Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Iconic Pale Blue Dot Photo Turns 25 Today

A quarter century ago today, one of our species's most famous, and no doubt most humbling, photographs was taken by the Voyager 1 spacecraft as it was rocketing out of the solar system.

Your thoughts on this milestone?

Very humbling indeed, and a very important milestone. You'd think more people would reconsider their views knowing that all we really register as on the universal scale is "mostly harmless". I find it very liberating to know with certainty that we are not the center of the universe we once thought ourselves to be.

All we have is this small dot and I wish we could all come together to protect it, namely from ourselves. But hey, we're a very flawed species. What keeps me going is the thought that maybe, just maybe, we can one say reach "Star Trek" level and become overall more united as a species.

To indirectly quote First Contact, "when humans realize they're not alone in the universe, it unites them in a way we once thought impossible." Hopefully one day we will be united in such a way and hopefully it will not require the invention of warp drive or the discovery of alien species!

we went from taking pictures of our planet to bitching about some guy's shirt after being able to capture footage from an asteroid. truly, we have come a long way since then.

These super close up videos of the Sun are really cool too.

I just roll my eyes whenever I hear someone saying "humans are a virus ", "humans are dumb animals". etc. what a bleak and short-sighted viewpoint.

Sure there are a lot of stupid people, but look at the amazing things we have achieved as a whole. You should be proud :P

It will be exciting if they manage to put a man on Mars in the near future. Imagine witnessing it live?

Captain Toenail said:

I just roll my eyes whenever I hear someone saying "humans are a virus ", "humans are dumb animals". etc. what a bleak and short-sighted viewpoint.

Humans are pathetic and weak animals, humankind is awesome. Every asshole that thinks they're a unique god-gifted achiever would drink from puddles and eat berries without the collective of everyone else.

Mesmerizing.

A unique planet, with unique people, in a small solar system, inside a big galaxy, surrounded by millions of other galaxies.

We humans are unique. Maybe not by personality, but each of us have a distinctive look that defines our appearance. Just don't get full of yourself and say you're a god given miracle.

The planet is beautiful, and so is nature. If only people would truly respect it.

Captain Toenail said:

Taking a picture of a rock in space is an insignificant achievement when humanity is barely capable of not destroying the planet they live on.

I would call it short sighted to dismiss the truly important, just to claim humanity is realy great. The big picture.

Captain Toenail said:

I just roll my eyes whenever I hear someone saying "humans are a virus "

Rofl, every time I hear someone say something like that all I can think is "You fucking dumb emo kid". We have done a lot of stupid bullshit, but we've also done some truly amazing things.

dew said:

Every asshole that thinks they're a unique god-gifted achiever would drink from puddles and eat berries without the collective of everyone else.

Agreed. I can't freakin' stand people who don't acknowledge the many, many flaws of humans and their actions. The type that just live in their bubble of "Boy, I'm just so awesome! It will all be okay, it doesn't matter how hard we fuck the planet - God's got our back!" That said, I personally haven't done anything to save the planet, so bleh.

Truth be told, I have trouble deciding if I'm more disappointed that we're destroying this place, or if I'm immensely grateful that we're here to appreciate it in spite of what we're doing. I guess it depends on mood.. Emo doucher mood = "Damn, we've fucked this place hard" and happy/positive mood = "So glad we're here to enjoy it!" I guess the balance between the two keeps me sane.

I often wish I knew exactly what I could say/do to convince myself and many others to take drastic positive actions. Even simple hobbies like Doom mapping are wasteful because of the power needed for the computer and all that shit, but at the same token I can't imagine how nuts I'd go if I couldnt open up DB after a shitty day at work.

That's my small rant.

We are (probably) the only animal on the planet with enough intelligence, empathy and foresight to see, feel and know the consequences of our actions and yet still choose carry out so many selfish, short sighted and cruel acts. To a greater or lesser extent, we've all done it.