Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

dfasfasddas Apple

Is it possible to add a book to an iPad without erasing every fucking movie, song and photo? Why does this shit iTunes suck so much? Why can't I just add and remove stuff as I want? Can't they make a good program if they have so many moneys?

What happened? Did it do an update and wiped your stuff?

Anyway it's your fault for buying Apple.

There are alternative programs i think. I've never owned an iPad but winamp has a plugin that lets you very easily drag and drop music into and off your iPod. I'd assume there are existing things for iPads by now.

Whatever happened to simply copying a bunch of files (which should be all that there is to "transferring content")?

I think the purpose of itunes is to sync all your devices, meaning its making the assumption that your computer, iPad, iPod, iPhone, and MacBook all have the same media on it at all times, instead of one of then having that new album you bought, or another having just those movies. It keeps everything "in sync" with each other. It's a simple user interface if you're a basic bitch but it fucking sucks if you like customization or have no use for more than one apple product.

Somewhere in in the clouds exists my music collection. But, itunes always seems to shit the bed when I open it. Thus, I've been relying on youtube for music.

I also still have the CDs; they've been collecting dust since 2005.

You can tell iTunes not to sync to your device and let you manage what files are on it directly. Doing so is still horrible, but it beats trying to figure out what will happen next time it syncs.

iTunes alone is a good reason to buy Android devices. When I want something on my phone or my tablet I just add it to the correct folder like my device is a USB stick.

That's due punishment for buying hardware from the worst computer company in the world.

Which reminds me of my sister, who, years ago owned an iPod and was so scared of losing stuff that she refusted to have it connected to ANY computer except her own.

She switched to a non-Apple product as soon as it was feasible and never ever bought an iDevice ever again...

Apple is far from the worst computer company. The worst companies are the shady PC vendors that manage to charge as much as Apple while providing a tiny fraction of the support and faulty builds. Dad developed a knack for buying from those when I wasn't looking. Maybe it worked out for the best. I learned more about hardware that way.

An Apple computer running Windows or Linux isn't terrible to use (after you replace the mouse). Sure, it's a stupid idea because of the cost and limited options, but it's far from the worst you can have.

Maes said:

Whatever happened to simply copying a bunch of files (which should be all that there is to "transferring content")?

Apple happened.

Maes said:

The lack of ability to do that on iProducts is a major beef of mine. That alone would be reason enough not to get one. However, even if they did address that issue, there are others that would also be deal breakers for me.

Back when I still had an iPad, I think I used a program called iExplorer for file management so that I didn't have to use iTunes. Seemed to work okay for me, so you could always check that out.

http://goo.gl/Ebsgpv

iTunes alone is a good reason to buy Android devices. When I want something on my phone or my tablet I just add it to the correct folder like my device is a USB stick.

Truth. I'm too dumb to get iTunes working and all alternatives I've tried were as cumbersome (iExplorer rings a bell). In the end, any advantage an Apple device might have over the competition is not worth the trouble. You shouldn't need to be a computer engineer to do something as basic as copy and pasting.

The funny thing is that at least one of the main goals of this "high level" content management seems to be user-friendliness.

What was that saying? "If you create something that even an idiot can use, then only an idiot will want to use it"?

The funny thing is that third party apps don't have this issue with synchronization bullcrap. They simply let you add and remove files into an app's typical file system. I can easily insert movies into my VLC's app space, for example, without worrying about "media libraries".

Multimedia on iPad sucks anyway, so I don't use it much. I guess the only stupidity is syncing PDFs then, and I'm tempted to use iBooks to read them, rather than stuff like Kindle.

One ipod touch 4th gen to go with a high-end amp that had a charger/docking accessory, figured why not. Never again. itunes is shit, plain and simple. I was using an alternative but the iOS update broke that, and added more bugs that never got fixed.

Da Werecat said:

The funny thing is that at least one of the main goals of this "high level" content management seems to be user-friendliness.

What was that saying? "If you create something that even an idiot can use, then only an idiot will want to use it"?

They apparently imagine "user-friendliness" as letting the user to do complex actions in just few clicks and without understanding what's actually (technically) happening there, only the very obvious interface like "I click this icon and the device will do what I particularly want".

The problem is that the programming might not be always perfect and proof of errors, AND that "high-level" management seems to forbid / restrict the user's capability to do the low-level himself "for his own good and comfort", which is always a user-unfriendly thing, IMO.

AgentSpork said:

Back when I still had an iPad, I think I used a program called iExplorer for file management so that I didn't have to use iTunes. Seemed to work okay for me, so you could always check that out.

http://goo.gl/Ebsgpv

Thanks for posting this, like everyone else here I fucking hate iTunes. Easily dragging and dropping content > Having painful diarrhea > using iTunes.

One approach here would be to ditch iTunes for movies and music, and to not play files on the iPad directly from it's own hard drive - so, have them stored and managed on your PC (or Apple equivalent), and then stream them to the iPad, using something other than iTunes, when you want to watch/listen. This is my approach; I never have to interact with iTunes for anything - I use JRemote on the iPad, with their Media Center running on the PC, but I think plex will do the same thing and is free.

That wouldn't work if you're in the train, without Internet, and you only have the portable device with you.

"The Cloud" is simply a codeword for "somebody else's computer".

Maes said:

"The Cloud" is simply a codeword for "somebody else's computer".

It's just bullshit buzzwords for all I can see it as.

I was under the false assumption that .app must have been a file extension, until I was given an iPad a couple years back. I wonder how many hip-and-with-it iPad fanatics realize app is short for application?

"Back in my day, we called 'em EXEs, damnit!"

At college, nobody that studies computer science with me has an Iphone or any other Apple device, because everybody is aware that Apple makes costly devices that are not worth buying. They make everything that is possible to prevent you from getting your data you have stored in their device.

Doomkid said:

"Back in my day, we called 'em EXEs, damnit!"

Actually, having a specific extension for executables is pretty much an MS-DOS relic, which few other OSes, even "back then", followed. Most *NIX environments don't have any specific extension for executable binaries, or at least not a mandatory one. Some may have "bin" or "ex", but they are really in the minority.

axdoom1 said:

At college, nobody that studies computer science with me has an Iphone or any other Apple device, because everybody is aware that Apple makes costly devices that are not worth buying.

I find MacBooks to be quite popular with programmers.

I like the word "app", and I'm glad that traditional (i.e. not web/as-a-service) software is part of the mainstream vocabulary. I like programming apps.

printz said:

I like the word "app", and I'm glad that traditional (i.e. not web/as-a-service) software is part of the mainstream vocabulary. I like programming apps.

Though the word itself, a contraction of "applications", implies software with very specific properties, among which having a simplified interface, very specific focus, focusing a lot on data collection, on the "novelty" factor etc., let alone that a vast majority of apps are, in fact, website surrogates, so the "web" factor really sneaks in there through the back windows ;-)

My fiance owns a MacBookPro...and serious fuck that thing. I hate it and have no clue why she wasted her money on this piece of fucking technological shit. For one, the UI is damn confusing for absolutely no logical reason other than just to be different from Windows. Trying to find anything in that computer is next to impossible. The mouse pad on it decides to scroll me left and right to different windowed views I have no fucking use for nor want to be scrolled to (and does this almost at random or whenever more than one finger so much as GRAZES the fucking pad), to the point where I actually bought a cheap wireless mouse just to get it to fuck off and stop doing that. Also now they have this AppleID thing that synched automatically to the MacBook and the iPad we have which nearly had me toss both of them into the trash when it decided to lock us out of being able to use half the apps on the laptop, and pretty much ALL the apps on the iPad. I don't even get what the iPad is good for since its basically just a flat laptop the size of a book that does only half the things a laptop does anyway...

Now the MacBook is doing this retarded thing where it locks up for a minute after being taken off standby, then CD drive either comes or whatever the fuck its doing, and THEN it decides to either reboot or just return to normal functionality. Mind you this thing is only about 8 months old. I have no fucking clue what the hell is with the Apple obsession but yeah...the company sucks ass and its stuff is needlessly obfuscated and obviously put together in a huge fucking hurry.

Basically, fuck Apple. I've always thought their computers were subpar trash and thank god Jobs is dead so hopefully his former company will be eventually too.