Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anarkavre

Wickland

Avoozl said:

Nexuiz was like a mixture between Q3A and UT also.

Good thing it lives on in the form of Xonotic. I have little interest in the Nexuiz reboot, it just doesn't look like the same game (because it isn't).

I shy away from descriptions like its an indie arena shooter. Yeah so? I thought first person shooter was a genre not indie. Is an overhead shooter or isometric? Why not say its a $5 CD.

Great graphics and aesthetics. Relatively appealing level design at first glance. Fun looking action (also, wall jump!). Interesting gimmick with the morphing, seems fun. The lack of multiple means of attack per class is displeasing, though. In addition, no singleplayer = nothing for me.

Looks like I own it. Not sure how I do, but I do.

geo said:

I shy away from descriptions like its an indie arena shooter. Yeah so? I thought first person shooter was a genre not indie. Is an overhead shooter or isometric? Why not say its a $5 CD.

Once they used to call those indie things free games made by a hobbyists. and only a few got sold while the rest where free for all.
Now they sell them without a publisher behind them so they became indie developers using big publishing platforms like steam to publish them... lol.

FireFish said:

Once they used to call those indie things free games made by a hobbyists. and only a few got sold while the rest where free for all.
Now they sell them without a publisher behind them so they became indie developers using big publishing platforms like steam to publish them... lol.

I'm just growing to hate the word indie. Have a publisher? Still indie. Published by EA, ATLUS or UBIsoft? Still fall under indie. Get crowd funded? Still indie. Outsource your workload to a Korean studio with 100 - 200 people? Still indie.

RUSH said:

Quake + Skyrim + Heretic + Hexen? This I like.

I played through Enclave. It felt like Quake meets Oblivion. I loved it.

geo said:

I'm just growing to hate the word indie. Have a publisher? Still indie. Published by EA, ATLUS or UBIsoft? Still fall under indie. Get crowd funded? Still indie. Outsource your workload to a Korean studio with 100 - 200 people? Still indie.

To me, indie means small team that largely created their project with little financial support. Can you explain in more detail what's so bad about smaller teams taking advantage of what they can, commercially?

Sodaholic said:

To me, indie means small team that largely created their project with little financial support. Can you explain in more detail what's so bad about smaller teams taking advantage of what they can, commercially?

It just seems less independent if they have EA, UBIsoft or ATLUS as a publisher. Its just a word usage thing that irks me. I wish there was a different word for it.

wikipedia said:
Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support.

"Without video game publisher financial support." Going by this definition, it means that they can have a publisher, and they can do whatever they want, to be still referred to as indie. On the other hand:

the article also said:

There is no exact widely accepted definition of what constitutes an "indie game". However, indie games generally share certain characteristics. [...]

So the word's meaning can be bent to an extent, simply for the sake of a trend of being referred to as "indie". That's not good.

scifista42 said:

So the word's meaning can be bent to an extent, simply for the sake of a trend of being referred to as "indie". That's not good.

Indie is the 'all natural' of the game world.

Nice art style, pity about it being Multiplayer though... when I play overseas matches my ping is pretty terrible, and South Africans only play CoD and Counter Strike.

Seeing as how I mysteriously own it, I'll take a hit for you guys and report. Expect another thread bumping months later like the Daikatana thread I took over.

edit: 900 MB uh boy.

I'm going into this blind. I know ya'all said Hexen RPG and I visited the web page, but didn't get far into the description before I unleashed my rant.

You don't switch weapons, you switch characters. Like the default is a crossbow crusader that shoots like a machine gun. There's a black lagoon style monster instead of a 5th weapon and a vampire lord that throws fireballs from his hands as weapon 6. Its an interesting way of doing things. You can see your character roster up at the top. Some seem to have alt fires and others don't. Maybe I just haven't found the alt fire ammo.

I think the biggest problem is no one is playing. Even overseas. 9 people including myself. Maybe later there will be more. There's a single player practice mode that starts you against 2 bots. You can add bots from the pause menu.

The game has an easy to use browse server with 10 servers across the globe.

There are 6 maps. The keys aren't rebindable, but they feel like Doom keys. There are jump plates, extra weapons and everything goes 100 mph, which is a good thing. It feels familiar. While I haven't spent too much time in all the maps they all feel like they have a good first and second floor with overlooks.

FOV goes to 150. Game looks great, performs great, even at the highest settings.

It uses the UDK 3 engine as some of you already know.

Back in I go. If there are any questions, feel free to ask. There's just not much to keep me in here right now.

I played 2 more hours. There's just nothing keeping me in the game. Now that I've figured everything out, there's just nothing here. Its the same game now that it was 2 hours ago. Just point and shoot. I now understand the monster health = armor. When the monster health is gone, the monster is gone. You need to get it again. So that weapon is gone.

I also figured out the lizard can be invisible and melee attack. Problem is everything moves so fast. Its still viable to be invisible, but it depletes ammunition.

It is all death match. Against 4 players. It doesn't feel like skill wins so much as who can put in more ammo.