Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

MAP30's IoS wall is broken

And I'm not referring to the fact that it's "broken up" into 6 sectors, I mean the left third of the picture was screwed up by Sandy accidentally moving some vertices 8 units too far to the left. This causes the leftmost 8 columns to repeat between the first and second thirds of the picture. This can most obviously be seen with a brown metal gap between one of the horns and where it connects to the icon's head.

Things about Doom you've just found out?

Obviously a mistake on Sandy Petersen's part, nothing more than yet another misalignment. :)

scifista42 said:

Things about Doom you've just found out?

Ah, whoops, my bad. I need to get my act together, my last few posts haven't reflected the quality I'd like to demonstrate.

scifista42 said:

Obviously a mistake on Sandy Petersen's part, nothing more than yet another misalignment. :)

Less of a texture misalignment and more of a geometry misalignment. The wall was clearly built to be in 256-wide segments, but the leftmost one is 264-wide. There's another vertex 8 units off on the western wall.

RUSH said:

You've only just noticed this now?

I kind of hate the map so I usually don't play it. So yes, I noticed it just yesterday.

Sodaholic said:

Less of a texture misalignment and more of a geometry misalignment.

Still nothing unusual. Absolute majority of misalignments in the IWADs is caused by incompetent geometry that doesn't match the texture's tiling. The fact that the IOS texture is big, and only used on 1 place in the game, doesn't change the principle. ;)

Someone pointed out that walls in Wolfenstein are misaligned a while back, too. DoomEd probably didn't have that useful line length text (or Sandy just didn't pay attention to it, heh), and things like this would be pretty easy to overlook.

Hold on just a second...How the heck can anything be misaligned in Wolfenstein? All the geometry is tile-based and orthogonal.