Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

The Upcoming "DOOM" title Thoughts,leaks and expectations ... etc

Keeping my fingers crossed for a satisfying gore system. What GoatLord and Caffeine said about it sounded good, though. With all the tech nowadays, a dynamic gore system should be a big priority in FPS like DOOM.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

So the game will be moddable,and it's modding tools will be hard to use ? sounds promising .....

Whenever I think of modding, I think of teletubbies as enemies and hentai and anime crap. I am terribly prejudicial of modding.

Mogul said:

I'm worried about the game's look and feel. I don't expect that the game will be as amazing to look at as either DOOM 3 or Rage (blurry closeup textures notwithstanding, in reference to Rage's beauty). Kenneth Scott is long-gone from id and I have no idea who their new art director is, but unless they hired someone specifically to adopt Scott's style, I expect the game's characters, armor, weapons, and architecture to look quite different from anything we've seen from id for ~15 years. And to be honest, that saddens me. I have faith that it will still be really good, but I'm HUGELY partial to Kenneth Scott's design sense. That guy will be extremely hard to replace. I'm curious to see where they go, but I'm not expecting Kenneth Scott level. Sad.

All in all, I expect that it will be a fun game, and I hope they take the design to a place that actualizes something uniquely DOOM, yet not something we've seen from them.

Hugo Martin is the new art director. The guy who helped make Pacific Rim.

DooM_RO said:

Why not both? One of the staples of Doom is variety in all things which is why a lot of people thought Doom 3 was lacking.

I agree there should be variety. I thought it was silly that even in Hell DOOM3 kept that corridor crawling up.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Whenever I think of modding, I think of teletubbies as enemies and hentai and anime crap. I am terribly prejudicial of modding.

Modding is a reason for people to keep creating their own contents and share them, it can be also considered as a reason to keep playing the game,i'm pretty sure people will get bored quickly of DOOM4 after finishing it if there was nothing else to do with it ..

DooM_RO said:

Hugo Martin is the new art director.

I checked out his online character portfolio. There was one character design in particular that gave me the sense that he could make a similar contribution to the DOOM universe to what Kenneth Scott was able to do. I'm cautiously optimistic.

@shaviro

Thanks. And yeah, I think the biggest obstacle for mod teams interested in id Tech 5 is the insane amount of art they have to create to map onto the world. It's hard enough for modders to ship ~AAA results without having to hand-detail every single part of the world. Granted, the big picture of Rage is stunningly beautiful. In that macro sense, it might be my favorite-looking game ever. I don't know if the results are worth basically sacrificing any reasonable hope for a mod team campaign, though. We'll see what id has in store, though. I'm sure at either E3 or Quakecon, we'll learn a lot more.

Mogul said:

I checked out his online character portfolio. There was one character design in particular that gave me the sense that he could make a similar contribution to the DOOM universe to what Kenneth Scott was able to do. I'm cautiously optimistic.

@shaviro

Thanks. And yeah, I think the biggest obstacle for mod teams interested in id Tech 5 is the insane amount of art they have to create to map onto the world. It's hard enough for modders to ship ~AAA results without having to hand-detail every single part of the world. Granted, the big picture of Rage is stunningly beautiful. In that macro sense, it might be my favorite-looking game ever. I don't know if the results are worth basically sacrificing any reasonable hope for a mod team campaign, though. We'll see what id has in store, though. I'm sure at either E3 or Quakecon, we'll learn a lot more.

He worked on Dante's Inferno. I haven't played it but I've seen a few videos and screenshots. It's very unique and very disturbing. People have also praised the art style shown at Quakecon. I'd say that from an artistic POV Doom 4 is in good hands.

Here is one of his hell concepts for Dante's Inferno

It looks great but not sure it's one of the disturbing ones. Here are a few other concepts. Not sure he made them though. The creature in the second and third image is the cerberus.

I think I'd rather if they mostly just put the original monsters honestly, maybe a few extras wouldn't hurt that much though.

co-op mode, FFS.
non-linear
infighting
just so many monsters on screen at one time, just too many
not too much melee combat at all
If they are going to emulate Doom 3 at all, they should emulate the Lost Mission expansion pack

basically anything that was an integral part of RAGE should be scrapped as an evolutionary dead-end

DooM_RO said:

It looks great but not sure it's one of the disturbing ones. Here are a few other concepts. Not sure he made them though. The creature in the second and third image is the cerberus.

They seem having coming from Silent Hill rather than Doom.

I hope to see a big mass station with a good level of openess, a semi-sandbox envvironment.

I try to keep myself free of any possible expectations. The less I 'expect', the more open my mind will be to whatever we receive in the final product.

Superluigieth1 said:

i want hr giger to do the art and fucking valve to do the level designing and
john carmack to do the engine

Imagine if ID Uses Valve's Source 2 Engine for DOOM 4 ...

In the meantime, it's February 19th. The DOOM Beta was announced exactly year ago.

A year after the announcement of the >>Beta<< we still haven't seen a single screenshot of the game. Logic.

Touchdown said:

In the meantime, it's February 19th. The DOOM Beta was announced exactly year ago.

A year after the announcement of the >>Beta<< we still haven't seen a single screenshot of the game. Logic.

Yeah (Hell) people are so selfish :P ....

Superluigieth1 said:

i want hr giger to do the art and fucking valve to do the level designing and john carmack to do the engine

Eh! H.R giger died like a year ago.

I like H.R Giger, but I don't want Doom 4 to have massive phallic shaped things everywhere. If I wanted that, I could just play DTST or whatever it's called.

So instead of the next Doom game having state of the art gaming tech like the others it's going to be chained by console limitations.

The worst console generation ever, where at release an average PC is still 2 years ahead hardware wise.

Console quality everything, the chance of proper modding tools like Doombuilder are thin.

Might just be another forgettable, awkward release like Wolfenstein.

No modding community will make it dead in a month.

I don't really expect to get anything worthwhile from the industry these days, even if it has the iD Software name tacked on to it.

Sorry if I'm going to sound more stupid than usual, but the DOOM site says "2015" in the lower copyright text. Didn't the site launch in 2014 ? Does it just refer to the site being updated?

Mogul said:
The new DOOM will be way less about atmosphere than DOOM 3, and instead will focus on expanding what's possible through gameplay that's unique to DOOM's identity. This means melee combat and insane finishing moves that are gratuitously gory, like Brutal DOOM or the DOOM comic. They've hinted at this this, so that's what I'm expecting, predictably enough.

This is what I'm expecting as well. We know iD had a bunch of meetings to establish what "Doom" means. They probably thought about how Doom is unique, and how they can amplify and evolve that uniqueness to put out an game that sticks out in the current shooter market.

And of course, what comes to mind is the brutality, the power, and the fast pace. The open level design is very important as well, but I think iD will emphasize those other aspects to really grab attention. And I think they're trying to do that via a dynamic gore system, a new melee system, an exo-suit that allows for greater movement, and some old-school gameplay mechanics like no reloading, seamless item pickups, faster movement, etc.

Cutting edge visuals are synonymous with Doom as well, so that would help.

Most thing i hate in FPS Games is killing ,Killing and killing all The way to finish a level ,I don't want enemies to be randomly placed in levels i Want the levels to be well Designed and the Enemies to appear in the Right place and at the Right time for some Action,Suspense and horror (Monsters hiding in darkness,Appearing from nowhere ...etc)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Most thing i hate in FPS Games is killing ,Killing and killing all The way to finish a level ,I don't want enemies to be randomly placed in levels i Want the levels to be well Designed and the Enemies to appear in the Right place and at the Right time for some Action,Suspense and horror (Monsters hiding in darkness,Appearing from nowhere ...etc)

I expect Doom 4 to try and strike a good balance. GoatLord said there were some scary, moody sections in the Doom 4 demo, but still plenty of fast-paced action set in larger environments. So it seems to be on the right track.

It should also be noted that it was explicitly stated that combat would be the focus of the reveal. This is reassuring, not only because the combat was absolutely stellar, but because those other elements we cherish so much--interesting layouts, moody lighting, strategic enemy/item placement, extreme contrasts and demonic imagery--will probably be shown at a later date, most likely this year's QuakeCon. The demo was, in many ways, so true to what Doom represents, that I would argue that most of the other idiosyncrasies I mentioned were present, even if only briefly. I really feel like the positive reaction from the reveal gave id an ego boost, the kind that a troubled company whose flagship franchise has been suffering from identity crisis has so sorely needed. There seems to be a genuine desire to let the fans know that id didn't sell out, while simultaneously suggesting that a series as straightforwardly run-and-gun as Doom has room for growth. It was obvious from the reveal that they had learned from the gameplay issues that ultimately left Doom 3 imbalanced.