidden. This makes me wonder, did they die – and if so, how do you think the demons got to them?

Yes, I’m aware that the beginning of Resurrection of Evil states there were no other survivors, but that was an idea written after the original game. I always thought it would have been cool to see other survivors during the end cinematic for Doom 3, or perhaps a “Saw 7” style introduction for RoE that showed the survivors seeking treatment for trauma and shock. Assuming they died, here’s how I think it would have gone down:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Roland

The first survivor encountered. He seems well hidden and should have survived, but my guess is that a trite found its way into the vent shaft from another sector and tore him to pieces. Still, I like to think he lived.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Larry_Kaczynski

This guy basically locked himself in a windowless room with plenty of firearms and ammunition. I have no idea how he could have died – possibly the most protected of all survivors. Maybe left safety room to investigate outside noises and was shredded by an imp (I don’t think he was even aware that a demonic invasion was taking place.) Assuming he didn’t leave, I also like to think he survived.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Michaels

Found studying an imp in the Delta Labs. I say he accidently brought the imp back to life, resulting in his face being devoured Hannibal-style.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/George_Krietman

Another dude that was oblivious to the demonic invasion. Probably crushed by the blast shield behind him due to a demonic “malfunction.”

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Ian_McCormick

One of the original scientists studying the Soul Cube artifact. He’s found sitting in a completely open room, somehow alive despite the death and chaos occurring all around him. Probably a demon walked in on his ass and bent him over. Nasty way to go folks, I hear them demons can be real rough.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Pierce_Rodgers

Another scientist studying the soul cube. Like Larry, he locks himself in a room – only it has a window. Maybe a vagary used telekinesis to throw one of those spike balls through the window, killing him.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/J._Katayama

The last survivor encountered, and (in my opinion) the safest of all. You have to scale down an enormous boiler room drop to finally find him huddled in a corner under some pipes. Maybe the noise made by talking with him in combination with the lowered safety ladder (to get back out) attracts a flying cacodemon that engulfs his upper body, dismembering him. I like to think he survived though, as his position was just too well hidden.

All in all, Doom 3 could have benefited from some friendly AI, fighting alongside somebody else (even if only for one level) would have been a blast. The game felt a little too sparse and lonely, but I guess that was the point.

Maybe they are zombies killed by normal (Not infected) Humans ,or Humans killed by other monsters like in most of movies the best (Skilled) guys survive ..

RUSH said:

All in all, Doom 3 could have benefited from some friendly AI, fighting alongside somebody else (even if only for one level) would have been a blast. The game felt a little too sparse and lonely, but I guess that was the point.

There are 3 occasions in Doom 3 where you fight alongside a Sentry Bot. It wasn't really "a blast", instead I've found it a bit boring (the opposition wasn't even increased in those areas). IMO, Doom only benefits from the fact that you're alone.

On topic, I imagine that monsters found their way to each of the survivors. Either by a vent shaft (trites, maggots, imps), tearing a door apart (imps, hellknights), teleporting in (imps, hellknights, archviles), crawling through hard terrain like the Doomguy did (zombies, maggots, imps, flying monsters), or they were found and zombified by more "demon spirits" as seen at the beginning of the game.

Some of the experiments conducted on the martian base resulted in the outbreak of a terrible disease. There were no survivors.

Shaviro said:

There were no survivors.

There was also no "disease" either...

scifista42 said:

There are 3 occasions in Doom 3 where you fight alongside a Sentry Bot. It wasn't really "a blast", instead I've found it a bit boring

I agree that the sentry bot segments were pretty lame, which is why I think it would have been cool to fight alongside Bravo Team for a mission surrounded by hellknights and such. It would have been a lot better than the sentry moments anyway. I think successfully implemented human AI could have made the game a lot more memorable.

Well, RoE does state that there were no other survivors other than the player character. However, according to the wiki A Marine and scientist survived The Lost Missions, but maybe their survival wasn't well documented or kept a secret, hence the name "Lost Missions." I think it'd be safe to say the only other survivors of the first game was the crew of that starship and that guy who was waiting to board it.

RUSH said:

I agree that the sentry bot segments were pretty lame, which is why I think it would have been cool to fight alongside Bravo Team for a mission surrounded by hellknights and such.

It worked in Q4, but I don't thnk it would really work in D3.

RUSH said:

There was no "disease" either...

Duh...

"The Union Aerospace Corporation is the largest corporate entity in existence." ... "With unlimited funds and the ability to engage in research outside of moral and legal limitations the UAC controls the most advanced technology ever conceived."

Sounds like a company that would love to have lots of survivors running around telling everybody about their technology opening a gate to an extremely hostile dimension, killing off almost the entire population on the martian bases and nearly reaching earth.

While I don't really think id software intended it with their rushjob ending, the obvious answer would be that the UAC alongside the arriving fleet covered it up as some sort of accident that wasn't related to what would be extremely controversial and spell doom (get it?) for the company. Survivors were not beneficial.

Survivors ?
I just shoot anything i see while it is in range of the gun.
They all die like vampires burning to dust.

Now im hungry for roasted chicken...