Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

DOOM 3 is a Classic game ?

DOOM 3 was released back to 2004 as we all know,does it mean people are considering it as a Classic game since it's 11 years old ? Or they're just "addicted" to it's High Quality,what makes people calling a game classic anyway ?

Because I love the game it will always be classic to me. In general, the game got great reviews upon release and sold millions of copies. DOOM is a classic household name in the first person shooter genre so naturally Doom 3 gets lumped together with 1 and 2 in that "regarded as classic" sense, even if it wasn't as good.

It pushed the boundaries for graphics and set a new standard at the time. Together with Half Life 2 (and others) I would say they are definitely important to that time period and being 11 years old now, absolutely classic.

It's only classic because its gameplay stays true to actual classic Doom's. It's the same deal: you have to survive until the exit. If you die, you have to start over (or from the last save). It doesn't hold your hand but doesn't care much about you either. Sadly it's not as successful as the old Dooms.

An example of a serious structural problem: the bulk of its custom content is stored on Filefront, which last time I tried doesn't even work in my country and many others! Has anyone mirrorred Doom 3's maps and mods elsewhere?

Too many mods are way too ambitious for my taste. I don't need total conversions. I just want more Doom. With me, the guns, demons and PDA stories. Not turn me into some knight or detective or fairytale hero or what have you.

Doom 3 total conversions are far and few between compared to all the other content. Have you tried:

- The Sigma Core
- Fragging Free
- X-Mas Mod (More of a joke mod but fun as hell)
- Serengrove
- Genetic
- Tested
- Hellgate
- The Ultimate Hell Campaign
- The Skeletal Passage
- Omega Research Facility
- Lost Facility
- Hell Island

And literally dozens of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think RUSH explained it pretty clearly.

For some people, it's just the age of it. For others it was an instant classic because they liked it so much.

I loved the game, and I still play through it occasionally, maybe once a year or so. To me that's what makes a game a classic, that I will go back and play it even though I know pretty much everything in the campaign, but I'd still rather do that than swallow some cookie cutter new game. It was unique, it stood out from the crowd. It wasn't Doom With Better Graphics, so some people hated it, but it was a good game.

i thought the game was pretty fun on my Xbox, even though the framerate was horribly choppy and most of the level content was cut out or condensed. i tried replaying the game on my PC sometime ago, but turned it off in about 20 minutes or so. i dunno, maybe i should give it a more honest try... or play RoE instead.

RoE was great, certainly an improvement over the main game but unfortunately it was just too short.

Doom 3 is still one of the few games I've finished fully. RoE I have yet to beat the boss. My computer wasn't very good back then and it lagged a lot. I still play D3 on the Xbox and PC every once in a while, so it's a classic in a sense.

Definitions of "Classic": http://www.thefreedictionary.com/classic

It seems to be an unclear term, and more subjective than objective one, and therefore it's going to be a vague discussion whether Doom 3 fits the description or not.

I definitely wouldn't consider Doom 3 to be a "classic" game only based on its age. To me, it's clear that there are old games not considered to be a classic.

Doom 3 wasn't actually that much pioneering as its precedessors were, it's following the model of Half Life, which was also already there. On the other hand, "pioneering" something is not a mandatory condition of "classic".

I personally don't consider Doom 3 to be iconic enough to be a "classic". That makes me want to say that it's not a classic. But I also have to consider its roots, though, the mere fact that it's a part of a known franchise in combination with the fact that there are people who still occasionally play and care about it. At least on this forum, judging all the discussions happening here over years, and even mapping and modding, although in a lesser extent than the "classic" Doom games from the 90's get.

I've first tried Doom 3 around 2005 already, but never fully played through until rediscovering the game in 2010. I've played through it multiple times since, though. It does have a certain appeal, and it does even make me feel nostalgic about it, however odd it may sound.

I'd let it open as a too vague question to be proven right or wrong. But I'm more inclined to admit that it's not a classic. From another point of view, everything is a classic, as long as it's old enough and has a value for someone. I'm confused about it myself.

RUSH said:

Doom 3 total conversions are far and few between compared to all the other content. Have you tried:

Don't forget Daikatana 2.

Look at these fools grumbling away like empty stomachs. They would have to have no souls to not so much as chuckle at something so stupid.